First time with NASA, where do I fall, what group?

FASTFATBOY

I have five 2 day DE's, on all but one event I was signed off to solo on the first day of the event and did solo the entire second day.

Group 2?

I am thinking about going to the event at the new facility in New Orleans during the new years weekend. But it appears that group 1 and 2 run together? Is that right? For a group 2 guy that would involve a ton a point bys wouldn't it? Dont think I am ready for group 3 as I have never passed in all areas before, only designated areas.

Thanks in advance.

You'll have fast guys in HPDE1 and HPDE2 regardless of the car they drive. I wouldn't worry about who's in what group. When I was in DE1 in my Miata, it wasn't a rarity for me to be turning some of the faster laps in the group.

FWIW, I've run entire solo weekends without picking up any time. I've NEVER run a weekend with an instructor where I didn't greatly improve some portion and drop my lap time.

You should probably sign up for DE1. For first timers most regions will want an instructor to give you a check ride and then you can get moved up to DE2. NASA-SE usually runs separate DE1 and DE2 except for the last session on Sunday to give a little more track time. Between DE, TT, and racing the weekend schedule is jam packed.

they'll be pretty good about signing you off to the next higher run group if you're showing mastery of what you're supposed to learn from the level you're in. Moving up a level mid-event happens all the time.

I want in instructor in the car, just the thought of 1-2 running together seems like it makes for some big trains trying to pass.

The only way to guarantee an instructor is to sign up for HPDE1. HPDE1 and HPDE2 are the same speeds on track in the big picture.

Don't be too anxious to try to jump to a "faster" group before you are ready. Which end of the freight train would you rather be at? The one waiting a bit to get around a couple slower cars or the guy in front that gets all the dirty looks in the download meeting because you are holding everyone up ?

NASA has been at this game since 1991... We've got HPDE pretty well figured out over the past 20 years. Freight trains sometimes happen in combined 1 and 2, but are quickly dealt with to provide quality track time for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with staying in DE1 & 2 longer. I was signed off last year to move up to 3 and after the first 2 sessions, I knew I was not quite ready. It was a big change, especially since 3 & 4 run together and the 4 guys are....much better.