TT helmet rule question

J_Roberts

I searched so please pardon me if I missed this. Does the new 2012 restriction against M2005 rated helmets (SA only) also apply to the TT classes? I think it may only apply to the competition classes but I want to be sure.

Thanks

• National Staff

TT uses the HPDE safety rules, so the minimum requirement would still be this rule for helmets:

Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1990 (SA1990; M1990) or newer (or

equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles.

However, we always recommend that driver's get the most up to date and best safety equipment possible when running in HPDE4 and TT. If your head is worth more than $150, then your helmet probably should be as well. There are plenty of M2005 helmets that are very good helmets. They just don't provide the extra fire protection of the SA helmets.

Agreed. But I would rather keep my current, completely decent M2005 helmet for now and use the money saved towards a HANS device. I think I will be better off that way in terms of safety. Plus I wear a nomex balaclava.

Thanks for the response Greg.

• 2 weeks later...

I can accept M helmets (where the driver isn't required to wear a nomex suit), but 1990? This needs to be updated for DE as well as TT. Do we really want 20 year old helmets on participants' heads?