Helmet Question

n80

I've done one HPDE event and really liked it. Plan on doing many more. For the first event I borrowed a helmet from a friend. It was an older SA2000 G-Force and from my uneducated perspective it was fine.

But, I think I'm going to get my own helmet for Christmas. Problem is, I have no idea what I need to look for and how much I should spend. I see Zamp brand helmets that are SA2010 and only cost $150. Then there are the entry level G-Force, Bell and Simpson helmets between $250 and $300. And of course there are the pricey higher end helmets which I'm pretty sure I don't need and can't afford anyway.

So my question is this, for HPDE should I just get the cheapest SA2010 rated helmet I can find or are there things to look for that make a higher priced helmet worthwhile?

Any advice appreciated.

Smart-ass answer: If you have a head worth $150, get a $150 helmet. If your head is worth $1,000 get a $1,000 helmet.

The non smart-ass answer is to buy a helmet that fits you properly and meets the safety standards that you need. The latest standard is Snell 2010. I do not believe that Snell 2000 helmets are approved for use with NASA anymore.

SA- helmets meet the standards for wheel to wheel motorsports use, while M- helmets are designed for motorcycle applications. Both are acceptable for HPDE. If you see SA-2005 on the Snell label inside the helmet, that means it meets the standards for motorsports use and meets impact standards used in 2005. These standards are constantly evolving, so the newer helmets are generally better in this regard and will be useable for a longer period of time.

More expensive helmets tend to be made from nicer material and are lighter. Another more fundamental decision is whether you want a full-face or open helmet design. The full face helmets offer better protection from frontal impacts, and are much safer in the event of a fire (when the visor is used), but the open helmets aren't as hot to wear, give better peripheral vision, and are generally less expensive.

That's the basic summary. There are plenty of other details to consider, and I'm sure that you'll hear from more people about them.

Get a Snell SA2005 or SA2010 helmet. If you know that you will be doing this for a while get the SA2010 since SA2005 expires in 2015 and you will have to replace it then. The M helmets are not accepted for HPDE by most tracks.

I prefer SA

if you're going to do alot of events you may wear out a 2010 before it expires, so a 2005 may be a "smarter" buy.

Beyond that I'd compare fit & finish and pick what I felt was the smartest value

The M helmets are not accepted for HPDE by most tracks.

Since I have a very different experience (M- helmets accepted by all groups I run with and at all tracks), it would be wise to check with the event organizers in your area and find out what rules they have. SA- helmets use fire retardant material (M- helmets do not), and meet a slightly different impact standard more aligned with their function in automobile motorsports.

Thanks for the info guys.

Beyond that I'd compare fit & finish and pick what I felt was the smartest value

I live near Charlotte, NC (NASCAR country) but I'm not sure there are any shops that have helmets that I can look at and compare. I'll try to do a little more Google searching and see if there is a race shop that carries the top brands. Otherwise it will be an internet purchase and I'll have to buy one sight unseen. I could look at other folks helmets but I'll probably need this new one before I get to another event.

I've heard disparaging remarks about G-Force products but the old one I borrowed seemed fine to me.

Has anyone had problems with or things they didn't like about a certain helmet? I'm leaning towards the low end Bell entry level helmet but I don't have any specific reason to do so:

http://www.saferacer.com/bell-sport-sa2010-auto-racing-helmet.html?productid=2210

Fit is the single most important factor, so try on the helmet if you can. Even if you cannot try a specific model, there is general consistency within a helmet type by the same manufacturer. Also, often the same helmet is sold in M- and SA- variations. You could try the equivalent model at a motorcycle shop and be more confident that the SA- model you order will fit you properly.

I just bought a new helmet and it was surprising to experience the large differences in fit. I wanted to save some money and get lower tier brand, but it did not fit nearly as well as the Bell I wound up with, even though they were the same size.

I'll try to do a little more Google searching and see if there is a race shop that carries the top brands. Otherwise it will be an internet purchase and I'll have to buy one sight unseen.

Joshua is right - the fit is extremely important. If the helmet doesn't fit correctly, and is too loose, then it won't be safe or as safe. Take the time and find a shop and try on the helmets. Some of the raceways may have shops that carry helmets also. - Jim

Joshua is right - the fit is extremely important. - Jim

I've done some more searching. Can't find anything via Google yet. But, just like any clothing and such you buy online I can send stuff back if it doesn't fit right.

The G-Force that I borrowed fit very nicely. I never felt uncomfortable or encumbered.

The Bell Sport has interchangeable cheek pads which might help make a perfect fit.

