Nor-cal 2012

wic

Is any one planning on running in HC-2 next year in Nor-cal? I would like to, but I don't want to be the only one. No sense having Thunder Roadsters tear up my car if I don't have anyone to race.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hagakure

• jmeris

• RCarroll

• Zook

Top Posters In This Topic

I just looked at the 2011 season results. What happened to all the Honda Challenge cars? All I saw were a 3 H1 and 8 H2 drivers listed. Why no H4? Did everyone switch to SpecE30?

Full disclosure: I race an ITA/H4 CRX Si up in the Pacific Northwest with the ICSCC and I was hoping to make it down there for at least one NASA race. I got my start with NASA SoCal back in 2006 doing HPDEs and still maintain a NASA membership.

The ICSCC still has an active H4 class (using NASA rules) but we normally only have 3-4 H4 cars at each race.

I'll be moving up to NorCal spring of next year. My car needs a gearing swap and ballast to be legal for H4. I can run it H2 as-is but would be uncompetitive due to no camber adjustment/aero/overweight/stock cams/stock IM. However, I would be willing to run H2 vs PTE if the numbers were enough.

Is any one planning on running in HC-2 next year in Nor-cal? I would like to, but I don't want to be the only one. No sense having Thunder Roadsters tear up my car if I don't have anyone to race.

There will be a few racers in H2 next year. There will be Donna, you, Paul Garcia, me if I get off my ass and put a K20a3 engine in my car.

I'll be moving up to NorCal spring of next year. My car needs a gearing swap and ballast to be legal for H4. I can run it H2 as-is but would be uncompetitive due to no camber adjustment/aero/overweight/stock cams/stock IM. However, I would be willing to run H2 vs PTE if the numbers were enough.

Race in H2. Why spend money for a gearing swap and ballast for H4, when no one races there?

For the regional races, you don't need aero and cams. I don't know what car you drive or what engine you have, but I have an OEM ITR manifold with AEM fuel rail for sale. As far a camber adjustment is concerned: I have BRAND NEW (in their boxes) a set of Skunk2 pro series front AND rear camber kits for a EG/DC2 I'd be willing to sell to you if you race in H2.

Also, racing in Honda Challenge allows you to be a part of HPD's Raceline program. Where else can you get Honda OEM parts at such a large discount? Racing in PT a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/i/j//l/m/n/o/p/q/r/s/t/u/v/w/x/y/z doesn't allow you to do that. In addition, the contingency money/prizes provided to Honda Challenge racers (regional or national) is UNMATCHED. At a regional race weekend, a Honda challenge racer that wins a race can win a set of tires, get $250 HPD bucks, and also get Hawk brakes certificates for pads. I can't think of any other grassroots class that can match that.

So hopefully, we'll see you in HC next spring!

Race in H2. Why spend money for a gearing swap and ballast for H4, when no one races there?

For the regional races, you don't need aero and cams. I don't know what car you drive or what engine you have, but I have an OEM ITR manifold with AEM fuel rail for sale. As far a camber adjustment is concerned: I have BRAND NEW (in their boxes) a set of Skunk2 pro series front AND rear camber kits for a EG/DC2 I'd be willing to sell to you if you race in H2.

Also, racing in Honda Challenge allows you to be a part of HPD's Raceline program. Where else can you get Honda OEM parts at such a large discount? Racing in PT a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/i/j//l/m/n/o/p/q/r/s/t/u/v/w/x/y/z doesn't allow you to do that. In addition, the contingency money/prizes provided to Honda Challenge racers (regional or national) is UNMATCHED. At a regional race weekend, a Honda challenge racer that wins a race can win a set of tires, get $250 HPD bucks, and also get Hawk brakes certificates for pads. I can't think of any other grassroots class that can match that.

I have an LS B18B. My comp weight for PTE is 100lbs higher than it would be for H2 so I could ditch my current ballast and drop more weight. I probably wouldn't do cams/IM since I would need a re-tune as well...which = $$$. I would want to move to 225/45's vs 205/50's (what I currently run) since that's an easy switch. I might have to take you up on that offer for the camber arms when I get up there and get settled...

The part in bold is why I would probably do H2 vs PTE. If funds allowed I could then eventually add the rest of the allowed mods to the car.

If folks turn out to race H2 I will do some H2 races as well. The car is being set up for Enduro (E1), but will stay power legal for H2, as I am only adding cam gears and a tune (w/Hondata) to the stock H22. I can add ballast to reach the porky 2725 pounds the Prelude needs to be for HC.

There will be a few racers in H2 next year. There will be Donna, you, Paul Garcia, me if I get off my ass and put a K20a3 engine in my car.

• 2 weeks later...

So far in Nor Cal in 2012 it's looking like:

H1-

Hartanto?

Kraus?

Meris?

H2:

Donna G

Paul Garcia

Percy

"ILIKETODRIVE"-sorry don't know your name

Jim?-aka "Calif Kid"

Kiamana-Twin Cam Motorsports owner

Meris?

Glenn S. (getting his license early 2012)

Chris S?

Note - I've been running HPDE-4, but will be switching over to TT at the start of 2012, and will see how my times do. I'm also going to go to the 'Art of Road Racing' in Jan at Thunderhill to get a little more track time and passing/braking in close quarters. I might get into w2w racing in HC (would run in HC2), but I'm really not sure when. It is GREAT to see the HC car count going back up though!!

- Jim

So far in Nor Cal in 2012 it's looking like:

H1-

Hartanto?

Kraus?

Meris?

