ultimate HPDE car - new Toyoburu BRZ-86?

Full of Days

My camaro isnt suited for HPDE. It's 3900 lbs and it eats brakes and tyres at an unreal pace. So how many track rats are considering the new front engine/RWD lightweight Subaru/Toyota BRZ/86? It looks to be the next miata or greater. I'm not interested in getting an older miata and think this car would make a killer HPDE car. Anyone else planning on building one?

subaru-brz-review.jpg&maxW=630

Personally, I think this would be an absolute blast on track. Unfortunately, I can also confirm (from very recent experience) that Subarus hold up extremely well in impacts. As much as I dig the car, and would absolutely drive one, I don't think I would track it for the simple reason that replacing a new car just isn't in my budget. I can walk away from a $3k car, but not something I'm still paying for. All that said, I'm really looking forward to seeing these on the road. Great looking car!

I could see having one once they've depreciated enough into the "disposable track car" range

I couldn't agree more. I'f I'm spending 20K - 30K(or more) I'm getting a built car.

Alas I'm a poor mofo so I struggle to make my Corvette more trackable.

Seats are going in this year along with yet another engine

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone give a list of a few shops that will build a turn key car? I'm looking for options on an ultimate HPDE car and am not loyal to a particular make or model.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what you want to spend and what you want to drive.

Corvette, there are at least a half dozen shops that will build one. Some places you can get one already built and raced.

Nissan, I know of at least two shops.

Porsche probably has a dozen shops

Mazda, the same or more.

So what is your budget?

Depends on what you want to spend and what you want to drive.

Corvette, there are at least a half dozen shops that will build one. Some places you can get one already built and raced.

Nissan, I know of at least two shops.

Porsche probably has a dozen shops

Mazda, the same or more.

So what is your budget?

Budget depends on if I sell my DD right now and find a beater. If I go that route, I could budget 35-45K for a car. If I keep my DD I'm looking at 20K max for a car. That's padding in consumables and track time, etc. Heck, I could just track my DD until HPDE 3-4 but am wary if things go pear shaped and I leave the track with the car 3 feet shorter than stock...

Looking for fully built racecars returns a lot of junk quite honestly. Found a donor C6Z for a song with no title that is legit but I'd spend 15K plus getting it sorted over the course of the year. I could just throw a seat in it and go bone stock for a while and build it over time...

Is there a list of all the vette shops somewhere?

IMHO For the money, it's hard to beat a well prepared C5 or C6 vette. The cost of used ones has bottomed out as of late and the LS motors are fantastic.

There's an 02 Focus SVT I found on CL that has been fully built with a miller cage, suspension motor, etc but it's been setup to run oval and I'm not too excited about FWD. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Not sure if an older SVT focus is a waste of money or not...

if you think you're too cool or have too much of a go-fast bug to suck it up and get into an SM / SpecE30 / 944-Spec I just plain don't get why you're looking at stuff like a Focus that's hardly any faster when well driven.

Like what was said in the other thread where you asked about this - don't spend a penny until you've rented one of those Spec cars and experienced them for yourself. And are you wanting to become a better driver, or do you just want to go fast for cheap? And if its the fast part - how willing to work on stuff are you? We never did figure out if you just wanted to be an arrive-n-drive guy, or if you were ok with wrenching. We did figure out your range of stuff you were considering went from a Radical all the way down to now a Focus SVT car (that'll probably barely be faster than an SM )

Ultimate HPDE car is a GT3RS imo...just saying

that is something to look at - just leave it stock, let the Porsche dealer service it, etc. Won't get you out there racing, but it'll be fast and you'd never have to turn a wrench if you didn't want to. Can leave the computers on too to save your kiester if you wanted as well... and if you've got the coin to get into it more power to you.

I think part of the factor to really be an "ultimate" HPDE car has to be cost to buy & operate though. Porsche is only going to beat stuff like Ferrari in that category

Low operating cost and Porsche? HA!

I'm considering an LS car because that's what I know and I can get parts for a lot less than BMW or Porsche. Plus I'm going to be doing the wrenching on my own vehicle. That's actually part of the fun!

It's ugly and slow and $25k isn't that cheap. I'd buy a used C5 Z06 for under $15k... oh wait... I did. You can get regular C5 coupes well under $10k now. There's nothing out there that can touch them.

For speed, used C5Z/C6 is hard to beat no doubt. But speed does still cost money in operating costs. A 944/E30/SM is going to cost a small fraction in tires/brakes/fuel to run.

My opinion is to find the cheapest overall package - buy in, operating costs, etc. Don't skimp on safety/reliability stuff. Then spend the rest on as many track days as you can. Don't make the mistake of making yourself "car poor"

If your budget allows you to make lots of events, and afford maintaining a faster car, go for it, but be realistic! Lots of people spend years on the sideline building, or saving to fix their broken dream car, while others are having fun out at the track.

That all said, the "BRZ-86" looks like a fantastic basis for a Spec car/class of the future.

C5s aren't that expensive if you run 275/24/17s on 17x9.5 C5Z06 front wheels... the tires will last a long time and are cheap vs. the 335/19s people assume you need to run on a C5/C6. They do use brakes faster than a slow car, but rotors are $40 each from NAPA.

That's helpful, but for perspective, still easily 2x the cost of the 944/SM/SE30 for tires/brake pads, etc. It may be worth it to many, but it's not in the same ballpark.

• 2 weeks later...

I went the C5 route for DD and HPDE use. It's a Z51 coupe (non-Z06 obviously), with the only mod being R888's, and it has been great. Very fast, composed car.

You'll save $5k getting the non-Z06 model, so it's worth looking into the early FRC models (can even spend the $5k on a tow vehicle??).

You will go through brake rotors at an alarming rate, so get prepared for that.

THanks for the feedbaCk on the FRC C5's. Local guy was telling me he eats thru rotors with his car and that they are about 37 dollars from rockauto.com.

Anyone know of a C5 FRC vette that has been fully built into a race car for sale?