Decision on 255s... single out one tire? Why?

Cobra4B

....it impacts Z06 in PTA/TTA more than just about any other car.

<---------- PTA/TTA Z06 setup around the 255.

Again... my beef is that the tire is being treated exactly like the 275 when it's a very different tire that's actually slower than the 275.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Varkwso

• Cobra4B

• drivinhardz06

• TurboShortBus

Hey Cobra - I'm behind you on this!

In all seriousness Mark - try selling them on the Porsche forums, those are the perfect fronts for any of the 2007+ 911.

Before I send my 255s back to Hoosier and get some 245s can anyone at least confirm that this is 100% set in stone and no other rules changes are coming out?

You're absolutely right, many, including myself used 255. What I said is that it impacts Z06 in PTA/TTA more than just about any other car. If you start out in TTB and run 255s you only gain 1 point which in most cases won't make a huge difference.

Jeff - way ahead of you, I'm just not even coming down to RA and maybe you'll forget about this by February

My memory is the only thing still fully functional....

I'm very curious to know how the 255 did at Nationals this year. I only know of 3 classes that were won using that tire.

Can anyone add to the list below?

TTA - Rory (C5 vette)

TTB - Ben (C5 vette)

PTA - Scott (C5 vette)

99.9% 2nd place TTA (EVO) ran 255 A6.

1-2-3 TTA was like a 2 or 3 tenths spread. 2 on 255, one (3rd) on 275. 2 corvettes with totally different shock/tire packages, 1 EVO (totally different animal modified up to TTA) within that small spread tells me ain't nothing broke

I dunno what 2nd and 3rd place TTB ran but they had access to the 255 tire just as much as Ben did.

....it impacts Z06 in PTA/TTA more than just about any other car.

<---------- PTA/TTA Z06 setup around the 255.

Again... my beef is that the tire is being treated exactly like the 275 when it's a very different tire that's actually slower than the 275.

All depends, my Z is faster on 255s than the 275s...looks like I am going to the 255/40 next year

looks like I am going to the 255/40 next year

Hmmm... I see they only make that tire in R6 compound... wonder why? IMO the 255/40 would be perfect since it'll have more sidewall than the 255/35. But R6s are slow

1-2-3 TTA was like a 2 or 3 tenths spread. 2 on 255, one (3rd) on 275. 2 corvettes with totally different shock/tire packages, 1 EVO (totally different animal modified up to TTA) within that small spread tells me ain't nothing broke

I dunno what 2nd and 3rd place TTB ran but they had access to the 255 tire just as much as Ben did.

A lot of people in PT/TT are running them because you get a 275 wide tire for 255 pts. There was a loop hole, which people took advantage of and they should. The current tire rule has nothing to do with sidewall height or what tire works well on what car (too many variables). It's written around tread width and said tire is an outlier, which doesn't follow the typical width trend of the other 255 Hoosiers. This tire is 0.5" wider than all other 255's and the same width as the 275.

I was 3rd in TTB. I had pts to run them but my 245 rubs everywhere. Don't want to cut up my car just yet. Plus I doubt my NA 4-cyl would like the additional rotating mass of 18" wheels and larger tires.

Edited by Guest

Hi, I am car racing. Have we met?

Yeah I know I know... just annoying because it'll require me to spend even more money and experiment when I was one of the first people in my area to take the leap and run 255s to begin with. I tailored my car to the 255 and made quite a few changes to make it all work. Now it's back to the drawing board. Money I could have spent running February and March events will now have to be spent on new stuff (assuming 245s can't fit on a Z06 rear wheel).

I have to say that I’m very disappointed on how NASA has decided to deal with this. I understand the reasoning behind this rule change but this is a band aid at best. What NASA needs to do is make sure that this doesn't happen again. If tires are labeled one thing and measure out totally different then it's not hard to police before the event. Hoosier wasn't hiding the fact that the 255 was "plus sized" the tread width was on there website for anyone who cared to look into it. Now that tread width has become an issue let's get together and figure out a way to fix the situation.

There are a few other tires that have "plus sized" tread width so what is NASA going to do about these - wait until someone starts to win and then pass another band-aid rule? The Hoosier 255 has been around for 5 or 6 years without issue until cars started to win with it – now there is a rule change. Why not come up with a maximum manufacture tread width. Allow the manufactures to put down on print what the tread width is and adjust accordingly. I’m assuming that tire manufactures have guidelines that they go by to determine tire sizes. Maybe a call to Hoosier, Toyo, Goodyear etc is in order to come up with a fair way to sort this out?

Actually Mark, David took 2nd running 275's in his C5Z, Nate took 3rd running 255's on his Evo and they were both within .3 tenths of Rory and his C5Z on 255's. But on top of that Rory was on stickers for that final run on Sunday - Nate and David were on scrubs. So you could say that things are pretty even - as far as results go. I really think that those tires are too close to single out the 255.

I do understand why they came out with a rules change but I don't think that it's the right way to go about things. Close the loophole - don't just put a band-aid over it.

Hi, I am car racing. Have we met?

Yeah I know I know... just annoying because it'll require me to spend even more money and experiment when I was one of the first people in my area to take the leap and run 255s to begin with. I tailored my car to the 255 and made quite a few changes to make it all work. Now it's back to the drawing board. Money I could have spent running February and March events will now have to be spent on new stuff (assuming 245s can't fit on a Z06 rear wheel).

300+rwhp on a 245! Your nuts! That said, im going to a smaller tire as well

Actually Mark, David took 2nd running 275's in his C5Z, Nate took 3rd running 255's on his Evo and they were both within .3 tenths of Rory and his C5Z on 255's.

Ah, I had them flip flopped. Again showing how well my head was in the game that week

Point being Podium TTA was pretty close using various tires/shocks, etc. Which is a credit to the nasa pts system (not perfect, but not bad)

245s means I can run 390 rwhp Think a 245 A6 can put that down

Man - Corvette drivers are getting crazy! Then again Hoosier said 255/35 didn't have enough sidewall to support weight/lateral load from a Corvette and here we are.

That is a Heck of a tune on a stock LS6.

If the tire is available to everybody, who the hell cares what it measures vs. what it's labeled? I could see if it was a special order, only available to Hoosier' favorite cars or something, but this was a loop hole everyone could take advantage of. If your car didn't respond as well to the combos it offered, that's just your warts.

If the tire is available to everybody, who the hell cares what it measures vs. what it's labeled? I could see if it was a special order, only available to Hoosier' favorite cars or something, but this was a loop hole everyone could take advantage of. If your car didn't respond as well to the combos it offered, that's just your warts.

Amen.

I think its opening a huge can of worms to actually start to look at width of a tire mounted vs what it says on the side!

looking at the specs though this tire is wider than an actual 275 given the measured rim width that is a bit blatantly oversized even by hoosier standards

C'mon.....that logic is only valid for cars that can physically fit them.....in the land of big cars and limitless fender space.