H2:

Donna G

Paul Garcia

Percy

"ILIKETODRIVE"-sorry don't know your name

Jim?-aka "Calif Kid"

Kiamana-Twin Cam Motorsports owner

Meris?

Glenn S. (getting his license early 2012)

Chris S?

... I'm bummed that Toyo is ack though. I hate, hate, hate RA-1s.

Shouldn't be a big deal...everyone else in HC is running them.

I know...just a preference issue. I hate squishy sidewall tires. Of course it's a level field with everyone running them.

I hate squishy sidewall tires. Of course it's a level field with everyone running them.

I'm not sure which size RA-1's you were looking to use, but you might want to consider the 235-40-17's. Those sidewalls are pretty thin/stiff.

I hope to come out of hiding next year! Still have the Car, just needs a little tinkering.

Let me know if you need a hand...or a lift. I will likely have chris' b20 teg for next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Donna and JMer are in H2 for 2012? Heck, I think I'm going to be in then! I just moved back to California from overseas (been gone 4 years). FartMachine (Andrie's old H1 car from long time ago) blew its motor in 2007 and has been sitting. I can restore it to run H2.

Interesting...looks like there may be a lot of H2 cars next year...good for norcal HC. That being said it looks like I will be running USTCC next year, which also looks to be adding 4-6 new cars for a cosnsistent field of 15 or so.

That being said it looks like I will be running USTCC next year, which also looks to be adding 4-6 new cars for a cosnsistent field of 15 or so.

Really?

Why?? $750 for registration fees entices you, PLUS a RIDICULOUS $350 "DECAL" fee at the beginning of the year? By the first race, you've already spend $1100 and not turned a wheel on the track!!

If you're gonna spend that kind of money, you might as well race one World Challenge race and be on TV. At least you'll have a decent sales pitch and incentive for potential sponsors to financially support you and recoup your costs.

As far as the consistent field of 15 or so, is that solely in Nor Cal/West coast or does that include the East Coast?

Well, I've ran that series before and another HC champ has run that series as well (and won an USTCC championship)...We both left USTCC pissed off.

I just can't see why you would pick that series over HC, considering the contingencies HC has over USTCC. Then again, if you decided to race in USTCC because they don't use Toyo's and since you don't like RA-1's, I guess it's right up your alley. (Come to think of it, USTCC doesn't have a spec tire yet for 2012). Not to mention, you're probably NOT eligible for HPD's raceline/parts program racing in USTCC, as the ONLY Honda car eligible in USTCC is the 2006-Newer Civic SI-AND it MUST USE the HPD brake kit.

One cool thing about USTCC is that some races mandates a pit stop and changing one tire. Other than that, I can't see how it's better than HC. In USTCC costs don't exceed the benefits and exposure than racing in HC.

just my opinion

good luck in 2012

Good fedback, but just a few other points to consider:

1. You get 400.00 back if you do 2 laps, so the entry fee is actually 350.00

2. For some people it might be interesting to run in a series with several different makes.

3. Not thrilled with having to run at 2725 pounds

4. Did not know aboout the HPD restriction noting that the 2006+civic car was the only car eligible for HPD incentives, etc in USTCC. Good information.

5. Are all of these folks really going to come out and race HC next year? anyone considering H1? Will be interesting to see.

6. Your points are valid and well-taken. I'll think carefully before any final decisions are made.

That being said it looks like I will be running USTCC next year, which also looks to be adding 4-6 new cars for a cosnsistent field of 15 or so.

Really?

Why?? $750 for registration fees entices you, PLUS a RIDICULOUS $350 "DECAL" fee at the beginning of the year? By the first race, you've already spend $1100 and not turned a wheel on the track!!

If you're gonna spend that kind of money, you might as well race one World Challenge race and be on TV. At least you'll have a decent sales pitch and incentive for potential sponsors to financially support you and recoup your costs.

As far as the consistent field of 15 or so, is that solely in Nor Cal/West coast or does that include the East Coast?

Well, I've ran that series before and another HC champ has run that series as well (and won an USTCC championship)...We both left USTCC pissed off.

I just can't see why you would pick that series over HC, considering the contingencies HC has over USTCC. Then again, if you decided to race in USTCC because they don't use Toyo's and since you don't like RA-1's, I guess it's right up your alley. (Come to think of it, USTCC doesn't have a spec tire yet for 2012). Not to mention, you're probably NOT eligible for HPD's raceline/parts program racing in USTCC, as the ONLY Honda car eligible in USTCC is the 2006-Newer Civic SI-AND it MUST USE the HPD brake kit.

One cool thing about USTCC is that some races mandates a pit stop and changing one tire. Other than that, I can't see how it's better than HC. In USTCC costs don't exceed the benefits and exposure than racing in HC.

just my opinion

good luck in 2012

Wow, Donna and JMer are in H2 for 2012? Heck, I think I'm going to be in then! I just moved back to California from overseas (been gone 4 years). FartMachine (Andrie's old H1 car from long time ago) blew its motor in 2007 and has been sitting. I can restore it to run H2.

We will be racing the full season, just finished putting the B-17 together today, dyno next week and if it makes enough H/P test day soon after. We will be ready by the first regional in February. Donna and I are looking forward to being back in Honda Challenge! See ya all in February!

We will be racing the full season, just finished putting the B-17 together today, dyno next week and if it makes enough H/P test day soon after. We will be ready by the first regional in February. Donna and I are looking forward to being back in Honda Challenge! See ya all in February!

Hope to see you guys at Nats. this year. Good luck with the regular season.

Looks like the deal is done...chris owns my old prelude, and I own his teg...which is still a H2 car. I may make a few races next year afterall.