Ford Racing ABS Installation

marshallmosty

• Members

The ABS systems are independent of the ECU. The S-197 ones are tied together with a communication wire but it is not needed. The earlier SN-95 systems are 3 channel (two front and one to the rear). The newer SN-95 (03-04 maybe older) Cobra are the better ones because they are 4 channel.(two front and two rear). So swithing to the newer model will require a new harness and an additional rear brake line plumbed. the existing wires and wheel speed sensors in the front can be used but will have to be spliced into the new harness. (you will have to find a junk yard harness with at least a foot of the pigtail remaining to splice into).

As far as the dual masters go it is all hydraulic pressure. So yes they will work too. However I think the factory single master cylinders are a single size bore for the front and rear. so the dual masters may need to be both the same size as well. As always with dual masters some experimenting will have to be done. but the idea is to try to match the stock system that the ABS was designed for (Master cylinder size, caliper piston area, rotor diameter). As Dean said earlier that a bias control on the rear circuit help with tuning. the bias control goes right after the master cylinder before the Hydraulic control unit. With the dual masters the balance bar serves this same purpose.

If you need more info feel free to call.

Jay

Thanks for the help Jay! Will the wheel speed sensors from the 03 04 work on my 97 hubs? If so I ll call MPS and have them send me everything then I wont have to splice wires.

• Members

Yea, As far as I know all the tone rings and wheel speed sensors are the same on all SN-95 ABS cars.

On S-197 the tone rings are the same (well very similar) as the SN-95 but the wheel speed sensors are different.

However the earlier 3 channel cars had the sensor in the differential ( I believe) so tone rings will have to be added to the axles on these cars. I think the axles need to be removed to do this.

I think the whole discussion on the 03-04 Cobra stuff is that particular Hydraulic control unit HCU (ABS pump) is the superior model. or maybe it is just a better tune in the control module. not sure.

However the earlier 3 channel cars had the sensor in the differential ( I believe) so tone rings will have to be added to the axles on these cars.

3 channel ABS Mustangs have a tone ring/sensor on each axle.

Richard P.

However the earlier 3 channel cars had the sensor in the differential ( I believe) so tone rings will have to be added to the axles on these cars.

3 channel ABS Mustangs have a tone ring/sensor on each axle.

Richard P.

I can confirm this from what's on my car as well.

• Members

Well then the 3 channel wiring harness might just plug into the 03-04 Cobra HCU (ABS Pump).

This is the next question. I don't know the answer.

Jay

I stopped by a friends shop today that had a 03 cobra with the motor out and the wiring is different it only had 1 connector and it wasnt like the one on my 97 system(97 has 2 connectors). Also was at the ford dealer on saturday and he couldnt find the wiring illustration for the 03,04s abs. So does any one know how far back into the harness this system differs or what section I can tell the junkyard I need? I really dont want to do any cutting or splicing if I can avoid it. Dean If your reading this I hear your a possible expert.. any thoughts

• 1 month later...

I second redsnake08's question, what year mustang ABS harness do I need to source from the junkyard?

Also, any idea on what abs tone rings would fit on ford/torino 9" axle ends?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Links repaired. I'm pretty sure all the pictures are the same an in the correct order. I use FB to act as my "host" and I guess they transferred servers or something...

If anyone has any questions, or wants different pictures, please give me a call:

nine four zero seven three six nine zero four three

or send me a PM.

• 3 months later...

The 99-04 4 wheel ABS can be run as a standalone unit same as all the previous years.

As far as the FR500/GT500 4 wheel ABS unit goes, can you use the 03/04 Cobra IRS and Spindle wheel sensors and abs wheels?

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...

I'm working on the diagnostic port side of the ABS installation and need help sourcing the following:

1. 2011-2012 PCM (Powertrain Control Module)

2. 2011-2012 RCM (Restraint Contol Module)

All of these need the mating connector and at least 12" of wires for me to wire into.

If anyone knows of good wrecking yards that deal in these relatively new models would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 year later...

I have a schematic of the 03/04 cobra 4 wheel abs harness. Can anyone verify if it will plug into the gt500/fr500 unit and if the wiring locations are the same?

As well, will the 99-04 irs and spindle abd wheels and wheel sensors work with the fr500 unit?

If you are using hydroboost will it affect the abs unit?

Is the 03/04 Cobra ABS unit better than the FR500 unit?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

All,

An update on my system. I was still having trail braking snap-oversteer with the FR ABS unit, so I switched to the GT500 module and it settled the car down quite a bit. I have a feeling that the FR ABS unit is really going to be a setup and driver preference and not a "one size fits all" solution. Is this system better than the SN95 system that came out of the car... who knows...