C5, C6- ZO6 Corvette

ecronbach

Ok so I may be slow but why is no one racing corvettes in ST2/E0. Unless I am missing somthing a ST2/EO ZO6 with an areo package should clean house on the endurance circut.

Help me out here??

There are plenty. It was a weak showing at nationals this year, but I suspect '12 will be a different story.

Heck we had just as many Corvettes in PTA this year as ST1, ST2 and SU combined.

If you are asking more about a ST2 Vette running enduro's the reason is simple - fuel milage. A Miata will run a 3 hour enduro and only need to do 2 fuel stops and I think that they would only have to put 15 gallons in over the course of the race - (track dependant).

The Z06 would have to stop every 45 minutes and fill the tanks - around 18/19 gallons each stop - so while you could fly out on the track the time in the pits would kill you. I guess you could short shift and find ways to conserve fuel but fuel milage is the big one. You could always run ES and make up a faster fuel rig - that would speed things up in the pits.

We ran an enduro at Putnam Park to shake a new car out a few years ago - we ran for 45 min lapped the field but we were almost out of gas by the end of the run. Sure we probably had 2 laps or more on most of the Miatas but they would've got them back while we filled up.

Did I mention that the sound a Miata makes gives me a headache. I suspected the the fuel milage was a huge issue with the 10gal rules. There are some fueling tricks I have seen that are legal in E0 but you can't get around having to come into the pits.

With that said, when I look at the rules in Enduro it seems like short of running ES the rules for a ST2 corvette running in E0 are pretty favorable.

We have several ST2 Corvettes that run with So Cal NASA. Most also run in T1 with SCCA and they're somewhat limited by that configuration. They sound wonderful....

V8 cars in general are expensive to run enduros. there's the fuel rules. then theres the brakes that you go thru and other wear and tear. its a pricy idea. same with mustangs

• 3 weeks later...

De-Tuning a C6 Z06 enough to run in ST2 would be problematic. There are tons of C5 Z06's running in ST-2, but I don't know of any C6 Z06's in ST-2.

To run a Vette in an Enduro, you'd have to have the budget of Hendrick Motorsports to pull that off. Tires, brake pads and fuel would wipe out the economy of many small countries.

Or directly improve the economy of many counties. Think of the influx of cash to the local gas stations, brake pad manufacturers (if you pick the little guys) and the tire shops mounting your rubber. C'mon Jody, you could help the local economy!!!!

De-Tuning a C6 Z06 enough to run in ST2 would be problematic. There are tons of C5 Z06's running in ST-2, but I don't know of any C6 Z06's in ST-2.

To run a Vette in an Enduro, you'd have to have the budget of Hendrick Motorsports to pull that off. Tires, brake pads and fuel would wipe out the economy of many small countries.

I think Pete McIntosh runs a C6Z in ST2. One of the other guys that came down with him to the June Road Atlanta event was running a LS7 in a C5 car that was built by DRM. Deffinetly have to get the tuning right to make ST2 with an LS7, but it can be done.

i find the mixing of corvettes(st2 poster car) and mustangs in st2 to be increasingly interested.

it goes hard against what nasa national wants out of that class.

i find the mixing of corvettes(st2 poster car) and mustangs in st2 to be increasingly interested.

What does NASA national "want" out of the class?

Pete's car is a LS3 C6 with the C6 Z06 rear quarter panels on it.

Hmm, I thought I heard him tell me he had an LS7 in there at one time. I could have misunderstood.

And Rob, with the Boss winning both AI and ST2 this year (same driver, different car) I wonder if that got anyones attention. I think its cool to have more cars like that to come run ST2.

I remember Peter having less than a LS7 in it. He had multiple tunes he could use based on the weight of the car, but, as Brian said, it wasn't a LS7.

The other fellow who was there with Peter had Randy Rippie's C5 that had a LS7 in it. It was detuned to make the ST2 class.

But I know of no actual C6 Z06 (aluminium framed) racing in ST2.

What does NASA national "want" out of the class?

NASA has foundational lifestyle, marketing groups with which they have so well built their product. GTS3/4 cars are for the BMW lover. ST2 is for the Corvette racer. American Iron is for the pony car enthusiast. Put all those cars on similar tire and setup rules and they all run similar lap times. The NASA model though is to grow them seperately. I am not saying its bad by any means.

I wonder what kind of racing we would have if like performing cars all ran in the same class.

I'd be all for folding everything into PT & ST,

Jan 5th 2012, 2pm EST:

I agree with Ken.

when you swing for the fence every time up you don't get alot of hits, but when you do...