Instructor Requirements

MYRX

Just an FYI. we have conversion cables so you can use in-helmet or starndard NASCAR and IMSA headsets with chatterbox units. Much toucher stuff than the hair thin wires on the CB units.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Varkwso

• trhoads

• brkntrxn

• drivinhardz06

I have two years on my CB unit now, no issues. And while my car is not really loud, it is loud, and I have instructed everything from 71 Datsuns to C6 Z06 racecars, that car was loud as crap...could barely hear with the communicator.

D_Eclipse9916
My hardest hits have been in the instructor seat. Be prepared. The joy of instructing a talented student (not ZO6cool - mr bolt on performance) is great. The challenge of struggling student has its rewards (again ZO6cool comes to mind). One day they will be on track with you...

This, going into a bare concrete wall 5 days in a student's stock car before race school and a full race weekend sucked. By saturday morning I was already wiped and drove like crap in my first two official races.

Interesting discussion. I thought I'd add the perspective of a first time student who is a slow learner.

I'm not sure I processed much of anything my instructor said during the first two sessions. When he told me what I needed to do (next time) in a turn I had just gone through I could not even remember that turn much less what he had just told me. I don't think I was dangerous at this point but I was slow and incredibly inconsistent....and it must have been frustrating for my instructor. It wasn't until the third session of the day that I even began to anticipate the next turn.

And it wasn't until late in the third session that the light flickered on dimly. And I have to say that up until that point I was pretty embarrassed and was afraid I'd wasted my time and money on the event since I was never going to get it.

But from that point on it was fun. And I think I continued to improve throughout the weekend. I was signed off to run solo on the last two sessions on Sunday. And I'm coming back for my second HPDE in February.

The point is that I did have fun and did get some better and it was because of a few important things my instructor did. First, he never acted like I was frustrating him or that he was shocked by how bad I was. Second, he figured out real quick that he was going to have to keep things very simple for me ( brake brake brake, turn in here, throttle, unwind, throttle throttle, throttle). He did this in a way that was not condescending. He just patiently repeated these things over and over with each turn. The third thing was that he gave high praise when I finally would get something right, and that's a big deal to an inept student.

Two other things he did that helped were to keep me in one gear for a while. The other was that after the light bulb went on, he had me talk myself through a few laps the way he had talked me through.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that as well as thank all you guys who instruct.

Patience is a much needed trait when instructing...it is about the only thing in my life where I have any.

The talking yourself through a lap or two is something I try to get students to do once they have gotten more comfortable...it is harder than it sounds, but I think it really helps them to define a routine, verbally, and it sinks in better mentally. I still do it when I drive, if I am having on off session, i back off, then talk my way around and work out the kinks.

Firebird Man

George, your perspective is not unique.

My first tme on the track was in a combined DE 1-2 with no double yellow start in my wifes under powered V6 Mustang automatic that I'd rarely driven. I didn't even know where the tracks turns were, or which way they went, I just waited until I got there and then over reacted.

By the end of the day I was wondering if I too had wasted my time and started thinking about not even coming back Sunday. But my instructor sensed my frustration and took me out in his car and showed me what could be done once it's learned.

Sunday I came back with a different attitude and he said at the end of the day the light was on and I'd be fine. 6 events later I had my provisional comp license.

I highly recommend going out with an instructor early on, but tell them whether of not your ready for full 9/10's run. I've seen some guys that were not ready for a full on assault since they'd never ridden in a car driven like that, and got sick.

...but tell them whether of not your ready for full 9/10's run. I've seen some guys that were not ready for a full on assault since they'd never ridden in a car driven like that, and got sick.

A buddy who used to race in the Viper Racing League got stuck with an instructor at a Mazdadrivers event at VIR (guess nobody read his the 'previous experience' section of his sign-up sheet). He played dumb and told the instructor that he was a noob and had just bought this fancy Viper race car on Hoosiers a few weeks back. The instructor was a bit unnerved but soldiered forward. Once they got on track he put the hammer down. They had to come in early when the instructor said he was going to be sick

drivinhardz06

A buddy who used to race in the Viper Racing League got stuck with an instructor at a Mazdadrivers event at VIR (guess nobody read his the 'previous experience' section of his sign-up sheet). He played dumb and told the instructor that he was a noob and had just bought this fancy Viper race car on Hoosiers a few weeks back. The instructor was a bit unnerved but soldiered forward. Once they got on track he put the hammer down. They had to come in early when the instructor said he was going to be sick

that's hilarious

"What do you know about stock car racing?"

"well, I've watched it on television of course, ESPN, the coverage is excellent, you'd be surprised what you can pick up"

My instructor took me out in Kim Reed's Corvette. It was eye opening and a good experience. I'd been told that it was easy to get sick in the passenger seat but I didn't. We did come in a little early though because none of the dash gauges were working.

"well, I've watched it on television of course, ESPN, the coverage is excellent, you'd be surprised what you can pick up"

lol... that was kind of one of the scenarios when I did the clinic. It was quite comical as my buddy & I perfected the art of over-acting.

drivinhardz06
My instructor took me out in Kim Reed's Corvette.

