Welcome to the Spec Z area of the Forums

Jeremy C.

• 4 years later...

I'm not trying to start any arguments here just genuinely curious as to why SpecZ representation is basically dead in most regions? These cars a relatively cheap for the performance you get yet no one is out there. Just not seeing it. Anyone have good reasons or thoughts?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

used ones are cheap

new builds not cheap

what do you mean by cheap

I'm not trying to start any arguments here just genuinely curious as to why SpecZ representation is basically dead in most regions? These cars a relatively cheap for the performance you get yet no one is out there. Just not seeing it. Anyone have good reasons or thoughts?

My completely unqualified thoughts are as follows....

The 350z is a very middle of the road car.

If you wanted a lighter better handling car you would buy a miata, e30, s2000, boxster, BRZ.

If you were OK with the weight of the z you would buy a c5 vette or e46 m3 instead with more power.

I just don't think that the z does any one thing especially well. It strikes me as being moderately good at everything. That is not to say that they cannot be made to go very fast, but there are many options that are better for (relatively speaking) similar money right out of the box. Given a track car is a no-compromise vehicle, I believe people would rather go for something more extreme.

I also think it is hard to get a new series going. You see a lot of 350zs at the track participating in other series' rather than specZ. I believe it is a bit of a chicken or the egg scenario where no one does spec z, because no one does spec z. there are ways to change this. Why not offer Spec z participants free entry for the first 3 years of the series or something like that. I am willing to bet you would build large classes in no time. Once the roots were down the series would perpetuate itself....again just my thoughts.

very reliable in my experience.

very good looking

they should get a deal with a carbon trunk and door supplier and the weight issue is solved. will be like 2900 then, similar to bmws

needs no modifications/reinforcements to the uni-body (chassis) to be track ready, unlike bmw

very roomy inside

sports car like suspension, very easy to replace parts, if needed. not often

My completely unqualified thoughts are as follows....

The 350z is a very middle of the road car.

If you wanted a lighter better handling car you would buy a miata, e30, s2000, boxster, BRZ.

If you were OK with the weight of the z you would buy a c5 vette or e46 m3 instead with more power.

I just don't think that the z does any one thing especially well. It strikes me as being moderately good at everything. That is not to say that they cannot be made to go very fast, but there are many options that are better for (relatively speaking) similar money right out of the box. Given a track car is a no-compromise vehicle, I believe people would rather go for something more extreme.

I also think it is hard to get a new series going. You see a lot of 350zs at the track participating in other series' rather than specZ. I believe it is a bit of a chicken or the egg scenario where no one does spec z, because no one does spec z. there are ways to change this. Why not offer Spec z participants free entry for the first 3 years of the series or something like that. I am willing to bet you would build large classes in no time. Once the roots were down the series would perpetuate itself....again just my thoughts.