Decision on 255s... single out one tire? Why?

Cobra4B

If the tire is available to everybody, who the hell cares what it measures vs. what it's labeled? I could see if it was a special order, only available to Hoosier' favorite cars or something, but this was a loop hole everyone could take advantage of. If your car didn't respond as well to the combos it offered, that's just your warts.

C'mon.....that logic is only valid for cars that can physically fit them.....in the land of big cars and limitless fender space.

Also, it would sure suck for the guy who only has enough points to run a 245, compared to his competitor who can run the 255 which apparently is a million mm wider.

Dammit Hoosier! Why do you have to make things so complicated!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Varkwso

• Cobra4B

• drivinhardz06

• TurboShortBus

This is just fantastic! Well...goodbye aero...hello 285's. Alright!!!!!!!

Don't worry. We'll all figure out how to go faster anyway!

If the tire is available to everybody, who the hell cares what it measures vs. what it's labeled? I could see if it was a special order, only available to Hoosier' favorite cars or something, but this was a loop hole everyone could take advantage of. If your car didn't respond as well to the combos it offered, that's just your warts.

C'mon.....that logic is only valid for cars that can physically fit them.....in the land of big cars and limitless fender space.

That sounds suspicously like a whine....that dog does not hunt...

This is just fantastic! Well...goodbye aero...hello 285's. Alright!!!!!!!

Don't worry. We'll all figure out how to go faster anyway!

Yes everyone will. I know of at least 1 TTB C5 (legal in all ways) under construction, it will be on 245s, that will be brutally quick. But it will take some sorting. I suspect testing will begin this weekend at Road Atlanta if the tires get here in time

That sounds suspicously like a whine....that dog does not hunt...

Not at all.....I wouldn't run them if I could fit them. Too much rotating mass (with the larger wheels) for my car. I was pointing out just because they're available to everyone doesn't mean nothing should be done.

Perhaps not having money to finish my build is paying off. I can watch all you struggle and then go with what seems to work best! However, if you guys get all the good tires banned before my car is done I will be very upset.

There are many other Hoosier sizes that are also bigger than the sidewall indicates, but because no one is winning on them does that mean they dont count? Where does NASA draw the line?

There are many other Hoosier sizes that are also bigger than the sidewall indicates,

you should check out a lot of the V710's

, if you guys get all the good tires banned before my car is done I will be very upset.

This will be the preferrd setup by the time you get back on track....

146518-benefits-stretching-tires-dsc_0051-1.jpg

Also, it would sure suck for the guy who only has enough points to run a 245, compared to his competitor who can run the 255

Guess he should have spent his points better.

If the underlying idea here is to push the faster cars to run larger tires, then limit the downsizing that is rewarded with points.

Currently, the rules are pushing towards (the most) expensive setups that have an unhealthy appetite for stickers. Is this the intent?

Hmm, if you look down Hoosier's product list at the width of all the 255s and 275s as someone told me to do about 20min ago, it should be obvious why this happened.

So the 285/30/18 R6 is a tenth wider than the 295/30/18 (10.9" vs 10.8") ...why isnt that considered a 295?

(opening the can of worms )

I think that another look at this rule is clearly warranted. I'm starting to lean towards checking tires at tech for tread width.

I think we have found our first tech measurement volunteer! Here's your tape measure...

Good luck with measuring actual tread width, and the resultant arguments over 1/16" and where the tread starts and stops when somebody is staring at a DQ. Bulge to bulge width is the easiest thing to measure.

Mark

Bldge to buldge with a standard part number toe plate might not be that awful. Much more of a PITA than reading a sidewall though, ugh.

Hmm, if you look down Hoosier's product list at the width of all the 255s and 275s as someone told me to do about 20min ago, it should be obvious why this happened.

Just did this.

So the 285/30/18 R6 is a tenth wider than the 295/30/18 (10.9" vs 10.8") ...why isnt that considered a 295?

(opening the can of worms )

LOL

Edited by Guest

There was one of the 19" sizes that jumped out at me along the same lines too, except when you look at it it's acutally the larger size that is too small rather than the smaller size being bigger than normal.

and so maybe we've found the limit - maybe Greg feels 0.1" isn't enough to "bump a size up" but whatever the difference is between the particular 255 and normal 275s is enough to move it.

Edited by Guest

Perhaps when the tire was released 5-6 years ago, the above had some merit.

With the attention that this tire is getting, you would think that the tire was released on Sept 8th and somehow its widespread use (though clearly in everyone's points sheet) was a secret.

How long until the 245 is deemed to be too peculiar as well, by one measure or another (incl a C5 on 245s winning TTB and TTA next year)?

The Kumho 17" 275 is ~.5" wider (section width) than its Hoosier counterpart and ~.7" wider than the 18" 275 width Hoosier. Special ruling for that too?

At this rate, why not just spec the max tire sizes, per mfg, per class?

Except that even Hoosier's posted measurements aren't totally accurate.

P275/35ZR18 - 10.3" (tread width) 10.9" (section width)

P285/30ZR18 - 10.9" (tread width) 11.5" (section width)

P295/30ZR18 - 10.8" (tread width) 11.6" (section width)

P295/40ZR18 - 10.5" (tread width) 12.4" (section width)

P315/30ZR18 - 11.8" (tread width) 12.5" (section width)

Section width matters more, right? So can the 295/30ZR18 (since it is undersized compared to the 40) be treated as a 285?

But if tread width matters more...so confused...

There are a few other tires that have "plus sized" tread width so what is NASA going to do about these - wait until someone starts to win and then pass another band-aid rule? The Hoosier 255 has been around for 5 or 6 years without issue until cars started to win with it – now there is a rule change. Why not come up with a maximum manufacture tread width. Allow the manufactures to put down on print what the tread width is and adjust accordingly. I’m assuming that tire manufactures have guidelines that they go by to determine tire sizes. Maybe a call to Hoosier, Toyo, Goodyear etc is in order to come up with a fair way to sort this out?

That's exactly what I said 2 pages ago Ben, this is a band-aid at best - if it's not "corrected" until someone starts winning with it this could be a real PITA. Then at the current pace every 2 years we will have a tire that is "re-classed." Instead of taking the easy way out and just making a rule for one tire - make some phone calls to the various tire manufactures and find out which tires are pushing the limits of it's sidewall. I sent 1 e-mail to Jeff from Hoosier 2 years ago and asked him if the width of the 255 was correct - he got back to me stating that it should probably be marked 265 or 275. NASA might as well ask him if there are any others that we should "re-class" based on "plus sizing". I know that the guys that make the rules have other things on there plates but this is a poor example of how to deal with this problem as a whole. Honestly I've looked over a bunch of different sites and looked at a lot of different tire widths and this is not the only tire that may need "re-classing".

If NASA want's me to I'll start shooting e-mails off and do it for you guys so that we can have a fair tire rule that will stay consistant for more than 2 years.

I know Joel, but that was 2 pages ago (and seemingly overlooked/forgotten) - I thought it was such a good point that it needed to be reiterated and expanded upon.

And your suggestion above raises the question - what exactly is a "fair" tire rule? What was so unfair about the current one? Do actual tire measurements get us any closer to fair?

Edited by Guest

Except that even Hoosier's posted measurements aren't totally accurate.

I could see a tenth here or there maybe.