Corvette C5 rear floor pan mod?

pbuff

I am building a C5 Z06 for ST-1

There is a small well in the rear floor pan that, if removed, would make simplify fabrication of the exhaust system and provide easier access to the transaxle. Absolutely no aero improvement or weight reduction. The panel (tub) is a sheet molded compound.

Please advise on the implications of cutting this well out and installing a flat aluminum panel.

Regards,

Phil Buffington

NASA-AZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • National Staff

Greg S. did not request or get any waiver that I am aware of or recall. Without seeing more photos of his car, I cannot tell if the modifications he has made are legal in ST or not.

What I can say is that we have reviewed the well area in front of the rear bumper on the C5 Vette, and it is going to be treated the same as the spare tire floor section of the rear hatch of other cars.

2) Removal of the spare tire floor section of the rear hatch space and either replacement with a

sheet metal cover or placement of a fuel cell is permitted without an additional Modification

Factor.

If that's the case then he's fine. He removed the rear tub floor and replaced it with the metal you see above. It sure makes servicing the trans/diff easier.

• National Staff

What should be removed is just the "spare tire" area--ie. the sunken area. It may be that is all that is removed, and then the sheet metal is placed over the entire rear hatch area. I just can't tell from the one photo. The rule does not allow removal of an entire rear hatch floor (unless the whole thing is sunken for the spare tire). This rule is to allow that sunken area of sheet metal to be removed for better aero, and easier installation of fuel cells and exhaust.

What should be removed is just the "spare tire" area--ie. the sunken area. It may be that is all that is removed, and then the sheet metal is placed over the entire rear hatch area. I just can't tell from the one photo. The rule does not allow removal of an entire rear hatch floor (unless the whole thing is sunken for the spare tire). This rule is to allow that sunken area of sheet metal to be removed for better aero, and easier installation of fuel cells and exhaust.

10-4... I left mine alone. Perfect spot for a beer cooler

248355_1938486753095_1570178111_1888327_5662186_n.jpg