NCHC (NorCal Honda Challenge) group leader and concerns...

ghettoracer

i spoke to jerry k. about possibly stepping into the role of the group leader at the feb. infineon weekend. he was open to the idea and even said maybe i'm the right guy for the job. i'm studying up on the responsibilities of the leader as well as what the issues are for our region since clearly attendance is way down. i know some of it is just life taking over (wife, family, work, what ever), and some were politics from nationals. i have strong desire for NCHC the best that it can be for the simple fact that cars are my passion. honda are my passion...

here are my questions:

- are you currently planning to race in NCHC this season? if so, which class? full season or partial?

- are you interested about nationals or just local races? how about crossovers with nearby regions? what's the farthest track you are willing to travel to?

- do you think we should focus on NCHC only? meaning should we consider creating a local version of the rules? here's my thinking, some issues are pretty small, like side skirts. when ever you want to race nationals you can make your car comply to the national rule set. locally we don't care. how do you feel about having our own rules? or is that too complicated?

- what other rules do you think could be improved upon or clarify? please raise you voice now.

lets get all your concerns out now so i can talk to jerry k. about it all at once. personally i'm all for having our own rules (nothing too crazy, we'll use the current NCHC rules as guidelines and it'll be 95% the same) but making it really work for the local racers.

ps, don't mind the lack of proper punctuation and capitalization; when i type fast i don't like to worry about it. NC E30 group has 30+ cars... there's no reason HC isn't at 20+ here. some thing is wrong!

It is a bummer to see the once great norcal HC dead. As you pointed out, it was the result of an unfortunate intersection of personal reasons, totaled cars, and unhappiness with rules/rule makers. I hope you can slide into the role and bring HC back to norcal, but I highly discourage you from altering the HC rulset for local competition in norcal. I have my grievences with the rules, but they are the rules for better or worse. I would advise you to become part of HC and try and change the rules from the inside through the channels already available to you. NASA does not need another class. SE30 has 30+ cars because the rules are very stable, change costs money. It also helps that you can build a front running SE30 for $7500.

Go to the track, run a few races and get to know HC. I know there are still 4-5 guys that would run if people would just show up.

honestly i have no interest in the national HC rule making. that always gets political and to me it is a waste of time (on my part). in the past they have been very stubborn. and maybe it's because the rules have worked out for them.

my interest is going to serve the local racers so what ever the real demand is, that's what i think we should cater to. i see nothing wrong with making a local rule set where you spend most of your money/time. if and when a racer wants to go to nationals, he can make the car compliment. the side skirt issue for example, i think makes no sense that the PCI skirts are being banned. and it's a simple part to swap out for legality.

I agree, but that class is called PT. Many HC guys back east are enjoying relief from the rule circus by running there. ...I think you can even run side skirts... I do not think it is a good idea to try and create a special norcal HC class. In fact I doubt Jerry, Jeremy, and HPD will allow it to be official. If you want to re kindle HC in norcal, then make it HC, not HC gettoracer style.

If your goal is to escape the current HC politics of H2, HC offers 4 other classes that are more immune to the constant rule changes and conflict. H1 would be my choice. The years of great racing with andrie, graham, and brandon are some of my best memories of HC.

What Mike said. SpecE30 is very stable. The cost of my H2 car is equivalent to the cost of most of the mid-pack SpecE30's.

My biggest gripes are:

I also don't like it when people get DQ'd for having legal parts, and can't prove that they're legal because tech wont tell them what they're basing their decision on.

I also don't like it when being told "It's XYZ, you don't like it, you don't have to race." Fine, I'm not racing!

A rule should come out to fix/clarify a problem item that's been identified, not create a whole host of them. In regards to the HP limits, I was very vocally against them, all because we were told that these are the numbers, the rules committee came up with them, and that's the way it's going to be. No documentation, no explanation, nothing. I have over 500 dyno runs on 3 engines, and I know that the numbers that were used were not correct. Fine, I will never attend another national race.

Stop fucking with the rules, seriously, stop it!

As an example, the last "major" rules change that SpecE30 had was in 2010, which was still at the beginning of it's formation, so the rules needed some massaging to clarify grey areas. Almost all of the changes for the last 3 years were to clarify issues that were identified and fixed.

