Rear View Mirrors

VaTechM3

So after my little incident, I have really been thinking hard about getting a different rearview mirror that shows more than just the parcel shelf and a slit of what is actually going on behind the car due to the front roof bar blocking most of the view.

I was given an wink 5 panel mirror from JFrank and haven't installed it yet, but wanted to know how anyone has theirs mirror installed, and what type they are running. This modification is high on my list before the March event to hopefully get some better vision of what is going on around the car.

Thanks!

• Members

the only time I use my rear view is on long straights to see what might be coming or what the gap is. my side view mirrors are everything to me.

I have these same ones...^^^. The rear view does take some getting used to as it makes things seem somewhat farther away.

I tried the 5 panel wink and it was pretty good with viewing full size, but I had issues with it vibrating too much due to it's length and plastic casing.

Thanks for the tip. From talking about my incident, it was apparent I didn't see any oncoming cars on the front straight, thus losing them coming out of T1 not expecting anyone to be there. Having also properly aimed side mirrors would also help in this situation. Looks like some adjustments are certainly in order.

the only time I use my rear view is on long straights to see what might be coming or what the gap is. my side view mirrors are everything to me.

You would be screwed with M3 mirrors then Im debating even taking them off cause they are so useless!

+1

I tried an Allview (I think that what it is), and due to the placement of the roll cage bar, and the gussets, I just could not get it over to the right far enough to be able to see behind my halo seat. So I just put the stock mirror back in.

But it is unnerving to glance up at it and see the WHOLE mirror full of car.

i put an allview in my car and my dads, they work well but i think with my cage a regular convex would be ideal because of have far back the windshield bar is. i stuck some large convex mirrors over my side view mirrors and they are awesome. the combination of them gives great overlap and makes me feel comfortable in traffic.

Right now I have one that sticks to my stock rear view that I got from autozone or something. It worked great before I had the cage, but now with the bar and padding, it blocks almost all of my rear view which kind of defeats the purpose. I'm going to try the wink and see if it is any better.

I had a huge problem when I went from the sparco evo I had to the first halo seat where I couldn't turn my head and check either blind spots. I was going off engine sound if there was someone next to me.

I bought the largest non convex broadway mirror I could find. Its enormous and great that I can see all around...I don't like convex mirrors or non-continuous mirrors. It just clips on to my mirror...the only downside is that on the straights it vibrates like crazy, but I basically watch my rear view mirror on all straights since we're so slow...even above 100mph when its vibrating like crazy, I can still see if a car is making a move on me, since I noticed him earlier...if that makes sense.

Its not the best, but it works.

I got the 18"? Longacre one. Very happy with it. But I agree with Jon, esp my left sidemirror is mostly used. I got a convex addon to it also.

That said, there will also be a factor of knowing or guessing where a car will be that you saw 5-15 secs ago. And the other cars to factor in whether you will expect them there or not. So incidents are bound to happen. Even if a mirror in your car shows a car, it's not always given you will have the eyes looking at it right then, because sometimes what happens in front will take all your attention.

I try sometimes to practice this "sense" in traffic. Look in the mirror and try to predict without necessarily making sure visually. And as a fun side note, when taking your license in Norway, you will fail if you don't glance in the rear view mirror every 10-15 secs