• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cobra4B

• Varkwso

• drivinhardz06

• kbrew8991

I was considering the 245/18 Hoosier. Has anyone tried that tire on stock Z06 rear wheels? 10.5" wide? Or will it need narrow ones? Many thanks.

No one has tested yet but the consensus opinion is 10.5 will be too wide. Wagon wheels, or for the affluent the magnesium factory wheels, may be a hot commodity.

Agreed. The 9.5" stock wheels are definitely maybe the way to go. Probably.

So glad I don't have to worry about that crap next year.

This comment + buying splitters=Scott in TTS/ST2?

BTW, I have a couple of 17x9.5 OEM Speedlines I'd trade for a couple of 18x10.5 if anyone is interested. Won't be able to swap until probably April though. SE and TX locals have priority.

Agreed. The 9.5" stock wheels are definitely maybe the way to go. Probably.

So glad I don't have to worry about that crap next year.

This comment + buying splitters=Scott in TTS/ST2?

BTW, I have a couple of 17x9.5 OEM Speedlines I'd trade for a couple of 18x10.5 if anyone is interested. Won't be able to swap until probably April though. SE and TX locals have priority.

I hope he swaps in that LS6 so we do not have to chase the LS1 that just won't die in TTS.

I wonder if the "go faster on narrower tires" thing is really going to work when you go with a tire that's actually narrower. Color me genuinely curious yet skeptical.

I wonder if the "go faster on narrower tires" thing is really going to work when you go with a tire that's actually narrower. Color me genuinely curious yet skeptical.

Ill let you know in Jan...

It's a half inch narrower, I think. Thus, a little less contact patch. However, the different sidewall is what worries me. That and the fact the tire likely wasn't built for a 3200 pound car.

992 x 4 = 3,968

but how loaded does the outside front get in a turn...? Is that 992lb rating set to account for that, or do you need to do the engineering on your end to make sure you don't exceed that?

Hoosier's R6 in 225-50/16 on an 8" wheel is wider than their 245-40/17 on an 8.5" wheel. Lots of points back!

You want to be careful about running a wide tire on a narrow wheel. There is no real advantage, some of the tread is never used. If the tire is pulled in because of the narrower wheel, two things happen. The tread patch gets narrower, good for the rain not so good for the dry. Also the sidewall gets softer and the steering response slows. Ideally you want the sidewall of the tire to be flat/even with the wheel, or the tire to a bit narrower than the wheel (think German Car Touring tires and wheels), then you will get quicker steering response and use more, if not all, of the tread contact patch.

If you are talking about a 245/35R18, it's shorter too. That will effect ride height and gearing. It's equivalent to a 245/40R17....

The Hoosier A6 is a 245/40/18. It's actually 1" taller than the 255/35/18 most of us have been running.

Hoosier's R6 in 225-50/16 on an 8" wheel is wider than their 245-40/17 on an 8.5" wheel. Lots of points back!

You want to be careful about running a wide tire on a narrow wheel. There is no real advantage, some of the tread is never used. If the tire is pulled in because of the narrower wheel, two things happen. The tread patch gets narrower, good for the rain not so good for the dry. Also the sidewall gets softer and the steering response slows. Ideally you want the sidewall of the tire to be flat/even with the wheel, or the tire to a bit narrower than the wheel (think German Car Touring tires and wheels), then you will get quicker steering response and use more, if not all, of the tread contact patch.

Phil,

Which one of the combinations he posted above do you consider a wide tire on a narrow wheel?

-Kevin

The Hoosier A6 is a 245/40/18. It's actually 1" taller than the 255/35/18 most of us have been running.

The 245/40/18 is going to be the hot ticket I would think, not the 245/35/18 (both are A6 sizes). The 245/40 is the same height as stock tires, and very similar to the 275/35s that seem to be easier to drive. It is .2" wider in contact patch than the 245/35 and has a higher load rating than both the 255/35 and 245/35 at 1235lbs.

Phil,

Which one of the combinations he posted above do you consider a wide tire on a narrow wheel?

-Kevin

Neither really. I guess the 225/50R16 would be a better fit on the 8" wheel, going by specs. But a visual check with a tape measure is always better.