How many more years till nationals goes back to MMP??

Red Tornado

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• kbrew8991

• miwifri

• speedengineer

• 2 weeks later...
One vote for VIR!

road atlanta would be nice too

I think both tracks (VIR and RA) would be great, but are too far east for a national level event...but we can wish...

One vote for VIR!

road atlanta would be nice too

I think both tracks (VIR and RA) would be great, but are too far east for a national level event...but we can wish...

True, but Miller is a haul for most everyone too is it's not nearly as good a track as the east coast ones.

True, but Miller is a haul for most everyone too is it's not nearly as good a track as the east coast ones.

did you drive it, or just go by what you think it'd be like looking at it on paper? Not trying to attack, just curious

RAtl - will be a car eater for a National event. Look at how many experienced regional people write off cars there...

I'd tow to VIR though.

did you drive it, or just go by what you think it'd be like looking at it on paper? Not trying to attack, just curious

Nah - just a ton of miles. Fuel alone would put me out of the game, but a true East coast track would be the same for many others.

Too bad there's not an epic track like VIR or Rd Atl in the middle of the country. Is there?

I know Rd Atl is a pipe dream, but it'd be nice to have the home field advantage for a change.

i think it would be helpful and fair if the nationals are going to be an actual national championship that it move around as much as is practical. for two reasons.

1. anytime your haul is very long and increasingly expensive it taxes your racing effort.

2. mid ohio is a three or four times a year track for some people and a once a year at best track for others. that is a clear home track advantage.

3. mid ohio and say vir reward different kinds of driving style and car characteristics. a driver at the front at road atlanta or watkins glen might not be nearly as competitive at mid ohio or laguna seca.

the best of all possibilities is a track that we only race on once a year for the nationals where nobody gets an advantage. daytona comes to mind and would be perfect except for where it is geographically.

of course thats asking a lot and i am content as things are

RAtl - will be a car eater for a National event. Look at how many experienced regional people write off cars there..

This is a National Championship. It's supposed to be hard to win.

Road America is in the middle of Canada, sure...

Yep, I get it. It's a long way for you to pretty much anywhere we are going to have nationals in the next few years but Road America is still almost 300 miles closer to you than Miller and is almost exactly the same distance as Mid-Ohio (according to Google maps). It's significantly better for the West Coast racers and is still manageable for the east coast guys. It was just a thought.

Mike Fries

NASA NE

HC S2000

I would be game for Road America. The facilities are very nice there too!

I will say, there isn't one good track in the US that won't screw somebody over distance wise. The country is just too dang big! North-South wise, both Miller and Mid Ohio are smack dab in the middle, and they are each about 1/3rd of the way from their respective coasts. Choosing a track that is all the way near one cost or the other effectively deters anyone from the opposite coast from attending (Nobody wants to do 45 hours of driving). I can see why NASA officials have chosen Miller and Mid Ohio in the past.

do i remember correctly that the nasa nationals were a creation of the midwest/great lakes region? if thats the case, i'd be stunned if there was ever a nationals east of the mississippi anywhere else but midohio.

road atlanta would be great and completely different racing than mid ohio.

do i remember correctly that the nasa nationals were a creation of the midwest/great lakes region? if thats the case, i'd be stunned if there was ever a nationals east of the mississippi anywhere else but midohio.

road atlanta would be great and completely different racing than mid ohio.

I just checked and Road Atlanta is over 100 miles closer to LA than Mid-Ohio. Interesting.

Mike Fries

NASA NE

HC S2000

RAtl - will be a car eater for a National event. Look at how many experienced regional people write off cars there..

This is a National Championship. It's supposed to be hard to win.

With all the tracks we have in this country that are difficult to get right, reward great driving, yet don't punish the car with wall contact after a minor spin/off, I fail to see RAtls advantage besides the thrill factor. I love RAtl alot (did my first DE, first TT, comp school, first race, first enduro, etc there), but don't see it as a great choice for Nationals because of this factor.

Fries - Hmm, I guess because its more of a straight shot north from here it ends up a little closer. Regardless, still a two-day tow one way. I can handle that, would prefer a 1 day of course, but a 3 day puts me out automatically - I just don't have enough vacation time to make it work, and don't have the budget to pay for transporters or whatever.

One thing I don't like about RAm though is the type of car it tends to favor - one that isn't like mine (handling) vs other cars in its class (POWAH) but that's just my selfish side talking. RAtl is a bit more towards balanced at least, but still a bit on the power side though. This factor may affect the "balance of power" in certain classes and shake things up - could be a good thing, could be bad - depends on your perspective I guess.

i do the arrc every year. a national championship level race event. the carnage is not that great.

good drivers using their brains.

the frequency of rain at the mid ohio race seems to make for equal carnage to the walls at road atlanta.

It rains in GA too

Hell it has even rained at Miller during Nationals and that's in the middle of the desert

We just might be unlucky in that regard....

I just checked and Road Atlanta is over 100 miles closer to LA than Mid-Ohio. Interesting.

Mike Fries

NASA NE

HC S2000

Haha, it is closer actually! But to put it into perspective, that 100 miles on a 2300 mile drive - that's a long drive either way! It's 550 miles for them to Miller.