• 2010 changes -
http://www.spece30.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/SpecE30_v11_FINAL_vs_v10_1.pdf

2011 Changes - http://www.spece30.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/SpecE30_v12_vs_V11_compare.pdf

2012 Changes - "9.3.1.3.9. The fuel system vapor recovery charcoal canister and its associate hoses and brackets may be removed and/or plugged.

9.3.5.1.6. Water hoses that are connected to the throttle body may be plugged or removed.

9.3.13.31. The stock horn and its components may be removed."

Funny, I talked to Jerry last week and he said that he was considering me for the NorCal HC group leader deal. I told him I'd be willing to do it. If I have the priviledge, I would have no intention to change the rules, nor to make a local/regional subset of rules. Instead, my primary focus would be to get the Norcal car count back up and to ensure, for the current Norcal HC racers (ALL of which I know, and whom I raced with over the years) are having fun in the series and region they're racing in while being competitive.

I think Jonathan Meris should be the next leader.

He has bee associated with HC for a good number of years and knows 99% of the past & present drivers.

Having a good rapport with the people in the series is very important.

I hope we can rebuild this series to what it once was.

There were some super drivers out there, and now im disappointed its fallen so far.

We have some other issues out there that need to be worked on but changing the rules isnt one of them.

Funny, I talked to Jerry last week and he said that he was considering me for the NorCal HC group leader deal. I told him I'd be willing to do it. If I have the priviledge, I would have no intention to change the rules, nor to make a local/regional subset of rules. Instead, my primary focus would be to get the Norcal car count back up and to ensure, for the current Norcal HC racers (ALL of which I know, and whom I raced with over the years) are having fun in the series and region they're racing in while being competitive.

I'd suggest you over the majority of the NorCal HC competitors. While you and I haven't always seen eye to eye, but we were still able to have a good discourse when we had disagreements, and were able to see each others' sides. I'd prefer someone that races, and understands the various chassis, and engines that are present in current HC and doesn't see it as something to remake.

Frank - do you have a comp license? When was the last time you raced, much less in HC, was it that one time in...'07?

My vote goes to Meris. He has been very helpfull to me over the few years that I have been in HC. I think he would be a strong Voice in representing the Nor-cal HC. As far as the rules go I think they just need to be consistent so we don't have to change our cars every year. Nationals or regional.

I agree with Mike Lock, it is sad to see the state that Nor-Cal HC is in.I miss the days when Mike Quan was the HC leader, and we had large fields and lots of fun out there racing. To get back to those days I think we need new leader that (sorry Frank) has been around HC for a long time and knows all of the past and present HC racers. So my vote is also for Jonathan, I don't think there is anyone in Nor-Cal that has been more dedicated to HC and knows more about the rules then Jonathan.

As far as a local rule set goes, I want a stable rule set and so that from year to year we know what to expect, maybe on a local level all the racers could decide that some national rule is not in the best interest of getting larger fields to come out and they could decide to not enforce that rule as is done with the hp cap. But that is as far as I would want to go, and all would have to agree on it.

Being in So Cal I have really no say here. But no matter who you know or talk to, I think if GR was around the last X amount of years racing you could have pull and have a chance, but nobody is going to let you pop up and start taking control and making these "local" changes when there is guys dedicated and knowledgeable like Meris to take the position who has been here day to day. My $.02 FWIW

• Members

NorCal , SoCal , east coast , no matter where you need a person that has the passion and commitment to the series, can't come in saying you don't care about national level and there is going to be different rules for just your region .

H2 is a class where you should have a X chassis and a Y engine , do the swap and go racing. The rules as a package are good , do they need tweeting? Sure , one of the major points of discussion is the class of the engines.

Complaining on public forums and letting all the people in with their 5 cents is not going to help the cause.

You can't have rules for your region only, what if I decide to take a trip up north and race, rules are what binds together all the regions.

Meris understand what needs to be done. We don't need a huge change more like minute tweeks.

And please people , when you need to complain about something technical or rules do it here. Post your videos and answer all the moron questions in other forums, keep the house keeping in here only.

