getfast

Homestead March 10-11 registration is OPEN

beaner

You missed your shot at skipping all the HPDE stuff. SCCA just had their Comp school weekend at Roebling last weekend. No prior experience needed. 3 days and $160 and you have a Comp License.

i don't mind bringing it along slowly. i haven't gone w2w in a couple of decades, since my old formula ford days.

i do want the track photographer to get some pics of the flames shooting out entering T1! in my previous MINI (now a spare gutted shell), i had no problem with T1, it was the braking for T2 that made me work.

greg

getfast

You missed your shot at skipping all the HPDE stuff. SCCA just had their Comp school weekend at Roebling last weekend. No prior experience needed. 3 days and $160 and you have a Comp License.

LOL at skipping. Some call it "gaining experience and preparing." Which is exactly why the license you mention isn't recognized by NASA FL if that's all they have done on track - because it doesn't prepare them for racing anywhere near as well as climbing the HPDE ladder does. Learn to drive THEN learn to race. But that's probably a discussion for another thread

Mrsideways

He's a former racer, a quick refresher is all that's needed.

SCCA is simple, they toss you out on track for the driver school. You get a Novice Permit at that school which allows you to go race. But yes your actually out there racing after your first weekend. Every weekend the chief steward holds your novice permit, you must have a clean weekend with no infractions to get signed off. 4 clean weekends and you get a regional license, 6 weekends to get your national. The talent level of the racers between a National and a Regional race is eye opening.

It's really no different from doing a skip barber 3 day school and getting a comp license sign off from that.

I mean isn't a grand-am license just an issue of writing a check?

My advice to most is if your goal is to go racing. Don't get caught up in the HPDE phase. Most racers I know don't even know what HPDE is. They bought a race car, and went to a driver school and went racing. A majority of people I know that started doing HPDE's are still doing HPDE's and never got to the racing phase.

getfast

Didn't I say start a new thread?

Well not for him personally then, but for someone like you mentioned, with no prior experience.

NASA has a proven training system and a very clear ladder that has worked great for 20+ years now. Crawl before you walk, learn to fly before you become a fighter pilot, etc. The other routes you mention are simply not equivalent and quite obviously do not prepare someone as well for racing, which is exactly why you can't buy your way into racing with NASA FL after "just" a 3-day Skippy or other school. It doesn't take 5 years of HPDE's or anything, but we will want to see additional experience on track. Much less than what our ladder system offers... creates the potential for danger (at worst) or just really slow/bad/unaware racers (at best.) Although this may not be preferred by everyone, it is for the safety and enjoyment of all our racers - and works amazingly well in all NASA regions.

beaner

Ian: no worries. you will have a chance to kick my a$$ soon enough!

Jon: i am happy enough to go through an evaluation process and learn to drive, then learn to drive fast, then learn to race. i'm old, but i still have time. i will trust your (and therefore NASA's) accessment of my skill level.

FWIW: i did a 3-day Road Atlanta school, then a 3-day Skippy school at Sebring. either would have qualified me for a provisional license. i didn't feel that i was ready to go w2w after both of those. i don't want to be "that guy" out on the racecourse.

i look forward to meeting all of you soon. please stop by. i won't be hard to find or hear.

greg

Edited by Guest

getfast

happy enough to go through an evaluation process

didn't feel that i was ready to go w2w after both of those

don't want to be "that guy" out on the racecourse

All these things indicate to me that you are NASA material. So, again, welcome

Mrsideways
Ian: no worries. you will have a chance to kick my a$$ soon enough!

Jon: i am happy enough to go through an evaluation process and learn to drive, then learn to drive fast, then learn to race. i'm old, but i still have time. i will trust your (and therefore NASA's) accessment of my skill level.

FWIW: i did a 3-day Road Atlanta school, then a 3-day Skippy school at Sebring. either would have qualified me for a provisional license. i didn't feel that i was ready to go w2w after both of those. i don't want to be "that guy" out on the racecourse.

i look forward to meeting all of you soon. please stop by. i won't be hard to find or hear.

greg

LOL, You never feel ready. I still get butterflies at race start. When you don't have that it's time to retire. Looking forward to seeing you starting to do the NASA stuff.

beaner

LOL, You never feel ready. I still get butterflies at race start. When you don't have that it's time to retire. Looking forward to seeing you starting to do the NASA stuff.

i hear you. will you be at Homestead or Sebring? i have heard that those new babies require significant attention.

i will never go as fast as you, but i want to be comfortable going faster than i have gone before.

greg

edit: upon further review, i realize that going faster involves going outside one's comfort zone. i hope to be uncomfortable, while safe.

