Decision on 255s... single out one tire? Why?

Cobra4B

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Varkwso

• Cobra4B

• drivinhardz06

• TurboShortBus

• National Staff
Or, we could go by what's written on the sidewall.

except when a tire has been shown to be abnormally off

WINNER, WINNER, WINNER!!!!!

Measure the tread or sidwall to sidewall? Mesure the bulge or the top? Who determines where the tread starts/stops? What about tires stretched onto wide wheels or those stuffed onto narrower ones?

You got it. Don't forget to add in, "How much air pressure should be in the tire when measured", and does it matter how much the car weighs, or should the tire be measured off the vehicle." Then, add in, "where exactly does the tread start and stop on a tire like the A6/R6 where there is no actual tread visible." Lastly, who is going to purchase every tire available and measure them, or would we have an incomplete database that slowly gets built over time, and somehow gets managed to make sure that a tire mold has not been changed by the manufacturer over time.....

As much as it pains me, comparing the variables of multiple tires/rims/weight/pressure goes beyond the realm of reason in a diverse crowd (we have VW and CRXs competing directly against Porsches and Corvettes) so the only viable option is to look at the sidewall marking of the manufacturer, and its supporting data from the supplier, and then make a call if the tire meets the intent of the NASA ruleset. If the tire, or other component, does not meet the intent of the NASA TT ruling (which is based solely on sidewall tire size) then it would be classed differently based on its "footprint". This is what has been done with BFG and this particular tire from Hoosier. Maybe even others. There will probably be others in the future as classes optimize setups. Like it, or not, those are the rules we live by in this series.

Or, we could go by what's written on the sidewall.

except when a tire has been shown to be abnormally off

WINNER, WINNER, WINNER!!!!!

can I get 5whp tacked on to my allowable power limits on the reclass you just gave me then?

can I get 5whp tacked on to my allowable power limits on the reclass you just gave me then?

That would effectively double your allowable power limit.

Mark

Mark

It will not allow him be a winner, winner, winner though

whiner, whiner, whiner is probably a shoo in

Mark

that's the best post in this thread

Has anyone actually looked at a 255 and 275 next to each other on identical wheels? I have, the 255 is clearly smaller, they are NOT the same tire, so IMO they should not be assesed the same point value.

Interesting anecdote, but I think the point that carried the day was that not all cars are able to use 18" racing wheels.

I can accept based on width - that is what TT rules are based on. Other tires will need the walk of shame.

Ok, if width was important, and surely mounted width would be the relevant width when deciding to do classify two tires as the same width:

Is there any chance that anyone looked at and measured a mounted 255 vs a mounted 275, both mounted on the same width wheel, during the rulemaking process?

If so, what were measurements?

My TTA Honda can't fit 10.5" wheels, so that is a useless data point.

More over, that wheel is outside of Hoosier's recommended mounting width, so you should be dq'd as a danger to other racers, your family and the State of Georgia.

Legal 255s mean additional mod points and I'd rather not spend money using those up.

But the sidewall is shorter.

What sidewall?

My TTA Honda can't fit 10.5" wheels, so that is a useless data point.

More over, that wheel is outside of Hoosier's recommended mounting width, so you should be dq'd as a danger to other racers, your family and the State of Georgia.

Legal 255s mean additional mod points and I'd rather not spend money using those up.

Now that's funny!

I have both... the 255 is a tiny bit wider on a 10.5" Z06 rear wheel, but the sidewall is 3/10ths of an inch shorter. This is my beef... it's not the same tire so why is it scored the same? All else equal the 255 is a slower tire.

On a 9.5 inch wheel, the 255 is not as wide.

I have a set of 9.5" wheels now... going to run 245s... my goal is to get those banned too

All else equal the 255 is a slower tire.

at least on our cars (or mine). kudos to rory and joel for whipping our butts with it.

I totally get both arguments, my whole thing is the sizing on the sidewall thing WAS objective, now it's objective with an overriding subjective slant. The 275/35/18 ho ho is within 10 or 12mm of the 295/30/18, but which one is sized more correctly? Does the 275 get a penalty or does the 295 get a credit back? The 315 is WAY wider than the 295's 20mm would indicate. So we go by the sidewall, unless it's abnormal. Where does "abnormal" start/stop? +/- 3%? +/- 7.5%? +/- 10%?

I just think it'll be more WORK for greg/NASA to have to look at all of them subjective now. I completely get the reasoning is to keep it as fair for everyone as possible, it just seems like a big o can of worms has been opened for the future.

Does anyone else even make a 255 DOT tire?

I see that Pirelli does. It has a totally abnormal 10.0" tread width.

Can we just ban 255s?