You can't have rules for your region only, what if I decide to take a trip up north and race, rules are what binds together all the regions.

excellent point because as under developed and uncompetitive as i sit now some crazy little differences would definitely detour me to go to another region and.... woohooo!!!! looking like about 10+ H2 for our March31 event here in AZ! most of us may be slow but im having FUN!!!

I think Jonathan Meris should be the next leader.

He has bee associated with HC for a good number of years and knows 99% of the past & present drivers.

Having a good rapport with the people in the series is very important.

...I would have no intention to change the rules, nor to make a local/regional subset of rules. Instead, my primary focus would be to get the Norcal car count back up and to ensure, for the current Norcal HC racers (ALL of which I know, and whom I raced with over the years) are having fun in the series and region they're racing in while being competitive.

I'd suggest you over the majority of the NorCal HC competitors. While you and I haven't always seen eye to eye, but we were still able to have a good discourse when we had disagreements, and were able to see each others' sides. I'd prefer someone that races, and understands the various chassis, and engines that are present in current HC and doesn't see it as something to remake.

My vote goes to Meris. He has been very helpfull to me over the few years that I have been in HC. I think he would be a strong Voice in representing the Nor-cal HC. As far as the rules go I think they just need to be consistent so we don't have to change our cars every year. Nationals or regional.
To get back to those days I think we need new leader that (sorry Frank) has been around HC for a long time and knows all of the past and present HC racers. So my vote is also for Jonathan, I don't think there is anyone in Nor-Cal that has been more dedicated to HC and knows more about the rules then Jonathan.
Being in So Cal I have really no say here. But no matter who you know or talk to, I think if GR was around the last X amount of years racing you could have pull and have a chance, but nobody is going to let you pop up and start taking control and making these "local" changes when there is guys dedicated and knowledgeable like Meris to take the position who has been here day to day. My $.02 FWIW
Meris understands what needs to be done. We don't need a huge change more like minute tweeks.

Guys-thanks for the support and vote of confidence! Hopefully, Jerry sees the importance of having a nor cal HC group leader and appoints one soon. Until then, I'll gladly handle the responsibilities of one. I'm planning on being at all the Nor Cal events coordinating things for the Nor Cal HC folks. Also, I'm brainstorming ways (and physically helping) the current Nor cal HC racers back on track while talking to potential new Nor cal HC racers that already have built cars, or are close to completing their cars as well as their licenses.

Hopefully, at each event, we can get more and more HC racers back!

looking like about 10+ H2 for our March31 event here in AZ! most of us may be slow but im having FUN!!!
I hear there's a new 4-door civic (with a florescent roof) down there with a K20a3! Can't wait to hear how that new AZ HC racer does!

looking like about 10+ H2 for our March31 event here in AZ! most of us may be slow but im having FUN!!!
I hear there's a new 4-door civic (with a florescent roof) down there with a K20a3! Can't wait to hear how that new AZ HC racer does!

hes a great driver and now with a dialed car. glad to see mike in on the HC craze! more the merrier!!!

jmer gets my vote too. last i checked i have no issues with any NCHC racers because, most of you don't know me at all. some of you might think you do, but you have no idea...

no surprises there. i mean, i have my own definition in the urban dictionary after all... i also made top 10 on jalopnik's top 10 automotive .gif as well just last week. heh.

NorCal , SoCal , east coast , no matter where you need a person that has the passion and commitment to the series, can't come in saying you don't care about national level and there is going to be different rules for just your region .

H2 is a class where you should have a X chassis and a Y engine , do the swap and go racing. The rules as a package are good , do they need tweeting? Sure , one of the major points of discussion is the class of the engines.

Complaining on public forums and letting all the people in with their 5 cents is not going to help the cause.

Meris understand what needs to be done. We don't need a huge change more like minute tweeks.

And please people , when you need to complain about something technical or rules do it here. Post your videos and answer all the moron questions in other forums, keep the house keeping in here only.

for something as trivial as side shirt, which can be replaced in 10 minutes, i would argue it's no harm to have local rules. (assuming other racers want the same). i was only making a point. i'm not pushing for rule independence, what i'm really pushing for is common sense.