Our preffered south east vendor is Discovery Parts. Give Ron a call and mention "Sparkle Pony" for a special discount. Too bad he wasn't able to make it the the CMP event you were at

I spent $300 ish on my new SA2005 a couple years ago and it replaced my $200 SA2000

George - if you do buy a helmet online, then when you receive it, the following info may be helpful in that it talks about certain things to check about the fit of the helmet, and certain things to carefully check. I think that all of the online stores carrying helmets will have sizing charts, but the link below goes additional things to check. Good luck!! - Jim

http://www.ioportracing.com/instructions/bellhelmetsizing.htm

Thanks Jim, that is an excellent link. Jimbow, thanks for the reference to Discovery Parts. The prices are pretty much the same as other places but they have a free helmet bag and free shipping if you purchase online. (Which would mean that I wouldn't get the "Sparkle Pony" discount.....but that's okay.) And I definitely prefer to support a vendor in the area, especially if they are NASA-SE friendly.

I saw a 370Z at CMP with a big Discovery Parts sticker on it.

The next decision is white or black. I'll let my wife decide.

Thanks Jim, that is an excellent link. Jimbow, thanks for the reference to Discovery Parts. The prices are pretty much the same as other places but they have a free helmet bag and free shipping if you purchase online. (Which would mean that I wouldn't get the "Sparkle Pony" discount.....but that's okay.) And I definitely prefer to support a vendor in the area, especially if they are NASA-SE friendly.

I saw a 370Z at CMP with a big Discovery Parts sticker on it.

The next decision is white or black. I'll let my wife decide.

I went with white for one reason - when it sits in the sun on your front seat while waiting for your next session BLACK is gonna he HOTTT.

I'd still give Ron a call, he is a great person to work with and you will probably wind up with the helmet, bag, free shipping and the discount. I'm going to try and get to his shop sometime this week so I can order some seats.

• 2 weeks later...

something else to consider...can all the interior pads be either replaced or taken out and washed...a couple summer time events and the inside of your helmet might be a little less than fresh. I love my HJC AR10, it is nice and light, fits me very good, and all the interior pads can be taken out and washed. I can't see myself owning a different helmet, I will buy another one in the newer SA rating when this one expires. I got white...so that I could decorate it myself!

I have one of the Zamp helmets. For the price, it's a good helmet and has definitely served its purpose. It is a bit on the heavy side, though, and if I were to buy another one (which is definitely on my mind, given my .......experience..... at RA) I think I'd probably go with a better helmet like a Bell or HJC. As to the color - well, I love the way those black helmets look, but I won't ever buy one. I've lived in the South way too long to put myself through that. White is hot enough as it is. Oh, and I won't touch an open-face helmet. I know plenty of people that love the additional vision they offer, but to me if I'm in an accident bad enough to need my helmet's protection, I want it protecting ALL of my head, not just part of it.

The HJC has one of the wider eye ports on the market, at least when I was doing my research. I have no trouble with peripheral vision in it, I am limited more by my eyeglasses than my helmet.

The HJC has one of the wider eye ports on the market, at least when I was doing my research. I have no trouble with peripheral vision in it, I am limited more by my eyeglasses than my helmet.

HJC was already at the top of my list, but that right there pretty much seals it. Gotta have room for my glasses in the helmet. Sadly, it doesn't look like Ron carries HJC.

yep, my eyeglasses fit with room to spare, and they are not the skull hugger type.

Yeah, I wish Ron carried HJC, but for me it came down to what I needed and wanted, where I bought it was not going to be the determining factor.

yep, my eyeglasses fit with room to spare, and they are not the skull hugger type.

Yeah, I wish Ron carried HJC, but for me it came down to what I needed and wanted, where I bought it was not going to be the determining factor.

And I wholeheartedly agree with this. I just figured it would make things easier if I could shop for (and possibly buy) the helmet trackside in February.

I think my wife has already ordered a white Bell entry level SA2010 form Discovery Parts. I do not think it has removable lining. The HJC entry level helmet is only $20 more and it does have the removable lining. That really sounds like a good idea but I will probably just keep the Bell.

Bell makes an excellent helmet. Is the removeable lining worth an extra $20 if I'm buying it for myself? Definitely. If I had a wife (or anyone else willing to purchase a helmet for me) and she bought me the Bell instead, would I complain? Nope. Not even the slightest. I may, however, been inclined to point out just how little my life/health is worth to her based on what she spent on the helmet.

I may, however, been inclined to point out just how little my life/health is worth to her based on what she spent on the helmet.

I'd be afraid she'd tell me she'd spent about twice what she should have.

And I distinctly remember her asking me if my life insurance covered on-track fatality. Really.

And I distinctly remember her asking me if my life insurance covered on-track fatality. Really.

I'd go through that tech sheet really carefully next time out. Probably multiple times.

I think my wife has already ordered a white Bell entry level SA2010 form Discovery Parts. I do not think it has removable lining. The HJC entry level helmet is only $20 more and it does have the removable lining. That really sounds like a good idea but I will probably just keep the Bell.

This will be fine! I used my first helmet 9.5 years and NEVER cleaned the lining.

On the other hand it only got 2 or 3 weekends of track use per year and lots of autocross runs the first 5 years. Autocross - helmet on, strap in, make run, helmet off. Plenty of time for it to dry out before the next run.