hpde and head/neck restraints

aaronsti

It is never to early to think about safety. However, it was one of the last things I did. If you do not have full harnesses, then your only option are the Safety Solution (Simpson) versions that are self supportive and strap to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a DE event at CMP this weekend and my instructor wore and recommended one of these:

helmetsupports.gif

He said it is a safety device and helps with neck fatigue. I don't see many folks wearing these at all. Any thoughts on why I might need or want one?

I remember putting off buying a Hans because "it was too expensive". Fact is now that I can't believe I ran on track for 2 years without one. Yeah it was expensive, but once the commitment was made to buy it and the money was spent, it was no big deal - it was more of a mental thing than anything. Things can happen in the blink of an eye. It's not worth the risk to run without one.

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/forumid/24/threadid/425669/scope/posts

I bought one after my 4th HPDE events and I knew I was going to keep tracking the car. While there are not a lot of people in HPDE with them, at least that I've notice, there are more than you think that do use them. Keep in mind for the Hans, it only works with a 5 or 6 point harness system.

I did a DE event at CMP this weekend and my instructor wore and recommended one of these:

helmetsupports.gif

He said it is a safety device and helps with neck fatigue. I don't see many folks wearing these at all. Any thoughts on why I might need or want one?

Heavy Helmet, plus head, plus lots of work keeping head straight = neck fatigue

When I wore my helmet for hours my neck would hurt, I bought one of these and wore it.

It helped with the neck fatigue, my new helmet is lighter and I don't get the fatigue anymore so I don't wear it.

It is not a substitute for a HANS.

foam collars aren't going to do alot in an impact

a real Head/Neck restraint will. Do some research, there are alot of options out there besides HANS each with upsides & downsides. Pick what makes the most sense with the rest of your seat/harness/cage/car/egress-path setups.

i have a 4 point harness that meets the ccr rules. should i get the safety solutions pro rage, or should i get the necksgen restraint

i have a 4 point harness that meets the ccr rules. should i get the safety solutions pro rage, or should i get the necksgen restraint

Certain 4 point harness are allowed if they meet the CCR. Although I think that NASA discourages their use. The other part of your post. You are the one wearing it so you need to pick what is most comfortable for you.

• 1 month later...

helmetsupports.gif

I had thought about getting one of these, but I am so tight in my car my helmet doesn't have far to move. My helmet is light so it does not fatigue me. If I roll the car a foam ring is not going to keep my fat arse from breaking my neck anyway.

I got the Hybrid Pro from US Racegear (after 3 events) and love it. Two things I want from the track to enjoy myself and be as safe as possible. When you think about the one time investment to help save your life 700 to 1000 bucks seams nominal.

If you only have the OEM seat belt then you need to look at H&NR that are anchored to the body and do not depend entirely on a harness to hold them on. I wear a R3 that will work with the OEM belts. It has paid for itself already.

• 2 weeks later...

When you decide you are committed to track events, you will want to consider adding proper seats, harnesses and a minimum of a roll bar, and budget for an SFI 38.1 head and neck restraint. HANS, Hybrid Pro, R3, Neckgen (formerly Defnder) are all good systems and have been tested and all have their own pros and cons. If you have the opportunity to try them on, then do so.

I see people using the R3 with a standard 3 point seat belt, but no data has ever been released by the manufacturer showing that it was tested using stock seat belt so keep that in mind.

I bought my DefNder from OG Racing and love it. My dad got one too. Fewer things are as reassuring as sitting in the paddock, ready to go out, and lightly bobbing your head to take up the slack in the tethers.

I got mine because I never really read of fires or major problems with cabin structure injuries in HPDE; most injuries seemed to be head and neck related.

I can't say enough about proper safety equipment. Anything can happen while on track and safety equipment is never something you should skimp on. I bought a HANS a couple of years ago and put it to the test 3 weeks ago at Roebling Road. I hit the wall nearly head-on at almost 100 mph. I walked away without a scratch. If I hadn't been wearing a HANS I'm not sure I'd be typing this.

IMG_0125.jpg