Decision on 255s... single out one tire? Why?

Cobra4B

I don't buy any of this stuff for a second.

I think the 255 ruling was announced to keep the TTA cars from getting 10pts back.

There is no other logical explanation.

besides the fact that they measure the same as the 275 that they're now being charged the same amt of points for you mean. Jus sayin

Now you may disagree with said logic, but that starts to get into the land of arguing about opinions on the internet at that point...

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Varkwso

• Cobra4B

• drivinhardz06

• TurboShortBus

Since when did the cost matter? Did you see the stack of Hoosiers in Nunnally's living room that he posted on Facebook? lol

Mark

I think the 255 ruling was announced to keep the TTA cars from getting 10pts back.

Look around for a TTB C5 with the 255s on it, and you might find the reason. Just an unofficial rumor, though...

Mark

• National Staff
I don't buy any of this stuff for a second.

There is no other logical explanation.

There is always the option of bumping the C5 Vette's up another asterisk if that was the reason.

If Hoosier or another tire manufacturer starts producing a tire that only comes in a 15" that is labeled as a 225, but is actually say a 275mm size, I'm sure that you will change your mind.

CCW can make an 18" wheel for anything. That counts as a racing wheel.

I believe the typical response to this excuse would be "you chose the car, you knew the rules and available parts, deal with the consequences" not "we will change the rules to suit your situation"

Regarding the R1s - not that it matters since no one actually thinks those are +13 tires, but are those BFG's measurements or independent measurements using the same method as the Hoosiers were measured?

• National Staff

Poor BFG, nobody here to argue about them getting bumped up in tire points (due to their larger than stated size I hear). Wait, that would mean that the argument about the 255 Hoosier being "singled out" is no longer valid. Wait, that would mean that this entire thread is invalid. Darn.....

• National Staff

That was quick, Ben---snuck it in right before I did (re: BFG). Actually, they are definitely +13 point tires....check the Rules.

If Hoosier or another tire manufacturer starts producing a tire that only comes in a 15" that is labeled as a 225, but is actually say a 275mm size, I'm sure that you will change your mind.

*crosses fingers*

Look around for a TTB C5 with the 255s on it, and you might find the reason.

Yeah because that wider tire was the only reason he whipped everyone. It had nothing to do with car prep, driving ability or just balls for that matter. Not poking at you personally, but I hope thta wasn't the real reason behind the new rule.

besides the fact that they measure the same as the 275 that they're now being charged the same amt of points for you mean. Jus sayin

Now you may disagree with said logic, but that starts to get into the land of arguing about opinions on the internet at that point...

Don't get me wrong. I love the new 255 ruling since it affects everyone but me.

My point: (old rules)

TTB:

A 255 Hoosier A6 is 12pts (one point credit)

A 275 Hoosier A6 is 14pts.

2 POINTS DIFFERENCE

TTA:

A 255 Hoosier A6 is 3 points. (10 points credit)

A 275 Hoosier A6 is 9 points

6 POINTS DIFFERENCE

Not poking at you personally, but I hope thta wasn't the real reason behind the new rule.

Like I said, just an unofficial rumor. I'm JAFO here.

Mark

That was quick, Ben---snuck it in right before I did (re: BFG). Actually, they are definitely +13 point tires....check the Rules.

Right, but even with their size, has anyone has done anything fast enough on them (compared to a C91 or A6) to make people think they are actually worth +13?

I don't think the size differences at issue matter anywhere near as much as compound. I know of no one who used R1s before and this will ensure that no one uses them going forward.

I know of a couple people that have used them, one of them won a National championship and the other podiumed fwiw. I had looked at them at +10, but they're not quite Hoosier R or Goodyear R fast, esp on a lighter car. Yes they may be actually wider than their printed size says, but the compound is really more like a +8 or +9 from what I can tell. So +8 for compound, +2 for size issues comes out about right

BFG isn't the only one that used to be in the +10 range that measures out wider than the sidewall says either.

No... I'd figure out a set of tiny brakes to run 15" wheels.... the drag racers do it all the time

No... I'd figure out a set of tiny brakes to run 15" wheels.... the drag racers do it all the time

Nascar brakes fit a 15 inch wheel perfectly.

Nascar brakes fit a 15 inch wheel perfectly.

11" x 1.25" rotors with 6-piston calipers and a couple of 3" ducts per side stop 3400 lb cars all the time. You just need to massively offset the rotor so that it is in line with the inside bead of the wheel and not actually inside the barrel of the wheel, in order to avoid running a 1" or 2" stack of spacers.

Mark

Why don't we just measure the tire tread, provide it somewhere on the site, and use that to classify tires? I assume someone already said this, and the "99% in me" is lazy and doesn't care to read through 20-pages of tears.

Measure the tread or sidwall to sidewall? Mesure the bulge or the top? Who determines where the tread starts/stops? What about tires stretched onto wide wheels or those stuffed onto narrower ones?

• National Staff
Measure the tread or sidwall to sidewall? Mesure the bulge or the top? Who determines where the tread starts/stops? What about tires stretched onto wide wheels or those stuffed onto narrower ones?

You got it. Don't forget to add in, "How much air pressure should be in the tire when measured", and does it matter how much the car weighs, or should the tire be measured off the vehicle." Then, add in, "where exactly does the tread start and stop on a tire like the A6/R6 where there is no actual tread visible." Lastly, who is going to purchase every tire available and measure them, or would we have an incomplete database that slowly gets built over time, and somehow gets managed to make sure that a tire mold has not been changed by the manufacturer over time.....