getfast

11/21/11: Jon Felton steps in as the Florida Region Director

sixshooter

Note to self:

1. Play lottery

2. Win lottery

3. Build large road course in hilly area somewhere north or northeast of Tampa Bay.

4. ??????

5. Profit!!!

Welcome to Florida. Our tracks are flat.

I've never been there but is there any room for a configuration other than an oval at the Petty/Disney track?

And USA Speedway (Lakeland) was tiny (5/8 mile paperclip shape) and has been disassembled. I drove there in an oval track car many moons ago.

dew-e

Nah, not really any room for anything but an oval there. That location also lacks the ability to grid/release a large number of cars. Really just set up for two or three cars to be out there at a time. You could probably setup a really cool autocross course on it, but I would guess that the daily rental cost would make that totally unaffordable.

King Tut

Time to find some investors and create a North Florida Motorsports Park (seems to be the popular naming scheme with the new Atlanta and NOLA tracks).

TurboShortBus
I've never been there but is there any room for a configuration other than an oval at the Petty/Disney track?

I actually met with the Disney track manager last January to put the bug in their ear about making some sort of an infield road course and renting the place to one of the many driving clubs in Florida. He seemed to be somewhat interested, but not at the expense of the Petty Driving Experience program. They were willing to let us rent the place on weekdays or weekend afternoons. Uh, no.

They would need to add a good bit of asphalt to make a road course suitable for traffic and passing, and then that would undoubtedly affect drainage and impervious area to the point that the Mickey-shaped retention pond in the infield would need to be expanded. They recently started some sort of "exotic car driving experience" with a really half-assed looking course that uses part of the existing paved infield and cannot possibly be wide enough for passing.

I just stumbled across the Disney manager's contact info the other day, so maybe it's time for another conversation.

As for the trainwreck in Starke, I was told that NASA HQ took one look at it a few years ago and said that they would not sanction a race there for insurance reasons (and I don't blame them).

Mark

getfast
http://www.nasaproracing.com/2011/11/jon-felton-steps-in-as-the-flo.html

NAPA VALLEY, CA (November 21, 2011) The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) announced today that Steve and Barbara Nix, long time Florida Region Directors and founders of the Performance Drivers Club, will be handing off the region to a new leader for the 2012 season.

Year 1 = done. How'd we do? Feel free to send me your thoughts anytime, jfelton at drivenasa dot com.

Year 2 coming soon!!!

obzezzed350

2012 was great! Keep on doing work!