94 Miata with 2001 VVT head classing

GraemeD

Considering that both the 94 & 2001 Miatas are classed the same, TTE, but with a weight differance. What would be the best route, dyno reclass or points? I calculate it will end up in TTD on points.

Here are my plans:

2001 complete head and pistons. (By time I am done it will be almost a 2001 engine)

Since I cleaned up the ports in the new head, I will have to take those point anyway.

The 2001 pistons are 10:1 vs the 9:1 of the 94, I think I should take points for that, am I wrong?

Would I have to take points for using the stock 01 cams? The 94 cams will not work in that head.

if I use the stock 2001 fuel rail & injectors, should I take points?

Aftermarket ECU and seperate VVT controller, I am taking points for the ECU.

header & cat delete, SM rear muffler, points taken for those.

Plus chassis points

If I use points, can I freely play with the tune? I know that will not be allowed after a dyno re-class

Thanks,

Mazda Miata 1.8L ('94-'97) TTE 2330

Mazda Miata 1.8L ('99-'05) TTE 2400

Technically, they are not classed the same, as they are listed as 2 separate base vehicles with different weights.

Per TTA-TTF classification form item C2, you will need to dyno re-class for the non-OEM head. You're getting close to performing an engine swap anyway, and if you did, you would need to dyno re-class per item C1. The points method does not look to be a legal option.

With a dyno re-class, depending on the power and weight of the car, you may be able to stay in TTE. There are no guarantees, though.

Mark

Putting the 01 head on the 94 shortblock is a textbook example of making a "hybrid" engine per the ruleset. Follow what it says to do when you make one of those.

Putting the 01 head on the 94 shortblock is a textbook example of making a "hybrid" engine per the ruleset. Follow what it says to do when you make one of those.

Bold, italics, and underline? It's the smackdown trifecta!

Mark

If you want to be competitive you're in dyno reclass territory. Once you complete the transplant of the head, get your dyno numbers and send an email to Greg Greenbaum. He will usually provide several options for your car if you ask. For example, if you want to be classed in TTE, tell him your RWHP and he'll come up with a weight. I think that if you go by points, you will be in TTD. You haven't mentioned suspension, LSD, aero, or tires, and those will also add points.

For example, when I was running in TTE (in 2009 before the increased weight for 2011), my TTE dyno re-classed Miata (1993 chassis with 2000 BP-4W engine) could make 134RWHP at 2355lbs.

• 2 weeks later...
:lol:

There are enough Miata reclasses floating around out there that I bet you could figure out what to expect back. Rip open Google and go for it.

The naturally aspirated VVT swap is not well documented and I know of very few people running this swap. However, I plan to swap this onto my daily and see what kind of numbers it makes. If he finds a few, I'd love to share the links here.

power is power, weight is weight, base class is a base class. Now if your the numbers your frakenmiata might or might not make could be tough to research, but...