Balroks

I'd be very happy seeing Ian, myself, Greg, and the PTA guys do an ST2 weekend. Was great fun at the November race, while it lasted for me . I'm still a rook so no worries about me spanking anybody. I enjoy building the car as much as tracking...and now racing...it.

On the turbo for the Mini, you thinking of getting a used OEM 09+ kit? I think the stock boost is more then 3lbs, so you'd have to get an ultra soft wastegate spring in order to get it that low, and even then it'd be kinda useless because the spool would be like running a larger turbo. I'd just drop more weight instead for a car like that.

obzezzed350

I think he was referring to the S2K and its current motor swap.

minibeast

Do we have a Tire Vendor picked out yet for Homestead? I'm gonna need to get some new shoes and wanted to support our vendor if we have one.

Driven with Greg (Beaner) many times. You guys will have fun with him!

Balroks

Could we get the tentative entry list out soon so we can gauge what to do with the tires? I know it normally doesn't fill till the last week but at least people can see who's in what and can collaborate that much sooner.

32EVOIX
Do we have a Tire Vendor picked out yet for Homestead? I'm gonna need to get some new shoes and wanted to support our vendor if we have one.

Driven with Greg (Beaner) many times. You guys will have fun with him!

http://www.performancetread.com/?utm_source=NASA&utm_medium=150x150

Thanks Carmine, I am not always on the forum as much as I should be. Guys let me know in the next couple of weeks on tire orders, if any questions please contact me jim AT performancetread.com. Also, I am thinking of having a tire meeting at the end of the day on Saturday with all TT and racers interested to discuss and field ideas about tire choices as it relates not only to performance but contingency. We are all budget racers and these things are important I have had many questions on this topic in the last week. Our turnout is not as big as other regions and the new contingency for Hoosier requires 5 or more competitors for tires. In addition there are changes in the rules that I am sure some of you may have some questions as to the best tire to run. I am open to any suggestions, let’s not turn this into a forum discussion as everyone will jump in and it will get out of control.

BennyBad

hey jim

having issues with the goodyears for my car and thinking about going to hoosiers as many DSR are doing.

your website has no listing for R35.

need R35 20x7.5x13 fronts

need R35 22.5x10x13 rears

sent you a email also

thanks

benny

32EVOIX
hey jim

having issues with the goodyears for my car and thinking about going to hoosiers as many DSR are doing.

your website has no listing for R35.

need R35 20x7.5x13 fronts

need R35 22.5x10x13 rears

sent you a email also

thanks

benny

No problem for the R35, and I replied to your email as well, give me a call. Just so you guys know I don’t have everything on the site we are constantly adding and updating stuff it is always work in progress. In fact we are carrying brake pads, Hawk, cobalt friction, PFC etc, KW coil-overs as well as many other things. In fact if you need anything check with me first chances are we have it or can get it for you.

Thanks for the support guys

obzezzed350

I likely wont be driving this event, having some delays on some parts and the Z is already torn down. Might make it, Sebring for sure. I will still be there, cant miss more Mutineer fun!

TurboShortBus
I will still be there, cant miss more Mutineer fun!

Mr. Mackey showed up to party last time. But his dancing's bad, mmmmmkay?

Mark

beaner

i think that i'm going to like this group.

Balroks
I will still be there, cant miss more Mutineer fun!

Mr. Mackey showed up to party last time. But his dancing's bad, mmmmmkay?

Mark

Balroks
I likely wont be driving this event, having some delays on some parts and the Z is already torn down. Might make it, Sebring for sure. I will still be there, cant miss more Mutineer fun!

Laaaaammmmeeeee, fix your sh*t!

aceking66

entry list?

Balroks
entry list?

^pretty please.

Mrsideways

Laaaaammmmeeeee, fix your sh*t!

I think the delay on the parts is being unpacked from the box cause he's afraid of the banking........