• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RWinchester199

• D Algozine

• stevepoe

• robbodleimages

RA1's are the tire for American Iron for the next 4 racing seasons.

So, are we done now?

Is this personal speculation or confirmed information from a series Director?

TJ, no one should care. I'm just pointing out that this new tire isn't bringin in herds of new AI cars, or any that I'm aware of....

I'm going to detune to race AI on the cheaper more durable Toyo, instead of AIX. My car is more of an AI car anyways, not much extreme about it. I refuse to pay $300+ for a tire I dont care where its made. My money is made by me!

NASA Central region has a great schedule and we are looking at 5-6 AI cars in the region.

TJ, no one should care. I'm just pointing out that this new tire isn't bringin in herds of new AI cars, or any that I'm aware of....

I'm going to detune to race AI on the cheaper more durable Toyo, instead of AIX. My car is more of an AI car anyways, not much extreme about it. I refuse to pay $300+ for a tire I dont care where its made. My money is made by me!

NASA Central region has a great schedule and we are looking at 5-6 AI cars in the region.

Awesome! Welcome to AI. The series is great and you have a good director in the central region. Hope you have a blast. You must not have a 18" wheels since you aren't paying $300/tire. Toyo shaved are right there in cost... Either way enjoy. I hope more people detune for AI it makes the racing more fun when more cars are involved.

As far as the money comment, have we met? Or are you just going off what others have said? Either way will you be at nationals in AI? Or any Midwest or great lakes events?

Awesome! Welcome to AI. The series is great and you have a good director in the central region. Hope you have a blast. You must not have a 18" wheels since you aren't paying $300/tire. Toyo shaved are right there in cost... Either way enjoy. I hope more people detune for AI it makes the racing more fun when more cars are involved.

As far as the money comment, have we met? Or are you just going off what others have said? Either way will you be at nationals in AI? Or any Midwest or great lakes events?

275/40r17s on all four.

No offense on the money comment. I needed new tires this year racing in SCCA ITE, tires are wide open in that class. I looked at the Hoosier and couldnt justify the cost. It wasnt aimed at you, just stating my opinion based on my budget

If the spec tire for AI had been the Hoosier, I wouldve stayed in AIX and ran on the harder to get but cheaper Hankooks. Seeing that it is the longer lasting Toyo I decided to race on the cheaper tire. Simple as that.

I hope to make the NASA Nationals, maybe this coming year or next!

RA1's are the tire for American Iron for the next 4 racing seasons.

So, are we done now?

Is this personal speculation or confirmed information from a series Director?

Ah.....you started this thread, with the press release. It's not speculation - it's a done deal.

Ryan had a great time at the Nationals.....having his car towed around the paddock.

I guess I didn't realize a Mazda miata was an American iron car.... Pot calling kettle an idiot. It's a different car in a different class. Just to point out there was not a single American iron car at the 25, there was 1 cmc car I think.

Also TJ, if you had to buy all 22 or however many toyo tires you have would you be racing this year? I'm guessing there aren't many out there in your position that have a truck full of toyos.

Just calling you out on wanting everything American. A lot of people like to use it when it works for them, then drive a Hyundai.

Nope, I'd buy 6 tires shaved to 5/32nds and have plenty to get through 5-6 events. I've bought 8 Toyos in 5 years and one set was R888s. The truck full of Toyos was won through Toyos contingency program. To any new racers, don't be afraid to buy used ones, they're pretty much good to the cord. That's how I stock piled mine.

Ryan had a great time at the Nationals.....having his car towed around the paddock.

If you were at Nationals in 2011, you'll get the joke. If you weren't, be there in 2012 so you aren't scratching your head this time next year.

Ryan, I'm glad we're all having fun. It's the off-season after all, time for bench racing, sh*t talking, and beer drinking.

Where I'm racing will depend on where I'm working. If I'm in IL, it'll be MW. If I'm in MI, I'll be at a few in GL. Whatever happens, I'm going to try to at least qualify for Nats.

Ah.....you started this thread, with the press release. It's not speculation - it's a done deal.

Adam, no where in that press release does it even remotely hint that Toyo is the spec tire for the American Iron series. That press release is an umbrella statement concerning the official tire of NASA, but that's it. As I read it, this release does not address the AI series regarding the future of who will be supplying the spec tire for AI. Where do you see the information regarding Toyo being the spec tire for AI through 2015?

