Question for the enclosed trailer owners

wheelhopper

I just bought an enclosed trailer. I have a couple wall mount tire racks from Tire Rack that I got for Xmas and want to mount them in my trailer. My question is how do I mount them? I don't want them to fall off the wall and I can't find any directions online anywhere, the ones that came with the rack are for mounting into 2x4+ wood studs. The only thought I had was to obviously mount them to the metal studs in the trailer with numerous metal screws.

I didn't trust the self tapping screws that came with mine.Plus I was not having 8 tires and wheels hanging over my hood and windshield.I used 3/8 bolts and over sized washers with a small piece of rubber just in case of water leaks and screwed through the entire wall and stud.

I haven't had any problems and I installed it 4 years ago.

Robert

Locate the studs (metal) in the walls of the interior of the trailer (the studs are pretty narrow if I remember correctly only about an inch wide so you have to be pretty accurate when locating them) use self tapping screws just make sure they are not too long so they don't go through the outside of the trailer. I have never had any trouble with mine at all, I think they were a 1/4 inch diameter screws with about 5/16 socket heads. If you just drill a pilot to get them started they grab very well and they will tighten up nicely. I do check mine from time to time to be sure they are not backing out. The spare tire mount I used was tall enough vertically to allow me to put 3 or 4 screws through the mount. Hope this helps...

Locate the studs (metal) in the walls of the interior of the trailer (the studs are pretty narrow if I remember correctly only about an inch wide so you have to be pretty accurate when locating them) use self tapping screws just make sure they are not too long so they don't go through the outside of the trailer. I have never had any trouble with mine at all, I think they were a 1/4 inch diameter screws with about 5/16 socket heads. If you just drill a pilot to get them started they grab very well and they will tighten up nicely.

Exactly what I did as well. No problems whatsoever.