Starting out in TTB- type of car

twt

So, I have done several track days "renting" a C5Z (and a SM)...I have some limited racing experience in an MX5 and had an SCCA racing license through Skippy. I am ready to buy my own car mostly for HPDE and move up to Time Trials at a later date. I like the C5 which has good support in Atlanta. I know that I am not fast (yet) and can not compete at the TTA level until I log many more miles of track time. I noticed that a base C5 is a TTB* car that only allows for slight modification. This should keep costs down and also allow me to drive it to the track. Others have told me to jump into a used T1 car right away because of the upgrades and safety features. Any thoughts from some experts would be appreciated.

I would post a similar question in the southeast section where the c5 mafioso hang out mostly.

I'd love to have another "not quite there yet" TTA car to chase. The other guys just blow by me at lap 3

So, I have done several track days "renting" a C5Z (and a SM)...I have some limited racing experience in an MX5 and had an SCCA racing license through Skippy. I am ready to buy my own car mostly for HPDE and move up to Time Trials at a later date. I like the C5 which has good support in Atlanta. I know that I am not fast (yet) and can not compete at the TTA level until I log many more miles of track time. I noticed that a base C5 is a TTB* car that only allows for slight modification. This should keep costs down and also allow me to drive it to the track. Others have told me to jump into a used T1 car right away because of the upgrades and safety features. Any thoughts from some experts would be appreciated.

A well sorted TTB C5 would be awesome. I can build one for less than $15k.

Let me know if you're interested.

Let Scott build it.

245 A6s, will give you 5 pts to play with.

Put on stiff leafs and Penskes.

Or at least C5Z shocks springs to get started. It will be way easier to drive than the base model setup.

And, of course, the free mods.

What type of car should I start with....FRC/Targa? Are the newer cars better, like the 2004 which has more HP. The way I read the rules I need to start with a true "base" car and avoid the Z51 or end up in TTA. Is HUD worth getting or any other option that I need to keep or avoid.

looking for a pretty smoking TTB vette in the SE this year

It will be the first purpose built TTB car with all the tweaks learned from those who went before...

Rory's TTA car started as a T1 car that we de-modded to fit into TTA. He started out in HPDE 1 in 2010 and that was the first/only car he's driven on track (he did do some DE's with cycles in the past.)

So starting out with a sorted/caged car isn't that bad of an idea.

Maybe take a look at Varkwso's 99 T1 car that's up for sale - you think Greg would give you a dyno reclass for a detuned LS6 in TTB?

Good to hear that it will have a trailer hitch!

it will indeed, made out of tungsten

non-BTM trailer hitch is +6 on the latest version of the rules that I have.

Good to hear that it will have a trailer hitch!

it will indeed, made out of tungsten

non-BTM trailer hitch is +6 on the latest version of the rules that I have.

Looks like a rear tow hook to me.

a Nissan 350Z is a decent TTB car...but it can't run with a C5...or M3...but still fun to drive and pretty cheap to operate

I run one in PTB today, and moving to Spec Z ASAP!