December 3, 2011 7:47 AM —

Napa Valley, CA - December 3, 2011

The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) is pleased to announce that Toyo Tires® will continue as the Official Tire of the NASA through 2015. The Toyo® Proxes RA1™ has long been NASA’s tire of choice for many classes and Toyo Tires has offered generous cash prizes...

... along with a ‘Toyo Bucks’ contingency program that allows racers to save on their future tire purchases. NASA is proud to offer a revised program for 2012-2015 that will nearly double the regional contingency awards available in previous years bringing the total value of this program to a staggering $2,000,000.00. This level of support makes this program the most lucrative contingency offering in all of club racing by a long margin. Thirteen racing classes are eligible for the program and a top driver will be able to earn as much as $600.00 in a single weekend. Details for the new regional contingency program can be found at http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency/ToyoRegionalCont_2012.pdf

"We are delighted to renew our partnership with Toyo Tires for four more years. They have been an incredible partner for more than a decade and we have found their product to be a perfect fit for many of our most popular classes,” said Ryan Flaherty, National Chairman of NASA. “We have worked very hard to deliver the most lucrative contingency program available to grassroots racers and with more than $2,000,000.00 up for grabs, Toyo Tires has again proven that they are 100% committed to NASA racers."

“Toyo Tires is proud to support NASA and the amateur racers who put their cars through the paces every weekend,” said Stan Chen, Manager of Events and Motorsports, Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. “NASA provides a great platform which offers everything from High Performance Driving Events, to Time Trial and wheel-to-wheel competition with a wide variety of car classes. With our extensive tire line-up, we have the products to match.”

NASA is pleased to announce that Toyo Tires will also return as the Title Sponsor for the NASA Championships for 2012-2015. Toyo Tires will continue to offer large cash prizes to Toyo Spec classes along with contingency prizes for both Time Trial and non-Toyo Spec racing classes. For more information on the Toyo Tires programs, please visit http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency

About NASA

The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) was formed in 1991 with the premise of delivering high-quality motorsports events to enthusiasts at major racing venues throughout the nation. NASA has created programs that allow owners of both racecars and high-performance street-driven vehicles to enjoy the full performance capabilities of their cars in a controlled professionally managed environment. NASA offers many different programs that will allow you to enjoy motorsports on a number of different levels, including our High Performance Driving Events (HPDE), Rally Sport, Time Trial, NASA-X and Competition Racing programs.

I guess I didn't realize a Mazda miata was an American iron car.... Pot calling kettle an idiot. It's a different car in a different class. Just to point out there was not a single American iron car at the 25, there was 1 cmc car I think.

Also TJ, if you had to buy all 22 or however many toyo tires you have would you be racing this year? I'm guessing there aren't many out there in your position that have a truck full of toyos.

Just calling you out on wanting everything American. A lot of people like to use it when it works for them, then drive a Hyundai.

Nope, I'd buy 6 tires shaved to 5/32nds and have plenty to get through 5-6 events. I've bought 8 Toyos in 5 years and one set was R888s. The truck full of Toyos was won through Toyos contingency program. To any new racers, don't be afraid to buy used ones, they're pretty much good to the cord. That's how I stock piled mine.

If you were at Nationals in 2011, you'll get the joke. If you weren't, be there in 2012 so you aren't scratching your head this time next year.

Ryan, I'm glad we're all having fun. It's the off-season after all, time for bench racing, sh*t talking, and beer drinking.

Where I'm racing will depend on where I'm working. If I'm in IL, it'll be MW. If I'm in MI, I'll be at a few in GL. Whatever happens, I'm going to try to at least qualify for Nats.

Even though gettin towed was a penalty, I gotta admit we did have a lot of fun with it. Next year we are bringing horses just in case it happens again. and just for the record there is no chance I was the only car speeding in the paddock of the nine cars that were late...I'm lookin at you Todd

TJ it's always fun to bench race in the off season. I don't mind imported things just think its kinda silly to use one in a class called American Iron. I'm sure I'll see you at some of the events.

Hopefully the winter goes fast so we can all get back out on track.

It appears the heat has dissipated, so not looking to add any fuel, However......

