Car class

Bill Seifert

I just joined NASA and the forums. I have been racing a 99 Honda Civic SI in SCCA class SSC. The end of last year while running Time Attack I took the passenger seat and rear seats out. It has a Cat-back straight pipe, no AC or radio, Hoosier R6's. I am installing Skunk 2 coilovers, with 500/300 lb springs, I am figuring PTE, but the rules are confusing. Does anyone have any idea which class I will run?

I am in the Utah Region, and am told there will be no Honda Challenge for a while, just Performance Touring A-F.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Seifert

Sounds about right for an SSC Civic. That ruleset is fairly straight forward, look up where your car starts, add up the points for the mods you have, and see where you end up. The hp/weight calculations are just a final check to make sure the car isn't too overpowered to fit the class, you must be good on both the points side and hp/weight side to be legal for any given class.

If you search in the PT section farther down the page there is an excel file I built that helps you figure out all the classing math - just enter info from your car's listing, check off the boxes that apply to your car, enter the tire size and min weight you're running, and you're done. Its for the 2011 ruleset but the 2012 changes were very very minor.

Or is part of what's throwing you off figuring out if Part XYZ you have fits which modification line?

semi stupid question but figured I'd ask it here. engine swapping a car means the dyno reclass is the new base class for the car, right? so if a PTE car has +20 points (making it PTD) and then gets an engine swap and is dyno reclassed to PTB, it is now a PTA car with the original +20 points? (assuming the 20 points were not engine related)

semi stupid question but figured I'd ask it here. engine swapping a car means the dyno reclass is the new base class for the car, right? so if a PTE car has +20 points (making it PTD) and then gets an engine swap and is dyno reclassed to PTB, it is now a PTA car with the original +20 points? (assuming the 20 points were not engine related)

Correct. Greg will reclass your car at some whp and base weight that you specify. At then you don't take any more points for engine mods (but you need to be under the whp you were classed to) but you will need to take points for everything else, such as tire/suspension/aero/etc. So if you have more than 19 points in those categories, you would be bumped up to PTA.

When asking for a dyno reclass, there are a couple ways to do it. You could ask to be reclassed to PTB at some whp, and Greg will tell you your new base weight, or you could instead specify weight and Greg will tell you your max whp. Just depends on how you want to do it.