A couple rules clarifications please

speedengineer

Hi all. I currently run TTC with my S2000, but will transition to racing either this year or next and am considering building the car for H1. I've been reading through the 2012 rulebook, but have a couple questions yet.

a) With the S2000 being H1 restricted prep, the engine must be "completely OEM and conform to the exact specifications found in the factory service

manual." Does this refer only to the engine internals, meaning I can still run an intake/header/exhaust if I choose to?

b) Do the specified horsepower limits listed in section 12 apply only to H2 vehicles, cause that's what it sounds like. Is that only for nationals, or for regional events too?

c) Looks like for H1 (even the s2000) all wheel widths and tire widths are open, correct?

Thanks!

Jason,

As the HC Series Director in your area, here is what I'd advise you:

a) Per the rulebook, it doesn't say in Section 9 that the RPV's can run an Intake/Header/Exhaust, so I'll leave this for clarification from one of the other SD's that are more familiar with the S2k's that have been running in their regions. Engine management is open.

b) Yes, the HP limits in the rulebook only apply to the H2 class, and are only for the National Championships.

c) Yes, wheel and tire widths are open for all H1 vehicles including RPV's.

Regards,

Sam

Thanks for the info Sam. Also, I know H2 had some great turnouts in our region last year, have you heard if there will be any more H1 cars this season?

Anybody else know more on the engine modification rules for RPV's?

Not aware of any H1 cars other than the TL, but most of the H2 cars will be returning, though I'm sure your car is far too modded to return to the Factory Prep required for H2.

Regards,

Sam

It's actually pretty much H2 legal right now, I'd just don't want to run 2900 lbs on 7" wheels with 235 tires... That, and if I did nationals, the car would be over the 220 whp after I get an ECU this spring, so I'd have to do a whole different tune just for nationals.

However, if I set it up for H1, I'd do intake and exhaust, which would then make me a TTB car, and I'd much rather run TTC this year. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

edit, for H2 I guess I'd have to switch to the CR wing. And also CR springs? Specifically mentions any single bodied damper is ok, but not sure about springs. This rulebook sure could be more explicit!

Ahw, nobody knows the answer to this one?

a) With the S2000 being H1 restricted prep, the engine must be "completely OEM and conform to the exact specifications found in the factory service

manual." Does this refer only to the engine internals, meaning I can still run an intake/header/exhaust if I choose to?

• National Staff
Ahw, nobody knows the answer to this one?

Yes, engine internals.

You can still run intake/header/exhaust!

I'd strongly suggest that if you can keep the car H2 legal, you do so as you'll have a much better field of competitors to race against.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, engine internals.

You can still run intake/header/exhaust!

I'd strongly suggest that if you can keep the car H2 legal, you do so as you'll have a much better field of competitors to race against.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you for clearing that up!

You're right that I'd definitely have a much bigger field of competitors in H2, although I intend to to mostly TT this season, and am considering running the required number of races to 'supersize' into H1, maybe H2, at Nationals.

I was looking at the H1 lap times compared to my TTC lap times from last September. The fastest H1 time in any session was just under a 1:37.3, which is 0.5 seconds faster than my best time that same week. But, switching from TTC trim to H1 trim, I get to remove 210 lbs, and make an easy 20 more hp, as well as add a splitter if I want it. And that 1:37.3 was on a Hoosier and now everyone will be back on RA1's. Now I know that race times don't always align with TT times, but sheesh!, it looks like I could have the potential to be very competitive in H1. Maybe I could be fast in H2 too, but the mods I'd have to do to the car to fit into H2 are not easy to quickly change, preventing me from easily running TTC the same weekend.

Thank you for clearing that up!

You're right that I'd definitely have a much bigger field of competitors in H2, although I intend to to mostly TT this season, and am considering running the required number of races to 'supersize' into H1, maybe H2, at Nationals.

I was looking at the H1 lap times compared to my TTC lap times from last September. The fastest H1 time in any session was just under a 1:37.3, which is 0.5 seconds faster than my best time that same week. But, switching from TTC trim to H1 trim, I get to remove 210 lbs, and make an easy 20 more hp, as well as add a splitter if I want it. And that 1:37.3 was on a Hoosier and now everyone will be back on RA1's. Now I know that race times don't always align with TT times, but sheesh!, it looks like I could have the potential to be very competitive in H1. Maybe I could be fast in H2 too, but the mods I'd have to do to the car to fit into H2 are not easy to quickly change, preventing me from easily running TTC the same weekend.

Yes, race in H1 at nationals with me! I'm sure you'll be REALLY competitive at 210lbs. less and +20hp! Why spend money or change/remove your mods to be in H2 when you'll be a front runner in H1?

Yes, race in H1 at nationals with me! I'm sure you'll be REALLY competitive at 210lbs. less and +20hp! Why spend money or change/remove your mods to be in H2 when you'll be a front runner in H1?

Haha, we'll see. The car might be very capable, but that doesn't mean my racecraft will have any chance of being able to keep up with you!

Now if we can get 10+ H1 competitors this year, that would make participation very enticing!

There were 9-H1 competitors in 2011, and some will be returning as well, in addition to a few new H1 racers at nationals.