Texas Roll Call...

loftygoals

So I got me leave signed today and the car is ready for pickup. I leave next Thursday to bring back a Spec 944 from Florida. I plan on attending Comp school in April. Its just a shame that I wont be able to get any track time before that week end. I still don't want to miss the opportunity though as I know TWS extremely well so my inexperience in the car should be slightly offset because of that. I have a HANS device now, so I just need the rest of the drivers attire. I was looking at spending a little more money on a helmet first and getting a cheap suit. Any recommendations would be great as Ill be doing some ordering over the next week.

Nice car for the price, I was even a bit jealous of how well that car was prepped for the money compared to my moneypit.

Good choice on a better helmet, the fit and comfort in the heat during some of our long sprints or if you do any enduros will be well worth the extra coin. My buddy and I ended up getting the Bell K-1 series. I had a Pyrotect before and the comfort and fit were a huge step up. Saferacer has them for $400, but if you fall into the right size, there's a M4 Pro composite currently on markdown for only $50 more which I would have preferred if I had the extra to spend. http://www.saferacer.com/bell-m4-pro-helmet.html?productid=361

Whatever you chose, I would strongly recommend gloss white/black, my buddy found out the matte black chips easily.

As for a suit, lightweight and light colors is all I can offer up as I'm in the market for the same thing since my used low-buck suit is black and like heavy canvas. Great for losing weight at the track in August, not good for much else.

Cheers,

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 944 back from Florida yesterday. Already signed up for the comp school at TWS. I am extremely familiar with CCW at TWS so this will help tremendously in my learning the car. Looks like there will be a total of 3 944s doing comp school that week end so it should be fun. I know Ill take any help I can get from you experienced guys in getting to know the car. I haven't even figured out how to properly jack it up yet.

64 Competition License Jason Stanley Nolanville TX Porsche 944 1983

71 Competition License Kilynn Weber Plano TX Porsche 924S 1987

956 Competition License Phil Hanson Weatherford TX Porsche 944 spec 1983

Per the entry list posted in the Texas section.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Dust has long since settled on TWS...congrats on the purchase and a really successfuly first weekend racing it Jason! Sharp car too.

Fun week end but it sounds like we are so close to having a larger field on a consistent basis. Who do we need to start peer pressuring into getting their stuff squared away/fixed/done so they can come race? Al has a good start on the email distro. I think that can help but I also think we can do better in forum participation. I had a lot of interest from the guys around my pit stall in the car. One or two of the miata guys even hinted that they were interested in getting a 944. If SM can field class sizes of 50 cars then theres no reason why we cant get into the teens on a consistent basis. This was also another reason why I got a 944 is so I could help build the class.