Cobra4B

Decision on 255s... single out one tire? Why?

kbrew8991
Since some competitors cannot fit 18" wheels to their vehicles...

Then they just aren't being creative enough.

Mark

down in base classes of TTF and E, etc 255s cost too many points to be realistically useful. This tire was never on our radar back here...

Varkwso
...Since some competitors cannot fit 18" wheels to their vehicles, this creates an inequity.

There are two points here. 1. Since points are assessed to tires based on the width molded into the sidewall, and wider tires "cost" more points, the general concept is that wider tires can give a performance advantage. 2. The 255/35/18" tire is anomalously wide compared to other tires by the same manufacturer with the same width molded in the sidewall.

In my opinion, tires should generally conform to their width molded in the sidewall. I documented the anomalously wider tread width of a tire labeled 255, but that had a width equivalent to a 275 tire. If all competitors could use that tire, then it is fair since everyone can take advantage of the anomaly. However, this is not the case.

Pure BS.

kbrew8991

your BS call is BS, Jeff. Jus sayin.

Joshua
Pure BS.

Please explain how the reasoning explained in my post is without merit. I provide data, list the rationale that I use to support my claim, and I get this response? Is it B.S. that the sidewall markings should be relevant? Is the points system that is designed to allow competitors to modify their cars B.S.? Or is it B.S. that I provide empirical data in this discussion?

I look forward to your well-worded response so that the discussion can continue.

Varkwso
Pure BS.

Please explain how the reasoning explained in my post is without merit. I provide data, list the rationale that I use to support my claim, and I get this response? Is it B.S. that the sidewall markings should be relevant? Is the points system that is designed to allow competitors to modify their cars B.S.? Or is it B.S. that I provide empirical data in this discussion?

I look forward to your well-worded response spo that the discussion can continue.

The limitation you cited is without bases or defensible rationale. A car can run a 275 tire (even it is marked 255) or it cannot. Everyone had the option to run the tire and it was freely available to all.

The rest of the supporting data supports a flawed theorem. Your data is accurate. But not germane.

I must admit my thumbs got tired deleting so I got to the part I took issue with and stopped. Should have deleted after so my BS comment was more focused.

The premise it is "unfair" is flawed. But crying is allowed in racing (but not in baseball - credit Tom Hanks) it seems.

I have no dog in this specific tire fight. But I have a dog in where it can go.

Varkwso
your BS call is BS, Jeff. Jus sayin.

It pains me greatly...

ILIKETODRIVE

I'm going to go work for Hoosier and change the mold for the 275/35R15 to say 225/45R15 and hammer down on everyone in TTE/PTE until I am caught!

Varkwso
I'm going to go work for Hoosier and change the mold for the 275/35R15 to say 225/45R15 and hammer down on everyone in TTE/PTE until I am caught!

As long as the tire is available to all, knock yourself out. I have a sawzall to radius fenders. It will last till daddy takes the tbird away.

Greg G.

As long as the tire is available to all, knock yourself out. I have a sawzall to radius fenders. It will last till daddy takes the tbird away.

TxEvo8

I have a couple of questions; since this rule change has impacted me, I'd like to understand it a bit further.

1. Are there vehicles out there that run 275s, but for one reason or another cannot run the 255s and take advantage of the points?

2. Did y'all consider making the 275s the same points as the 255s?

Thanks for the insights..

jimbow
I have a couple of questions; since this rule change has impacted me, I'd like to understand it a bit further.

1. Are there vehicles out there that run 275s, but for one reason or another cannot run the 255s and take advantage of the points?

For example my Corvette starts in TTC, dyno reclass is TTB (up to **)

TTC base tire size is 255, TTB is 265 Unless I go to a real narrow rim I can't run these sizes.

Shoot the stock size that came on my car was 275 on 9.5x17 rims.

I can't get the Hoosier catalog to load this morning so I can't verify, IIRC I was looking for tires that fit on the 18" rims I have and load ratings and speed ratings and came up with the 275 or the 255 both have the same tread width. Thats the crux of the issue!

The 255 would give me back 2 pts! I think the C5 guys that start in TTA get 10 pts back!

Also if you take 255mm and convert it to inches it should be just more than 10" across not 11" like it is! That would be my guess as to why they didn't go backwards on the 275.

obzezzed350

So assuming Hoosier modifies their manufacturing of this "bastard" tire, this rule will be scrapped?

TxEvo8

TTC base tire size is 255, TTB is 265 Unless I go to a real narrow rim I can't run these sizes.

I can't get the Hoosier catalog to load this morning so I can't verify, IIRC I was looking for tires that fit on the 18" rims I have and load ratings and speed ratings and came up with the 275 or the 255 both have the same tread width. Thats the crux of the issue!

The 255 would give me back 2 pts! I think the C5 guys that start in TTA get 10 pts back!