Heres some simple math regarding the Hoosier vs Toyo contingency plans:

Hooseriers

.........Cost more per tire

.........Don't last near as long as Toyos

.........Therefore considerably more tires need to be purchased from ALL the racers

.........All of which allows them to offer a higher dollar contingency plan

If you think Hoosier is just giving away more money because they are just nicers guys, you are mistaken. We all are paying for the better contingency. I would presume that each company allocates a similiar percentage of sales to contingency. Hoosiers are more expensive and more tires need to be purchased for any given race or season, therefore, more contingency money. So, the reallity is that anyone NOT winning tires is paying for the contingency for those who are winning tires. More racers, better contingency. So, Toyos last longer and don't cost as much, so less amount avialable for contingency, plus "the new deal" has decided to share more of the wealth and allow mid pack finishers a little cash to help off set thier tire bill. Which keeps more racers on the track and interested in racing, which allows for more contingency money for eveyone. Being from Indiana (Hoosier) I think it would be cool to have Hoosiers as our tires, plus it is American Iron, but then they should make a much more cost effective product, then I'm all for it.

So, if AI could alter the culture from F the next guy and take a better attitude as a group, such as, more racers, more fun, more contingency, and on and on. Yes, each of us is out to win, but don't get hung up on the attitude of win at all costs, becasse the cost may be the class slowly shrinking away. Same goes for bending rules to allow more cars. What are the ramifications, and how does that effect the entire class? Think about some of this in regards to the rules discussions. Some are looking out for there own situation and what best puts their car at an advantage. Maybe I'm just dreaming, but the goal really needs to be about parity, if you want to continue to grow the class. Non of us are going to "make" money racing at this level, and those that are trying to make money have a very different goal then the other 99.9% of us. Other race classes do a much better job of promoting equallity and promoting thier class and represening themselves in a positive light. Rather then see more guys bail out, I'd like to see more guys looking to get in. It's the responsibilty of all of us to help improve that situation. I've said many times, think about whats best for the class and what improves racing, it will go a long way to improving the fun of racing.

It appears the heat has dissipated, so not looking to add any fuel, However......

Heres some simple math regarding the Hoosier vs Toyo contingency plans:

Hooseriers

.........Cost more per tire

.........Don't last near as long as Toyos

.........Therefore considerably more tires need to be purchased from ALL the racers

.........All of which allows them to offer a higher dollar contingency plan

If you think Hoosier is just giving away more money because they are just nicers guys, you are mistaken. We all are paying for the better contingency. I would presume that each company allocates a similiar percentage of sales to contingency. Hoosiers are more expensive and more tires need to be purchased for any given race or season, therefore, more contingency money. So, the reallity is that anyone NOT winning tires is paying for the contingency for those who are winning tires. More racers, better contingency. So, Toyos last longer and don't cost as much, so less amount avialable for contingency, plus "the new deal" has decided to share more of the wealth and allow mid pack finishers a little cash to help off set thier tire bill. Which keeps more racers on the track and interested in racing, which allows for more contingency money for eveyone. Being from Indiana (Hoosier) I think it would be cool to have Hoosiers as our tires, plus it is American Iron, but then they should make a much more cost effective product, then I'm all for it.

So, if AI could alter the culture from F the next guy and take a better attitude as a group, such as, more racers, more fun, more contingency, and on and on. Yes, each of us is out to win, but don't get hung up on the attitude of win at all costs, becasse the cost may be the class slowly shrinking away. Same goes for bending rules to allow more cars. What are the ramifications, and how does that effect the entire class? Think about some of this in regards to the rules discussions. Some are looking out for there own situation and what best puts their car at an advantage. Maybe I'm just dreaming, but the goal really needs to be about parity, if you want to continue to grow the class. Non of us are going to "make" money racing at this level, and those that are trying to make money have a very different goal then the other 99.9% of us. Other race classes do a much better job of promoting equallity and promoting thier class and represening themselves in a positive light. Rather then see more guys bail out, I'd like to see more guys looking to get in. It's the responsibilty of all of us to help improve that situation. I've said many times, think about whats best for the class and what improves racing, it will go a long way to improving the fun of racing.

I agree we need parity and more people. I would love to race ai. I just wish we could run the tires that I already have as opposed to buying new ones for $1200. Depending on how the points are lookin when I need to buy tires I may consider buying toyo to come play in ai. Is there a grace period this year so those of us can use the tires that we have leftover? I know they are faster and it would put us at an advantage I'm just curious as to the plan concerning money we have already spent. Maybe toyo will take trades

I agree we need parity and more people. I would love to race ai. I just wish we could run the tires that I already have as opposed to buying new ones for $1200. Depending on how the points are lookin when I need to buy tires I may consider buying toyo to come play in ai. Is there a grace period this year so those of us can use the tires that we have leftover? I know they are faster and it would put us at an advantage I'm just curious as to the plan concerning money we have already spent. Maybe toyo will take trades

Wasn't this the exact argument from the racers with a stack of Toyo's last year when the Hoosier was allowed and put the Toyo drivers at an automatic disadvantage?

