TTA tire for 2012?

yakisoba

I ran a 205 r6 on a 2850lbs s2000 it worked ok

Wow, I thought I was risking it for this next season considering going to a 225 so I can get sway bars

I do run a bit heavier than the corvettes do though since im at 3176.

225's work just fine on E36M3 @ 3175 on 9" wheel

Peter

When I see 225s on a C5/6 Vette it better have neon lights in wheelwells and chassis...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cobra4B

• Varkwso

• drivinhardz06

• yakisoba

When I see 225s on a C5/6 Vette it better have neon lights in wheelwells and chassis...

Don't worry... after we break the records this year on 245s they'll be classed the same as the 275 and 255 at the end of the year so we'll move on to the 225s

I think 245s are going to be slower. Let's not forget that 255 worked so well because it was the same width as a 275.

It will be a good test of nasa's point and mod factor system

Everyone keeps ignoring the fact that the 255 is super low profile. The 275 is a faster tire. The 255 can be made faster via modding the car. I had no issues putting the power down w/ 255s... ever.

I do not understand this. The choice I made was to go from 275R6 to 255A6. I made no other changes to the car. I was able to hit my fast lap one lap earlier, and that lap was around 2 seconds faster than last year. The variables were thus limited to: 1) Me (I'm still learning and thus going faster each year) and 2) The tires. I'm pretty sure the tires were quite a bit faster than the R6, at least until they were overheated.

I agree with Jason. The two second difference you saw there was A vs R. Not 255 vs 275. A's are sometimes worth 3 seconds over an R, depending on the track.

Faster......compound matters much more than size.

I am glad size is not what we are.judged by.

Must be a corvette thing...

We do more with less.

I have porked around a 240 hp 3900 lb Taurus at Road Atlanta on 225's to a 1:47. As bad as you think 360 RWHP is with 245's, you should try 63% front nose weight on a FWD car on even skinnier tires...

BTW if I had not exhausted my enthusiasm for the V6 Taurus SHO many years ago, I could almost assure you I could build one to clean up records in TTE/TTD

I have porked around a 240 hp 3900 lb Taurus at Road Atlanta on 225's to a 1:47. As bad as you think 360 RWHP is with 245's, you should try 63% front nose weight on a FWD car on even skinnier tires...

BTW if I had not exhausted my enthusiasm for the V6 Taurus SHO many years ago, I could almost assure you I could build one to clean up records in TTE/TTD

Agreed. TT co-Director here used to run an SHO. He forever holds the PIR TTE track record (thanks to the oval reconfig) with a 1:12.1. That same weekend I did a 1:12.4.

I was quicker than him on the smaller and tighter FIR tracks mostly because he had sooo much weight to sling around...about 1100lbs more than me lol.

we put 2.18 seconds on one at nationals '09, and you'd need 4 seconds at Road Atlanta

we put 2.18 seconds on one at nationals '09, and you'd need 4 seconds at Road Atlanta

don't tempt me...

that 1:47 was on crappo V700's, and with a 250 lb passenger in a full weight street car.

RA12.jpg

let me get creative with one on A6's and break out the sawzall

the funny thing is, I am literally shipping (on a pallet) the very last of my SHO parts out west to a guy, next week. lots of trans parts and obsolete NOS engine stuff. they were a 10+ yr hobby of mine and I put a lot of cars to shame in TT in the early 2000's in my '89, full gutted cage'd FWD torque steer animal

chasing1024768.jpg

on paper they were horrible cars, the sum of the parts was greater than the whole. I put a 3.2L out of an automatic SHO in my 89 5speed when it was a street car, with just bolt ons and a quaife and drag radials it ran high 13's on the motor, and high 12's on the bottle. 30 mpg on the hwy. I spun that motor 8500 rpm at road atlanta in it's later years with high lift cams, they were very durable motors. with 65% of the weight on the nose, and 250 FWHP, they would eat front tires like nobody's business

wait so the 255 18" is banned and there is no A6 255 17.. can y'all fit a 16" 255 on there?!

The 255/35/18 A6 only is being classed the same as the 275 A6s i.e. no more 6 point break from running 255s over the 275s. In response I'm going down vs. taking stuff off my car.

wait so the 255 18" is banned

Note that the Hoosier 255/35-18 R6/A6 is not banned; it is just considered as a 275mm wide tire when adding up width points.

Mark

Note that the Hoosier 255/35-18 R6/A6 is not banned; it is just considered as a 275mm wide tire when adding up width points.

At least on our cars it's not as fast (or forgiving) as the 275 apples to apples (I've tested it) so effectively it's a worthless tire now. If you're specific set-up/car warrants having a really short tire, then it might be effective.

At least on our cars it's not as fast (or forgiving) as the 275 apples to apples (I've tested it) so effectively it's a worthless tire now. If you're specific set-up/car warrants having a really short tire, then it might be effective.

I concur.... de-mod and run 275s or get a bit crazy and try 245s.

I concur.... de-mod and run 275s or get a bit crazy and try 245s.

I know a pretty good list of crazies...