• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Varkwso

• trhoads

• brkntrxn

• drivinhardz06

I never really rode with anyone before becoming an instructor. Since then with my limited instructing I have riden with a few others of a higher caliber than the typical DE1 student and have come to this conclusion....

I wont ride with anyone above DE1 unless they have a 5pt harness. Took a ride with a buddy in another Evo in June, needless to say I think I broke his OS handle and pulled the interior door panel towards the inside of the car a bit.

I honestly haven't gotten too nervous yet in the right seat either. It's weird how you can see so much more of what is going on and when your student is about to make a whoopsie. I had one go off in 10a becuase he thought he didn't have to stay on the brakes as long as he needed to. My last words before the excursion were, calmly, "brake harder or your in the gravel". Luckily he listened at the last second and only went 2 off.

I may have to bum a ride from the mafia in March to get a first hand experience at 10/10th's in a vette. Promise I wont lose my lunch..... in the car.

Edited by Guest
Last weekend at Road Atlanta I had to give a checkride to a student from DE2 to DE3.

I gave my student a ride that Saturday morning in his C6 Corvette.

He didn't puke afterwards, he just disappeared. Literally - I never saw him again.

Really? The guy in the yellow C6?

drivinhardz06

I may have to bum a ride from the mafia in March to get a first hand experience at 10/10th's in a vette.

we won't even ride with each other

I took my student out in my car on Saturday at the last Road Atlanta event. We didn't even make a full lap before he asked me to bring it in. Unlike Scott's student he showed back up.

My instructor took me out in Kim Reed's Corvette. It was eye opening and a good experience. I'd been told that it was easy to get sick in the passenger seat but I didn't. We did come in a little early though because none of the dash gauges were working.

Josh was your instructor? I recognize the "throttle, throttle, throttle.."

Last weekend at Road Atlanta I had to give a checkride to a student from DE2 to DE3.

I gave my student a ride that Saturday morning in his C6 Corvette.

He didn't puke afterwards, he just disappeared. Literally - I never saw him again.

Were you going to fast for having a student in the car? Just curious. I try not to take my students out until they have had at least two sessions in the car driving, and even then, I back down until I can gauge them to find out how they are doing in the right seat...

that said, next event I make it to...I am gonna come find one of you C5 guys and bum a ride, I think it would be a hoot. I rode with one of our RX-8 instructors on Sunday, and we chased another one in the DE4 session...most fun I have had in the right seat...they were going as fast as our little 1.3L cars can go, and it was a great time.

Firebird Man

My first ride was with Werner in his Vette. Didn't lose my lunch, but the RH toe board now has room for a brake pedal after 10A entry.

I helped all I could.

My first event ever was at RA, and my instructor was a Vette pilot, I had never gone that fast in my life, I got all strapped in and just held the harnesses and enjoyed the ride...it was to say the least.

I have also had a bad experience in the right seat as a student... instructor pushed a little too hard with someone in the right seat...someone that was his student and we went off into a cloud of Roebling sand, grass, gravel and dirt...that scared the crap out of me, we had watched a 944 flip doing something similar just before lunch...I had trouble in the right seat for years after that. Moral....if there is a student in the right seat, back off, you never know what can happen. I have spun once with someone in the right seat, a fellow right seater, and I still give myself hell for doing that.

Josh was your instructor? I recognize the "throttle, throttle, throttle.."

Funny, I learned the same thing from Jake.

Wonder where they learned it?

I make sure I gauge my students and talk to them as I go around the track. Thankfully I have never suffered from motion sickness (though I came close to passive motion sickness after 24 Low Angle/High Angle dive bomb passes from the right seat at a British Bombing Range in the "Wash") but I have seen a lot of it. I do my best not to scare the snot out of the student - unless he/she is ready for it.

With A6s working out to be $100-120 worth of wear every session I do not take students out on good tires.

So you trained Josh?

I sure wish everybody had their actual name in the sig line. It is hard to attach usernames, real names and cars.

He is my youngest son . He said basic training/ advanced training was a piece of cake after living with me.

Jake is son #1 and is now a 2LT in the Army at Ft Sill headed to Ft Hood in January.

Francois was kind enough to give me a ride a few years back.....I didn't lose it but I was close. Having had that experience I was concerned that it was a right-seat problem for me but after instructing for a few years turns out it was a Francois problem. Damn that guy really works that Mustang hard!

So you trained Josh?

I sure wish everybody had their actual name in the sig line. It is hard to attach usernames, real names and cars.

He is my youngest son . He said basic training/ advanced training was a piece of cake after living with me.

Jake is son #1 and is now a 2LT in the Army at Ft Sill headed to Ft Hood in January.

Good to know. And thank Josh when you see him. He's a good instructor and it is probably tough for someone that young to 'instruct' us 'older' guys but he did a great job.

Josh had mentioned to me his military connections. I was in the Air Force and also went to a military school.

Francois was kind enough to give me a ride a few years back.....I didn't lose it but I was close. Having had that experience I was concerned that it was a right-seat problem for me but after instructing for a few years turns out it was a Francois problem. Damn that guy really works that Mustang hard!

He does give that old Fairlane a good workout.

Firebird Man
My first ride was with Werner in his Vette.

you're lucky to be around posting on forums

Yeah, he stuffed that particular Vette at RA shortly thereafter.

So you trained Josh?

Good to know. And thank Josh when you see him. He's a good instructor and it is probably tough for someone that young to 'instruct' us 'older' guys but he did a great job.

Josh had mentioned to me his military connections. I was in the Air Force and also went to a military school.

I am retired USAF. Josh is in process to be a 2LT in the Army - in some things I failed miserably....

But it will be cool to commission him also...

My first ride was with Werner in his Vette.

you're lucky to be around posting on forums

Yeah, he stuffed that particular Vette at RA shortly thereafter.

That was stuff number two. The first one was a harder hit.

wasn't crash number one right after someone signed off on him?

...and he wouldn't sell me his radiator....even after I gave him time to calm down.

I've heard that story