Steep Driveway and Trailer Question

Rednels

I have a 24' enclosed trailer for the race car and I am tired of having to work on the race car out in the weather. I would like to be able to get the trailer up my driveway, but its kind of steep.

Do any of you guys have any tips for getting it up the driveway? When I try backing the trailer up at an angle the back is dragging a bit and tearing up my driveway. I thought about putting some casters on the back, but I am afraid the trailer frame isn't designed to handle the load back there.

Any ideas?

The first thing that comes to my mine is just driving your car into the garage from the street.

If there is only one spot that gives you trouble when you reach that spot maybe you could put some boards under the trailer tires to give it some lift.

Firebird Man

I have the small steel casters on mine, driveway is concrete and while it still marks it it doesn't grind into it anymore.

I used to have some 6' long 2 x 8's doubled and angle cut to act as a ramp to get the wheels up before the back hit, worked pretty good but a PITA to deal with. I hollowed out the middle of the bottom board to reduce the weight, but since they repaved our street it raised it up some so I just let it roll on the casters now.

Generally I'll go down the drive (out) with the car loaded in the trailer but I unload in the street after a race rather than back over 8000 lbs up a hill on the steel casters until the tires get on the drive, especially when using the wifes SUV

I've blown out a few front tranny seals over the years backing boats and trailers up the hill.

Same issue with my driveway and it's too steep for the car as well. The driveway has multiple scars and the casters collapsed. Oh well. The trailer frame has survived so far. Figure I'll address the driveway when I move.

The problem with the car is it would take as much work as the trailer to get up the driveway. I have done it before and it took 2 of us 30 minutes to get the race car up the driveway.

But the main problem with that is all of my tools are in my trailer and there is not way I can get them up the driveway without the trailer. So it would do me no good to get the car in without the tools......

Im so close that Im thinking a good wood ramp might do the trick....I will try that first. If I do go the caster route, how do you mount them to the frame? Just bolts, or welding?

Firebird Man

Im so close that Im thinking a good wood ramp might do the trick....I will try that first. If I do go the caster route, how do you mount them to the frame? Just bolts, or welding?

Mine are about 2" dia x 3" wide steel, mounted in a low profile steel U frame. A lot of trailer places have them, I tried a quick search but didn't see any but I have seen them for sell online.

They weld on to the back with a little bracing. Go to a trailer yard and look around, they're bound to have one with them already mounted, then you'll see it's a pretty simple mount.

These would be a good addition my my low deck open trailer. Over the years I've just gotten used to dragging the back end around in certain places.

I'd try the casters. Can you lower the height of the hitch? Lowering the front of trailer should raise the rear and give more clearance.

Loading the car closer to the front of trailer may also help. Make sure trailer tires are properly inflated, inflated to (safe) maximum may raise the trailer.

Well, knowing that they make skid wheels specifically for the purpose I need them for makes me feel a little better about them. I'm assuming they won't damage the trailer if people are using these.

How badly will the steel wheels scar a concrete driveway?

• Members
How badly will the steel wheels scar a concrete driveway?

I had them on my first trailer and as long as you are backing straight and don't have too much weight they won't leave much of a mark.

These would be a good addition my my low deck open trailer. Over the years I've just gotten used to dragging the back end around in certain places.

Yours would need to be chromed.

Yours would need to be chromed.

Good idea.. do they have that option? Maybe carbon fiber?

Pfffftt!

Hell, that ain't nothing.

Every time I get home to the Big Pine Key Mobile Home and Adult Theme Park, I've got back my trailer up this driveway. It used to be a lot tougher until we got the driveway graveled.

redneck-high-rise.jpg

Pfffftt!

Hell, that ain't nothing.

Every time I get home to the Big Pine Key Mobile Home and Adult Theme Park, I've got back my trailer up this driveway. It used to be a lot tougher until we got the driveway graveled.

redneck-high-rise.jpg

That house is pretty much the norm in most parts of KY.