Also if you take 255mm and convert it to inches it should be just more than 10" across not 11" like it is! That would be my guess as to why they didn't go backwards on the 275.

My point is, that everyone has the 255s availavble to them to use, so there should be no penalty. If you can run the 275, then you can also choose the 255 and use points elsewhere. Unless I'm missing something...

ILIKETODRIVE
Unless I'm missing something...

From how I read everything Hoosier needs to get their ducks in a row.

\/ Repost \/

232323232%7Ffp635%3A%3A%3Enu%3D856%3A%3E2%3A9%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D347%3B%3B5%3B44234%3Bnu0mrj

TxEvo8
Unless I'm missing something...

From how I read everything Hoosier needs to get their ducks in a row.

\/ Repost \/

232323232%7Ffp635%3A%3A%3Enu%3D856%3A%3E2%3A9%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D347%3B%3B5%3B44234%3Bnu0mrj

The tires are not "identical" Has anyone looked at them when mounted on identical wheels? The 255s are a little skinnier. But the point remains that EVERYONE that runs a 275, can choose the 255, and get the points that come along with running a smaller tire.

nasa ser

Jim, i think you are not looking at the problem from an overall view...

those running 225s or 245s or 285s may perceive these 255 (Cheater tire) as an unfair tire.

My point is, that everyone has the 255s availavble to them to use, so there should be no penalty. If you can run the 275, then you can also choose the 255 and use points elsewhere. Unless I'm missing something...

drivinhardz06
Jim, i think you are not looking at the problem from an overall view...

those running 225s or 245s or 285s may perceive these 255 (Cheater tire) as an unfair tire.]

I think what the other folks are saying, is how can it be a cheater tire, when any of the guys running 225's or 285's have access to it as well.

sperkins

I think what the other folks are saying, is how can it be a cheater tire, when any of the guys running 225's or 285's have access to it as well.

There are probably some cars that would violate the 4" track width rule with the Hoosier 255's????

As most of you already kow, I personally was happy to see the rule change. Because it affected my competetion and not me.

ILIKETODRIVE

My guess is this: even though everyone has access to said tire, the actual tire width (as wide as a 275 even though it says 255) goes against the rules regarding points for tires and how they're supposed to be used.

Greg G.

1) Not everyone can run 18's.

2) Although I love Hoosier and what they do for us, it is not fair to basically mandate that in order to be competitive a driver must use this tire due to the points advantage.

3) It is not fair to those that run smaller tires and do not get a free 1 to 6 points.

And, you will note that the BFG R1 got moved to the +13 point tire bracket (without a change in the compound--might want to check those tire sizes out....)

Varkwso
1) Not everyone can run 18's.

2) Although I love Hoosier and what they do for us, it is not fair to basically mandate that in order to be competitive a driver must use this tire due to the points advantage.

3) It is not fair to those that run smaller tires and do not get a free 1 to 6 points.

And, you will note that the BFG R1 got moved to the +13 point tire bracket (without a change in the compound--might want to check those tire sizes out....)

Reference 1) above. Rim size is not the constraint - be it 16,17,18, or 19. Brake clearance drives rim size more then any other constraint.

Someone needs to come up with a better tire then the A6 and get a contingency to match if they want to sell TTers more tires.

Greg G.

Reference 1) above. Rim size is not the constraint - be it 16,17,18, or 19. Brake clearance drives rim size more then any other constraint.

Someone needs to come up with a better tire then the A6 and get a contingency to match if they want to sell TTers more tires.

There are vehicles that have bolt patterns and wheel offsets that are just not available in 18" in anything that could be considered a racing wheel. So, there are drivers that cannot use 18's (unless perhaps they contracted for a custom one-off build of a set of wheels from a manufacturer at a price that would essentially make them cost as much as some of these vehicles). The other point is that some of the smaller vehicles that can use 275's in a 15 or 16" wheel, cannot fit an 18" in the wheel well (Honda's, VW's, etc). We have some of them competing in ST and TTS, TTA, etc.

TurboShortBus

If the low-rent idiots around the corner from me can fit 26" wheels on a Chevy Caprice, then I'm sure that an intelligent road racer can fit 18" wheels on a Civic. CRX donk!

Mark

sperkins

I don't buy any of this stuff for a second.

I think the 255 ruling was announced to keep the TTA cars from getting 10pts back.

There is no other logical explanation.

Greg G.
If the low-rent idiots around the corner from me can fit 26" wheels on a Chevy Caprice, then I'm sure that an intelligent road racer can fit 18" wheels on a Civic. CRX donk!

Mark

...Proving my point.... "at a price that would essentially make them cost as much as some of these vehicles"

Also, remember that many of these are strut vehicles, and the strut towers that are made up of the wheel wells cannot be modified to make the mods necessary to fit your 26" race wheels on your Smart car.