I'm pretty sure he just leaves the key in it for the rest of us.

everybody beating on it all the time and then it breaks when I get in it

Years ago, Rob "Roar Racing" and I signed up for a 3 day HPDE at Mid Ohio with the Ohio-BMW club. Rob and I were both instructors with PCA, NASA, Chin, Mazda, and others, and we both had competition licenses (Rob's with Grand Am), and when we got there we had Friday as an open track day. We ran all day and had a great time.

Come Saturday though, they wouldn't let us out without instructors since we weren't cleared by that region of BMW to run solo.

Rob took his instructor out and within 3 laps the instructor had vommited in his helmet. Rob said the stink of overhwelming, but he didn't laugh since he didn't want to piss anyone off. They soloed him for the rest of the day. My instructor just signed me off with no fanfare after the first few laps.

But, come Sunday morning, we had to go through the same process, again (sans upchucking). Seems BMWCCa has some weird rules. They let us run unsupervisored on Friday, but dropped the rule book on us for the weekend. Go figger!

my first ever track day was with TrackDaze at VIR... my instructor was a Honda Challenge racer ( Civic H-2) we did ok my first 2 sessions ... then I rode with him and lots of things started to make real sense .... then I cadged a ride with James Clay in a Bimmer World Speed World Challenge car he was there shaking down... OMG.... now none of the things I had learned made any sense anymore

Years ago, Rob "Roar Racing" and I signed up for a 3 day HPDE at Mid Ohio with the Ohio-BMW club. Rob and I were both instructors with PCA, NASA, Chin, Mazda, and others, and we both had competition licenses (Rob's with Grand Am), and when we got there we had Friday as an open track day. We ran all day and had a great time.

Come Saturday though, they wouldn't let us out without instructors since we weren't cleared by that region of BMW to run solo.

Rob took his instructor out and within 3 laps the instructor had vommited in his helmet. Rob said the stink of overhwelming, but he didn't laugh since he didn't want to pee-piddily-diddily anyone off. They soloed him for the rest of the day. My instructor just signed me off with no fanfare after the first few laps.

But, come Sunday morning, we had to go through the same process, again (sans upchucking). Seems BMWCCa has some weird rules. They let us run unsupervisored on Friday, but dropped the rule book on us for the weekend. Go figger!

That's classic. I haven't seen the ROAR racing hauler around in awhile. Do they still exist?

Rob took his instructor out and within 3 laps the instructor had vommited in his helmet. Rob said the stink of overhwelming, but he didn't laugh since he didn't want to pee-piddily-diddily anyone off. They soloed him for the rest of the day. My instructor just signed me off with no fanfare after the first few laps.

That's classic. I haven't seen the ROAR racing hauler around in awhile. Do they still exist?

Rob finally sold the last bit of the enterprise last year. He still comes with me to the track and mans the radio and helps in getting everything ready. He'd love to get back in it, but a detached retina limits his track ventures.

Can that not be fixed? My mother had one detach from a hard sneeze of all things and they fixed it.

Yea, it was repaired, but leaves it vulnerable, and racing is really a risky endeavor for that since impacts can be catastrophic with negative G's. His recovery from the operation wasn't optimum, but it's better now. Part of the treatment was to put a permanent steel band around his eye.

I had a bout with vitreous detachment about a year ago. I was within a day of leaving for a 3 day event at Watkins Glen when I finally went to an eye doctor to find out what was going on with my eye after Rob told me about his detached retina and it scared me a bit, so I thought I'd check out my problem before I went, just to make sure that wasn't happening to me.

When the opthamologist examined me he discovered the vitreous detachment and explained what it was. He knew I was on my way out of town and explained what I needed to do if it got worse. He asked why I was going out of town and I told him I had a race weekend. He looked at me like I was crazy and said that was probably the worse thing I could do with that condition. Although it was a temporary condition, he said to wait until it cleared up (about 2 to3 weeks) and I'd be good to go, but during the detachment not to do anything that could create big G loads. Needless to say, I cancelled the trip, and like he said, in 2 weeks, I was good to go.

Messing with the retina or the internals of the eye aren't worth the risk.

I did the same thing at VIR with MazdaDrivers in 2010...I had never been there, requested an instructor, figuring it would do me good...after lunch Saturday entering the roller coaster he was yelling at me through MY communicator to slow down and let him the hell out...I don't even have a fast car...but he wanted out...he had expected a novice...not a fellow right seater...it was funny the next day, but I felt really bad for the guy when i came back in and he was sitting on his trailer, head in hands after loosing all of his lunch...

I did the same thing at VIR with MazdaDrivers in 2010...I had never been there, requested an instructor, figuring it would do me good...after lunch Saturday entering the roller coaster he was yelling at me through MY communicator to slow down and let him the hell out...I don't even have a fast car...but he wanted out...he had expected a novice...not a fellow right seater...it was funny the next day, but I felt really bad for the guy when i came back in and he was sitting on his trailer, head in hands after loosing all of his lunch...

I'm glad that I don't suffer from motion sickness. Last weekend at Road Atlanta I had to give a checkride to a student from DE2 to DE3. His car was a 2008 NASCAR Penske Dodge (ex Kurt Busch road race car). Fastest I've ever been in the right seat....Needless to say, I was giggling like a school girl the rest of the day

John

Last weekend at Road Atlanta I had to give a checkride to a student from DE2 to DE3.

I gave my student a ride that Saturday morning in his C6 Corvette.

He didn't puke afterwards, he just disappeared. Literally - I never saw him again.