Several guys in the Central Region, myself included have left over rubber and we've talked about running an "outlaw" type format until the leftover tires are used up. Run the first few races, and use up the old rubber sounds better to me that taking a huge hit when trying to sell off and ship tires that I have mounted ready to use.

After a certain point in the season, all cars will have to be on Toyos or theyre in AIX.

Nothing is concrete at this time but the option has been discussed by a few of us.

i think the difference is that last season, the toyo was legal and this season anything but the toyo is not legal. i myself had no expectation of a grace period if toyo returned, but there is a difference.

Several guys in the Central Region, myself included have left over rubber and we've talked about running an "outlaw" type format until the leftover tires are used up. Run the first few races, and use up the old rubber sounds better to me that taking a huge hit when trying to sell off and ship tires that I have mounted ready to use.

After a certain point in the season, all cars will have to be on Toyos or theyre in AIX.

Nothing is concrete at this time but the option has been discussed by a few of us.

I will bring my new CMC2 car on Toyos and issue the smack down to the renegade AI cars..... I am looking forward to HPT!

Next year we are bringing horses just in case it happens again.

I'm fine with pulling you behind some horses but there is no way I'm cleaning up after them.

I don't mind imported things just think its kinda silly to use one in a class called American Iron.

Better take those Italian brake calipers off your car then

Being from Indiana (Hoosier) I think it would be cool to have Hoosiers as our tires, plus it is American Iron, but then they should make a much more cost effective product, then I'm all for it.

Maybe there should be some discussion with Hoosier about making an "AI" tire, and have it be the same as the Grand Am tire they supply for Continental. I don't know the price on the Grand Am tire but they do seem to last quite awhile and I've actually seen "worn out" tires in some cases be faster than brand new ones. Plus with the quantities they make of that tire maybe it would allow some price decreases because of volume.

Being from Indiana (Hoosier) I think it would be cool to have Hoosiers as our tires, plus it is American Iron, but then they should make a much more cost effective product, then I'm all for it.

Maybe there should be some discussion with Hoosier about making an "AI" tire, and have it be the same as the Grand Am tire they supply for Continental. I don't know the price on the Grand Am tire but they do seem to last quite awhile and I've actually seen "worn out" tires in some cases be faster than brand new ones. Plus with the quantities they make of that tire maybe it would allow some price decreases because of volume.

Man this thread just keeps going and going. Might want to look at the title again. Its over, finished, kaput, decision made. And while some of is are not extreemly happy, it is what it is. If this helps the AI field,I highly doubt it as some will come in and some will go elsewhere. At the same time, the directors are trying something and that counts.

Better take those Italian brake calipers off your car then

The Italian calipers are not mandatory.... I chose to use them because they are better than the American option IMO. I have had multiple brands on my car and these are by far the best performing brakes I have used.

I do believe that continental is manufacturing the grand am tire now. I think hoosier was making them until continental had the ability to make them on their own. Could be wrong but I think that is what's going on. They are a pretty good tire but cost is still high.

The series picked a tire. I just wish it wasn't for such a long period of time.... What happens when they raise prices? Do we have an out or are we stuck with them... They do control how much they charge after all.

As I've said, pretty happy with the Toyo 2012 contingency program. However, I do find it strange that 6th-9th don't get anything, but 10th-14th do. Why not just spread the wealth after 5th to include 6th - 10th? Although it's not big money, still seems like there will be some strange payouts for guys not finishing, and other wierd circumstances.

As I've said, pretty happy with the Toyo 2012 contingency program. However, I do find it strange that 6th-9th don't get anything, but 10th-14th do. Why not just spread the wealth after 5th to include 6th - 10th? Although it's not big money, still seems like there will be some strange payouts for guys not finishing, and other wierd circumstances.

Please email NASA HQ w/ your thoughts on this.

• 1 month later...

I see the Toyo 2012 regional race and 2012 championship forms up on the website, but no regional champion forms, whats up with that? I sure hope they didnt do away with regional championships...

• 2 weeks later...