Tire Contingencies

UKRBMW

Rob - yes, both Hoosier and Goodyear specify National Only events.

Jeff - last year when I ran NARRA they gave out 2 for 1st place with minimum of 3 in class, was a very awesome setup. I checked their website, but don't see anything posted yet.

I'm with everyone, probably going to buy some other tires and use what fits best for car counts. It's going to make sense now for people to move up or down to get car counts up. Kevin - you might want to let Alvin go crazy and have a spare tune for ST1!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Varkwso

• UKRBMW

• sperkins

• Cobra4B

Yes and yes (bob woodman tires for us in SE). They are pretty good, but drop off after first 4-5 heat cycles, but will run to about 11-12 if you rotate and take care of them.

I'm very curious about BFGs. Rumor has it they changed their compound and is suppose to be very stout. Not sure if it's an A6, but I'm willing to try it.

Rob - yes, both Hoosier and Goodyear specify National Only events.

Jeff - last year when I ran NARRA they gave out 2 for 1st place with minimum of 3 in class, was a very awesome setup. I checked their website, but don't see anything posted yet.

I'm with everyone, probably going to buy some other tires and use what fits best for car counts. It's going to make sense now for people to move up or down to get car counts up. Kevin - you might want to let Alvin go crazy and have a spare tune for ST1!

yea, the scca national is a whole different level than its regional and divisional programs. its a shame that the nasa model really wont allow for national class racing.

yea, the scca national is a whole different level than its regional and divisional programs. its a shame that the nasa model really wont allow for national class racing.

And I'm glad, the multi-tier system doesn't work anymore. Spreads everything too thin.

Yes and yes (bob woodman tires for us in SE). They are pretty good, but drop off after first 4-5 heat cycles, but will run to about 11-12 if you rotate and take care of them.

I'm very curious about BFGs. Rumor has it they changed their compound and is suppose to be very stout. Not sure if it's an A6, but I'm willing to try it.

Looks like they are more then Hoho Dots, but much cheaper then Hoho slicks. Cycle wise ^ that's more then I get from a pair of R6's anyway. Hmm do skinny slicks work on heavy cars?

And I'm glad, the multi-tier system doesn't work anymore. Spreads everything too thin.

i agree to some extent. i have certainly seen the best regional entries pulling away from regional nasa championship competition to better prepare for the national championship level. so, you end up with defacto national level racing that is still to the detriment of the regional structure.

scca has a lot of problems not the least of which is that their national class often dont translate at all to their regional classes.

its interesting that the ford racing nasa program is not race based like their scca program, but regional championship based.

Kevin - you might want to let Alvin go crazy and have a spare tune for ST1!

That thought crossed my mind when the Hoosier details came out. I may spend a long weekend looking at the spare parts hanging in my garage and then go read the ruleset around ST1 to see what I can and cannot do. Problem is, I think Alvin can only get to about 379rwhp on my car without me spending any money. I simply don't think that is enough, especially since right now I have the car as light and as balanced as possible without spending another $2,000.

-Kevin

Got that checkbook handy? I need to call about a home equity line!

I forgot the BFGs were +13, which I dont have the points for. Looks like I need crank up my meth lab output to keep buying HoHos..

So who's got the next event coming up that's running R1's? In for data to see if they really changed the compound or not.

I did a bunch of reasearch last summer; spoke with Damon ad Tire Rack and called BFG.

They did indeed change the compound, it seems a bit more progressive. They take a bit longer to heat, but seem to hang in a bit longer than R6s (driver style veries, of course). I have no firm data and won't until April this year, but believe when both tires are "right", they're very close to each other in terms of lap time.

I had no doubts that the 245's would be fast for TT... I'm more curious how they would last over a 35 min race. But great job on the lap Brian, that's a fantastic lap.

2:03.6 - wow! It's amazing they can put the power down with that little thread!

PS How sad is this? Track record and great run, but 4 people in class and no tires

2:03.6 - wow! It's amazing they can put the power down with that little thread!(

Yeah. Hoosier should advertise that record. Says a lot about their products.