Brakes

MACAuto

The rules don't seem to me to be specific enough about Brakes. Will all the cars run on the standard brakes, or will all of the competitor/builders need to upgrade to the Brembos to be competitive? Not easy at all to find a Track model for sale....

The rules aren't clear on this. What Brake options are allowed?

Bill McMahan

NASA RM Super Touring Director

Parker, Colorado

I believe ANY OEM brakes are allowed, including the OEM Brembo package...but this is not official, just based on all the threads I have read...the Spec Z "unwritten" rules apparently allows for updating with OEM parts

17 Brake System

17.1 Brake System

a) Brake pads are unrestricted.

b) Brake rotors must be the same type, material, and dimensions as OEM. Brake rotors from

alternate companies may be used. Brake rotors may be cryogenically treated.

c) Steel braided brake lines may be used.

d) Disc brake backing plates may be removed.

e) The emergency brake level and/or cables and associated must remain functional.

f) Anti-lock braking systems (ABS) may be disabled.

I think others have it right, you can use the OEM non-Brembos, but you will want them to be competitive.

I think the G35 model brembos have the same part number so you may be able to scavenge some off of those.

I'm upgrading my brakes on my 350z. I have the brembo package from a G35-- it worked very well in a bolt-on swap. I will prob not compete in spec Z so will be happy to sell my front brembos (which are legal in spec Z)- otherwise I advise you guys to look on Craig's list or ebay for used brembo calipers.

--matt

We have been racing on the Brembo brakes for 6 years and they are up to the job. We also strongly recommend you use Carbotech brakes. A call to Carbotech and talk to Danny will get you the right sets numbers for front and rear.

Racerbob4:

Have you installed cooling ducts to keep the Brembo's cool? I used to run my '03 Track Model at Road Atlanta (with stock front bumper, no cooling ducts) and nearly always had serious brake fade.

If you have installed cooling ducts, can you tell us about your setup for that?

Thanks.

Besides finding a used set (which will likely become scarce and pricey) what other sources will there be? Can you still get this exact OEM set from Brembo new? How about Nissan or NISMO?

What sucks is how all these cars that have Brembos stock all have slightly different bolt spacing and piston size. Otherwise there are a plethora of used OEM 4/2-piston Brembos out there for sale (Evos, STIs, etc.)

Racerbob4:

Have you installed cooling ducts to keep the Brembo's cool? I used to run my '03 Track Model at Road Atlanta (with stock front bumper, no cooling ducts) and nearly always had serious brake fade.

Thanks.

I don't know how long you were running hard with the Brembo so I can't speak to your brake fade. We ran our cars as both T2 and T3 and only use Carbotech pads. A phone call to Danny at Carbotech will get you the latest pad advice. We run SCCA 30 to 35 minute races and 20 to 25 minute practice sessions so never really had any brake problems. In T3 our car weighted 3400 #'s last year and thats pretty heavy. Last year we also added the Nismo front bumper and found some old ducts in our spare junk and we heated them with a heat gun and formed them to fit in the vertical slots on the outside parts of the bumper and ran those red hoses to some clips over the brake rotors and they pick up a decent amount of air to the brakes. A few years ago we used the undertray set-up and I don't think we were able to direct a lot of air with that set-up.

Thanks for that info. I was running HPDE and TT sessions with a full stock weight car in various ambient conditions (30 to 98 degrees F). But the car had EBC Red Stuff pads; this is a street/track hybrid pad. Perhaps those pads were not sufficient. I assume you were using Carbotech race pads. Do you recall the model/name of the pads you ran?

It's very good to know that you ran with no brake issues.

• 2 weeks later...
Racerbob4:

Thanks.

I don't know how long you were running hard with the Brembo so I can't speak to your brake fade. We ran our cars as both T2 and T3 and only use Carbotech pads. A phone call to Danny at Carbotech will get you the latest pad advice. We run SCCA 30 to 35 minute races and 20 to 25 minute practice sessions so never really had any brake problems. In T3 our car weighted 3400 #'s last year and thats pretty heavy. Last year we also added the Nismo front bumper and found some old ducts in our spare junk and we heated them with a heat gun and formed them to fit in the vertical slots on the outside parts of the bumper and ran those red hoses to some clips over the brake rotors and they pick up a decent amount of air to the brakes. A few years ago we used the undertray set-up and I don't think we were able to direct a lot of air with that set-up.

You used an 07+ NISMO front bumper on your pre 07' Z? Or am I missing something. ? . ? I have been shopping for just the front splitter, but to no avail.

We put the '07 Nismo front and rear bumper on our '07 car for the last half of the 2011 season. Prior to that we didn't have any brake ducts on this car. On our '03 car we used the splitter brake ducts and didn't think they made any rear difference. With the new Nismo bumper we heated and warped some brake duct pieces and fitted them to the bumper openings on each end of the bumper and with a bracket and some orange duct they work just great. We have nver really had any brake issues with either one of our Z cars but did have problems with both of our T2 Camaros. I think when we were racing Camaros Rob learned how to drive around the problems and make the brakes last for the length of the race. Maybe some of the guys who are having major brake issues are using the wrong pads or don't have the brembo calipers.

I've used EBC Yellowstuff pads (not really full-on track pads) in non-Brembo calipers for HPDE and after 20 minutes on a track that is tough on brakes (CMP) the fronts are smoking hot, literally. I have not had any problems with fade but I think after more than 30 minutes it would become an issue.

I hope that better pads in Brembos will fare better. I'm just not sure where you are supposed to find a set of Brembos other than buying them new. They can be hard to find used.

I've used EBC Yellowstuff pads (not really full-on track pads) in non-Brembo calipers for HPDE and after 20 minutes on a track that is tough on brakes (CMP) the fronts are smoking hot, literally. I have not had any problems with fade but I think after more than 30 minutes it would become an issue.

I hope that better pads in Brembos will fare better. I'm just not sure where you are supposed to find a set of Brembos other than buying them new. They can be hard to find used.

I will have an extra set in a few weeks from a Grand Touring Z I'm parting out. I have sold a few sets via this same fashion.

I have a set of fronts with 2 piece stoptech rotors that just came off mine...just saying