How many more years till nationals goes back to MMP??

Red Tornado

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• kbrew8991

• miwifri

• speedengineer

1 Vote for

Road America-MMP-Mid-Ohio-Austin-Road Atlanta-MMP

Rinse Repeat. Championships should move often IMO. MMP duplicated for fairness.

One thing is for sure. Road Atlanta would bring a TON of money and entrants and likely be the most competitive of all of the locations. How were the entrant numbers for MMP compared to Mid-Ohio? Seemed like they were softer? Road Atlanta would have zero problem selling out.

That being said a secondary event on the opposite side of the country that is NOT hosting the national championships, but a merge of regions full of people who don't want to make the haul to Nationals might not be a bad idea. If we are worried about such an event stealing too many people from Nationals, the right tracks are not being chosen for the event.

• 1 month later...

Main question isn't what we all want it's how NASA can make the most money.

With race fields looking down across the country and the challenge of booking a new track and cost of something like Austin to rent I would be surprised to see it anywhere but mid-ohio for a while.

Now if I can dream than yes Austin get's my vote.

Oh and MMP was awesome for my world challenge race. weird middle of nowhere but much better track than I thought.

weird middle of nowhere but much better track than I thought.

Can't that be said for most tracks? A major metropolitan city (Salt lake city) is less than 30 miles away from MMP. For other tracks across the country a major city is HOURS away. Nonetheless, MMP gets my vote if it can't be at Austin. I'd even be happier if it was at Sonoma (formerly Infineon) Raceway for a couple years!

sonoma would probably be fun. nasa norcal already has an annual september date there, do they not?

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone do any type of transport across the country? what are the costs on that. $100? $1000? $10,000?

Did anyone do any type of transport across the country? what are the costs on that. $100? $1000? $10,000?

From California, the going rate is about $2500 to mid-ohio

i think pantas rig took cars in the neighborhood of a grand, i think...

08 nats was 800 from his place to ohio and back, I think. I know gas and his prices have gone up since then.

Oh and MMP was awesome for my world challenge race. weird middle of nowhere but much better track than I thought.

Can't agree more after having driven MMP with the FRMCDS. Next time around, the trip is almost guaranteed for me.

I've always wanted to run at Road America... that would be a cool track to use in a National Championship rotation.

I've always wanted to run at Road America... that would be a cool track to use in a National Championship rotation.

Road Am is an amazing track and nice facility. I heard it is expensive and conflicts with that other amateur series having their runoffs there make it a no go for us.

I'm game for MMP. It's a 'fun' 22 hour haul, but the facility is incredible and the track is a blast.

j

the scca (see its not hard to say it) has the runoffs at road america the week

after the nationals. the weather is already touch and go up there by then.

... the weather is already touch and go up there by then.

Not true, the weather up there is superb in early September, average high of about 75 (perfect for racing!). Heck, it was in the mid 70's an sunny at the year end NASA event there last October. Probably true that they charge a bit more than Mid-Ohio does, as it is the most expensive event in the GL/MW regions. I'd pay for it though. Great facilities there, and a very good track.

i am just going on the weather that the runoffs have had since going there. some good days, but also days in the 40s with driving rain.

the scca (see its not hard to say it) has the runoffs at road america the week

after the nationals.

The 'conflicts' I mentioned weren't necessarily just the dates. Purely 3rd hand/rumor, but I understand there are political factors that come into play when scheduling Nats against runoffs and availability of some tracks.

As for weather, that far north is a toss up. Last year MW/GL had perfect weather to end the season, but they get snow in October too. As for 40's and rain in September, St Louis has had 50's and rain in September so anything is possible that time of year.

j

politics. you gotta do what you gotta do, i guess. road america is great. road atlanta, vir, sonoma. those all great. why not daytona?

when all is said and done MO and MMP are probably the only two tracks that see the event for the foreseeable future.

After watching Mike Skeen's WC race at MMP earlier this year, it looks like that track would be alot of fun to race on. If my car is together and doing well next year, I'm down to make the trip to MMP. I might have to carry an entire truck bed of trailer tires with me but I'll give it a shot at least.

Guess I better start saving my vacation days!

the same group that built Miller built the New Orleans track, and I hear it could be even better than MMP too. Southern track, so no weather issues in Sept. I need to see the place with my own two eyes, but from what I hear it could pull it off

Southern track, so no weather issues in Sept.

Unless you count rain and hurricanes as potential weather issues. Hurricane season is from 1 June to 30 Nov. Temps and humidity are ALWAYS factors in the south but don't affect the cars so much as the drivers.

the remnants of Hurricane Ike hit NASA Nationals when it was at Mid-Ohio in 2008. Hit it pretty hard too...

Nowhere is completely safe

That's true, Ken. But it didn't hit Ohio nearly as hard as it hit the Gulf states when it came in. We only had port-o-johns and fest tents that went down.

It hit pretty hard actually. We were driving home after the race and heard on the radio that "power was out in the tri-state area". We traveled well over 200 miles before we could find a gas station that still had electricity to pump gas. I thought we were going to have to get the spec miata out of the trailer to go find gas once the truck ran dry..