Texas Roll Call...

loftygoals

Who's racing this year? More importantly who is going to be at MSR-Houston this month?

I'm signed up and the race is over a week away still--amazing, huh?

I know Al will be there.

Todd C. won't because he'll be at Daytona.

Todd I. isn't going to make it.

Ryan P. is off dropping bombs somewhere.

What about Phil? Or Chris?

I spoke with Kevin, and he is on the fence. He's trying to figure out why all the horses escaped from his motor.

Any one else?

If not, I see a lot of first place finishes for me and 2nd place finishes for Al!

-bj

Just got my car back from the fabricator yesterday, won't be ready for Houston.

I will see ya'll at Cresson.

Fabricator? I'm guessing that you are quietly converting to a tube frame chassis, aren't you? You'll be missed at MSR-H!

-bj

Just got my car back from the fabricator yesterday, won't be ready for Houston.

I will see ya'll at Cresson.

Fabricator? I'm guessing that you are quietly converting to a tube frame chassis, aren't you? You'll be missed at MSR-H!

-bj

Spyshot of Phil's progress

944s_gtr_engine_edited.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So how many 944 guys do we have in Texas right now? I am at the point where I need to pick a class and buy a car. I originally wanted to do SM, but that is a big money spec class that I don't think would turn out to be that much fun. I like the 944, never had the chance to ride in one, but I think it would make a good racecar for this purpose. I found a car that I am about ready to pull the trigger on, but I don't want to get a car and then find out the class is dead in this region. My other option is to get a CMC car, but then I feel like I should be running moonshine. The classes are bigger and I would always have somebody to race with, but I don't think I'm as into those cars. I think I just read somewhere that last year was the first year for Spec 944 in Texas. Do we have more guys working towards racing in the class?

Just approved the posts. There is no auto notice on post waiting for approval so I only see it when I stop by. Most of them are spam any way. Clearly not yours.

944 Spec in Texas went from 3 entries in 2010, to 37 entries last year, so I'd say it's reached critical mass, and is growing quickly. A great group of guys when I raced with "y'all" at Hallet (did I say that right? ).

The water is warm, jump on in.

BJ Meyer is a great resource for you guys down there, too, with his Clownshoe Motorsports shop.

Yes Texas is growing in 944-Spec, I built up my car last year along with getting my license. There are currently two more cars being built in Texas and hopefully by mid-season will be up and running with the regular group from last year.

If you haven't been in a 944, just go to one of the race weekends and ask to jump in during an HPDE session and you can see how they get around the track.

Cheers,

Ryan

944 Spec in Texas went from 3 entries in 2010, to 37 entries last year, so I'd say it's reached critical mass, and is growing quickly. A great group of guys when I raced with "y'all" at Hallet (did I say that right? ).

The water is warm, jump on in.

BJ Meyer is a great resource for you guys down there, too, with his Clownshoe Motorsports shop.

Thanks for the props...

Spec 944 is really growing here. We have 3 cars in Dallas, 1 in Abilene, 1 in Round Rock, and 2 in Houston. We also have 2 cars that join us from Kansas City. There are at least 3 other guys in Texas building cars that should be finished in 2012. That means we could have as many as a dozen cars in Texas in 2012!

-bj

Well my other consideration is how well the class is populated around the country since I have the potential to move to any number of places in 2 years. I'm finding that Florida/South East doesn't really have any cars but most of the other regions have a good group. I'm ready to pick a class and start getting up to speed. I shouldn't have any issue getting a provisional since I'm already signed off DE3 and have a few years of karting experience. Ive found a suitable car that I think would be a good pickup I just need to do the final rationalizations in my head before I pull the trigger.

Well my other consideration is how well the class is populated around the country since I have the potential to move to any number of places in 2 years. I'm finding that Florida/South East doesn't really have any cars but most of the other regions have a good group. I'm ready to pick a class and start getting up to speed. I shouldn't have any issue getting a provisional since I'm already signed off DE3 and have a few years of karting experience. Ive found a suitable car that I think would be a good pickup I just need to do the final rationalizations in my head before I pull the trigger.

Good to hear that you are close to a decision.

It's a solid series. The cars are very economical, well as economical as race cars can be, and they are pretty cool cars--not as sexy as a 911, but cooler than a Mazda. That's not to say that SM isn't a good series. SM is a great series, but I am 100% confident that you can buy/build a 944 Spec car that is competitive on a National level for nearly half of what it would take to be Nationally competitive in SM.

The 944 is also incredibly fun to drive. In spec form, it doesn't transition quite as quick as a SM, but it will hold more sustained lateral G's. It is extremely neutral and amazing in the rain. The guys running here in TX are also amazing. We typically do anything and everything to help ensure our competitors make it on track. Though. once that green flag drops it is all out war.

It seems to be the place for TX pilots as well. One of our drivers is a B2 pilot and another that is building a car is a C130 pilot.

If you'd like to discuss anything about the series, please feel free to email or call:

BJ Meyer

Clown Shoe Motorsports

214-774-2100

[email protected]

looks like SE region's 944 Spec is growing as well.

Just my $0.02 - I'd rather have a 5 car field of people that I'm extremely comfortable racing with than a 50 car field with the same 5 people I'm comfortable racing with, 40 people I'm iffy about racing with, and 5 people that scare the #$&% out of me Quality over Quantity so to speak.

In TX the 944-Specs in the same race group that I am - I'd go door handle to door handle with any and all of them comfortably they race close but under control.

It seems to be the place for TX pilots as well. One of our drivers is a B-1 pilot and another that is building a car is a C130 pilot.

Fixed that for you BJ. Keep that up and I'm gonna have to bully you into the dirt at the apexes like I do to Al...

Working on completing a purchase for a 944 car right now. I hope to be able to attend the April race at TWS. I heard word of a possible comp school at that event?

Yes there is a comp school in April at TWS. Have you been licensed to race with NASA or another organization like SCCA before?

If your car aquisition falls through, I'll just throw out that there's also cars available from the Rocky Mountain Region that can be delivered to MSR Cresson at the next event. Chuck Taylor is the man to talk to about that, and he's posted in the discussion here: http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55314

If you're able, I recommend stopping by at Cresson on one of the upcoming event days to meet a few folks check out the cars and ask questions.

As always, any of the 944 guys are more than willing to offer up any advice or help out.

Cheers,

Ryan

I have ~6 years of karting experience and have been signed off DE3 with NASA at Road Atlanta, Red run group with The Drivers Edge, Yellow with TWS PDS (and race online with iRacing regularly if that counts). As soon as I get the car back to Texas Ill be signing up for that comp school at TWS. I still have to buy a full set of driver's attire, new harnesses, and de-mod the car before it'll be Spec legal.

I'm planning on trying to do a HPDE prior to the comp school week end to get acquainted with the car if possible. By the time May rolls around, I should be racing.

Yuppers. Im going to try and pick it up next week end and then maybe do the drivers edge event the following weekend in cresson if they still have room.

Bj meyer of clownshoe usually instructs for the drivers edge. If he is there you should have him check out the car. He has basically rebuilt my car since I moved to texas.

Bj meyer of clownshoe usually instructs for the drivers edge. If he is there you should have him check out the car. He has basically rebuilt my car since I moved to texas.

Yep, I'll be there. I'd be happy to give the car the once over.

-bj