Driving in the rain = water in car.

n80

I've got a DE event coming up this weekend and they are calling for isolated showers so we may be driving in the rain a bit. The driver's and passenger windows have to stay open. I'll be driving my DD which isn't expensive or fancy (used 07 350Z) but the interior is in good condition.

My question is this: what can be done to minimize damage/odors from water in the car? Are there things you can do between runs? What do you do after the event?

Thanks for any input.

Airflow will keep most of the water out of the car. Keep the windows up while on grid then put them down going on track. Towel up the rest.

All cars are different. Some get drenched inside and others don't get much at all.

If pulling the carpets isn't that big of a deal, it might be worth doing.

As others have stated, it really won't get as wet as you think. keep the windows up until you get up to speed on track, and put them back up right before pitting.

If you're getting too much in when up to speed, play with the windows a bit by raising them a few inches. Sometimes this can redirect airflow to reduce the amount of water coming in, or it can increase it, so try it and see.

Oh, and keep it on track!! Don't go 100% in the rain, with windows down and a car with interior you value. Going 4 wheels off in the rain, with windows down, will cause quite the mess inside. Not only water, but mud will make it's way onto just about every interior piece, including the headliner! Ask me how I know, LOL!

and you may find that the track / club will back off on the windows down thing if it's really pouring out there.

barring that, have some towels ready

Going 4 wheels off in the rain, with windows down, will cause quite the mess inside. Not only water, but mud will make it's way onto just about every interior piece, including the headliner!

I had not thought about that. I guess if I ruin the interior there wouldn't be much reason not to put a cage in it at that point.

and you may find that the track / club will back off on the windows down thing if it's really pouring out there.

That would be nice.

I never asked about the reason for keeping the windows down. I'm assuming it is for quick exit in case of fire + jammed door or quick access for emergency crew. I would think it would be easy for emergency crew to break the window but might be tough for the driver to get out if the door won't open and the car is on fire.

That's part of it, but a large benefit to having the windows down is being able to hear what's going on. With you car, other cars, brakes, tires, pavement surface, etc...

The main reason for keeping the windows down is so you can POINT someone by. Kind of hard to do if your window is up.

As much as I have to do that I can't believe I forgot about the point by.

too easy to accidentally hit the turn signal in alot of cars - plus a point-by is a very delibarate motion, no mistaking that one

I've heard of turn signals being used when you're allowed to run windows-up when the rain is really bad though

• 3 weeks later...

Shop vac- to pull water out of upholstery, if you vaccum out the water after each run it never has time to really set and mildew. Other than that, febreze anti bacterial and " ozium" for any left over smells

Going 4 wheels off in the rain, with windows down, will cause quite the mess inside. Not only water, but mud will make it's way onto just about every interior piece, including the headliner!

I had not thought about that. I guess if I ruin the interior there wouldn't be much reason not to put a cage in it at that point.

Now your thinking like a racer .