How many more years till nationals goes back to MMP??

Red Tornado

No perfect solutions. I'm like Ken, more than a two day drive is darn near a deal breaker. You probably won't see me at Miller anytime soon. I like the idea of rotating to more than two tracks like Rob says. More people get a shot at home course advantage, we see more great tracks and it spreads the pain of the long haul (or just not going).

How's that track in Austin coming?

Mike Fries

NASA NE

HC S2000

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• kbrew8991

• miwifri

• speedengineer

Austin is ahead of schedule to be ready for the USGP in Sept last I read /saw. Some in-fighting and legal battles with the promoters of the race, but nothing that affects contruction/progress of the track.

A well selected rotation schedule among 3-4 tracks would be even better than the 2-track rotation we have now nothing is 100% perfect, but that shouldn't stop us from trying

Austin is ahead of schedule to be ready for the USGP in Sept last I read /saw. Some in-fighting and legal battles with the promoters of the race, but nothing that affects contruction/progress of the track.

A well selected rotation schedule among 3-4 tracks would be even better than the 2-track rotation we have now nothing is 100% perfect, but that shouldn't stop us from trying

Something tells me there will be a significant premium to renting Austin in the short-mid term future

Nothing against the West Coast guys... but I would like to see the Nationals held on more than just two tracks throughout the country. Even though it would be great to see it come to Road Atlanta someday, but something else on the plate to use would be a nice addition. No one solution will work for everybody of course.

Heartland Park is about the most central track to everyone, but I have no idea how Nasa would feel about using it as the National Championship track.

Nothing against the West Coast guys... but I would like to see the Nationals held on more than just two tracks throughout the country. Even though it would be great to see it come to Road Atlanta someday, but something else on the plate to use would be a nice addition. No one solution will work for everybody of course.

Heartland Park is about the most central track to everyone, but I have no idea how Nasa would feel about using it as the National Championship track.

heard a lot of support in the paddock at nats for doing nats at each region's flagship track, even if it was a 10 yr rotation. I realize there are logistics to sort, but that sounded like a great idea to me.

heartland park just stinks. the scca runoffs nearly collapsed from going there. there are numerous major league road courses in the usa. a few are world famous. daytona, sebring, road atlanta, watkins glen, laguna seca, road america, and maybe midohio. yet they went to kansas.

getting a good september/october date is difficult already. for an event like this one, it requires a commitment.

i still think that midohio home region has a business claim on the nationals and moving them out of their for any significant period of time is unrealistic.

Road Atlanta is a special place. As is VIR. Its a shame that we cant race there for the championships, but thats also true of Daytona and Sebring.

edit: the flagship track for each region sounds great til you consider how many regions there are now and what some of those track are.

For the record, I didn't make the haul to MMP due to the fact it was "too far" and I felt it would be flat and boring.

However, I had the opportunity to go for the Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout to MMP and I can tell you this, I regret not racing there for our two National events. The track is technical, maybe not VIR or Road Atl technical but it does take some ability to get around there fast...unless you are Chris Griswold and have more power than Zeus, Hermes and Neo combined and then I could be fast too.

Not only that, on the flight home I had a chance to read "Driven", Larry H. Miller's biography. That gave me a new found respect for the place as well.

If we ever go back, I will bet your bottom dollar that not only will I make the trek from the east coast there but will gladly rent a car for the event if mine is not capable. Don't get me wrong, I would love VIR, Rd Atl or maybe even the Glen to host our National's but I think it is going to have to remain as a "centralized" venue for it to be successful for NASA.

Agreed, something near the middle will be favored most of the time but I would LOVE to have Nats at Watkins Glen.

Mike Fries

NASA NE

HC S2000

• Members

IMO, just gotta look at where the entries will be. There are just far more racers east of the Mississippi ....

If the fields are huge, people will come.

How much will fuel cost in September?

I filled up my diesel truck the other day...$118.

Filled up three 5 gallon fuel cans today...$108.

$8.75/gallon. 98 octane is cheaper than a motor.

"Ouch," scream my wallet!

For your viewing pleasure, I downloaded last years entry list and made a chart in Excel.

capturexk.png

Is the same data available for 2010 at Miller? It would be interesting to compare and see the local bias for participation in Utah (only two racers traveled from Utah to Ohio). It's obviously pretty heavy in Ohio.

Mike Fries

NASA NE

HC S2000

Is the same data available for 2010 at Miller? It would be interesting to compare and see the local bias for participation in Utah (only two racers traveled from Utah to Ohio). It's obviously pretty heavy in Ohio.

Mike Fries

NASA NE

HC S2000

I wanted to do that, but it isn't in the right format. 2011 was in a html table, with a column which just listed the state, so I could copy-paste into excel. I could only find the 2010 driver list as a post here in the forums, but it isn't in a table, and I didn't feel like manually entering 500 states. Now if we have a volunteer...!

Why not have a East Coast and a West Coast championship? I honestly don't have the time/money/desire to race on the west coast. I am sure that there are many West coasters that are in the same boat as me wanting to head east to race.

Why not have a East Coast and a West Coast championship? I honestly don't have the time/money/desire to race on the west coast. I am sure that there are many West coasters that are in the same boat as me wanting to head east to race.

Because it won't be a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.....unless the same driver wins in both places

Infineon raceway gets my vote...top notch facility, things to do in and around the location of the track, and weather is ideal during September... my next option would be Austin.

2 years at mid ohio

2 years at sears point

2 years at austin

2 years at VIR

repeat

I would certainly support that.

• Members
2 years at mid ohio

2 years at sears point

2 years at Road Atlanta

2 years at austin

2 years at VIR

2 years at NOLA

repeat

Enhanced version...

if half of all nationals dont have to be at midohio, then any of that works for me.

2 at MO

2 at Sears Point.

2 at VIR (rotating with Road Atlanta)

2 at Circuit of Americas(rotating with NOLA)

winner.

Of course once every decade at least at Daytona would be awesome