Miata front fascia points

Zefiris

Hello all. I've been researching/searching for a couple of hours now to no definitive answer. After destroying my second 5 speed this year, I'm upgrading to a 6 speed, but I need to free up 3 points to stay in TTA. Currently my car has the garage vary lip I'm taking 3 points for. My plan is to remove the lip and get my 3 points back(rule G1), and build a front splitter which I had already budgeted points for. Now when I build the front splitter, I would like to create a canard type surface on the sides to cover up the tires that stick out past the front bumper, similar to this

miatasplitter.jpg

So my question is, would those curved pieces that are connected to the front bumper and splitter count as just 2 points for canards for rule G4, or would I have to take the 3 points for a modified front fascia under rule G1?

Also, if I just build the front splitter as one horizontal piece, and separately attached big canards to the front bumper, would that just be 2 points? Basically, is there any way to attach canards to the front bumper without taking the 3 point hit of rule G1?

G. AERODYNAMICS:

1) Add, replace, or modify front fascia or air dam +3 (except as provided for in I.c.3), I.f.3), I.h.14) of the No-Points Modification list) (note: Additional points must be assessed below for any component of the added/replaced/modified fascia or air dam that performs the functions listed in G.2) and G.4) below)

2) Add, replace or modify a single front splitter/spoiler/wing/foil +3 (note: This part may extend horizontally past the side of the vehicle no greater than five inches. If any portion of this part that protrudes from the side of vehicle is not parallel to the ground, then additional points must be assessed for canards in G.4) below.)(note: No material or part may extend the vertical reach of the OEM front fascia without taking fascia modification points above.)

4) Add or modify canards/winglets (includes portions of an added/modified/replaced fascia that provide a downward force other than that listed in G.2) above) +2

Thanks

Robert

• National Staff

What you have in the photo is a +3 air dam/fascia mod (and a splitter +3 mod).

When you say "big" canards, you need to be careful or you will run into this:

A permitted item cannot be modified to perform either a prohibited function, or the function of an

item that would otherwise be assessed points under the modification rules.

Actually, rereading G1 I don't think I can put anything on the front bumper without taking the points for G1 plus whatever I did.

So next question. If I attach a canard/angled surface on the splitter itself without attaching it to the front bumper, would that allow me to not take points for G1 and just take the 2 points for canards?

Edit: Yep, the photo is definitely +3 points for the fascia due to the lip dropping down before the splitter. The point I'm questioning is really just the part that blocks the tires from being out in the open.

• National Staff

Also, now that I have a larger computer screen to look at the photo, you would likely have to take +2 Canards as well as the +3 fascia and splitter on the top photo.

What about "boxes" in front of the tires? How many points is that worth for the splitter and box?

4140148560_0aefcb5405_b.jpg

4140158954_cdd8771f29_b.jpg

Sorry that I don't have a shot from the front, it's been a few years since we built those.

• 1 month later...