Learn me about building an H2/STL '91 Civic Si

mcolangelo2005

Well, I just picked up a clean, fairly fresh '91 Civic Si ITA/H4 car. I want to turn it into a car that can run in the NASA H2 and SCCA STL classes. For STL class weight reasons, I want to go with a B16A2/3 motor. The motor will be internally stock. The car currently has Koni 8041-RACE dampers and GC coil overs. Spring rates are 450/650 fr/rr. Stock front sway, ST 7/8" rear sway.

What mods to the car do you guys recommend?

Stock B16 transmission (Y21) or something else?

Any particular Honda brake setup (currently has drums in the rear)?

Any suspension mods such as using different knuckles, etc.?

How about clutch and final drive? I can see this car racing at tracks such as Portland, Pacific, ORP, The Ridge, and Thunderhill (my NASA races would be at T-Hill).

Anything else?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm at the steep part of the learning curve right now

I would bump up the front spring rates a tad to compensate for the heavier motor. You may also want to bump the rear spring rates up a bit depending on driver preference.

Drums in rear are lighter but also contribute to the long pedal feel after just a few laps. Different knuckles will mean different geometry. You should get the Civic EX knuckles as they allow for the installation of larger stock brake components, and do not change the suspension geometry.

There may be a stronger/desired B series trans, but I wouldn't know about that. Sorry. Depending on your tracks, you may want an LSD and a different final drive gear.

Having the Koni's rebuilt to "double adjustable" is expensive but may be worth it. At the very least, you should look into having them re-valved for your spring rate/application.

There are a couple choices of stock front sway bars that you can use....

If you are going to switch to rear disk, I would source the RTA's from a crx, not the Integra. I've heard that the Integra RTA's will add rear track width?

Like stated above, you should upgrade to 90-91 Honda Civic 4-door front knuckles. They use the 10.3" brake setup and it is easier to swap to the 11" brake setup. Also another option would be to purchase the Fastbrakes 11" upgrade for your knuckles. http://www.fastbrakes.com/product_p/civ11oem%20partial.htm

As far as the gearbox goes, my *guess* is you have the small spline B16 gearbox. You'll want to upgrade to the large spline gearbox for three reasons: 1) the large spline gearbox can accept hydraulic internal components (such as 94-01 Integra, 99-00 Si, etc) so that you can swap in OEM ITR LSD and 4.785 FD 2) replacement parts are way eaiser to source and 3) the clutch setup is a bit larger and more common. The large spline gearbox came in 92-93 Integras. Any of the models of Integras will work. Ideally you'll want a GSR gearbox since it has the best gearing already but if you get an LS gearbox you can swap in any hydraulic gearbox "guts" for better gearing.

Ideally you'll want a GSR gearbox since it has the best gearing already but if you get an LS gearbox you can swap in any hydraulic gearbox "guts" for better gearing.

Yes, as far as OEM gearing is concerned: The JDM 96-97 Integra Type R (S80) and the '97-'01 USDM Integra Type R (S80), '96-'98 JDM Civic Type R (S4C) and '99-'00 Civic SI (S4C), '93-'95 JDM SIR II (Y21) and '94-'97 Del Sol VTEC (Y21)- ALL have the same 1-5 gear ratios-which has the BEST gearing of ALL B-Series trannies. The only exception would be from the rare '92-'93 GSR cable trans (YS1)-its 5th gear is slightly shorter (.870 vs. .849) than the aforemention trannies above-which means a shorter shift from 4th to 5th gear and slightly slightly better acceleration in 5th gear from the '92-'93 GSR 5th gear.

Just fyi, running the hydro trannies in the EF's (88-91 Civic & CRX's) is possible with the Hasport cable-to-hydro conversion kit.

With that said I have TWO B-Series trannies for sale:

Trans #1: (used for 6 race weekends)

JDM Y21 SIR II Transmission

(same 1-5 ratios are Type R)

GEAR X 4.92 Final Drive

Gearspeed Carbon Synchros

CUSCO (clutch type) LSD

Trans #2: (used for only 1 race weekend)

JDM '96 Integra Type R transmission

Gear X STRAIGHT CUT 4.92 Final Drive

SynchroTech 1-5 Carbon Synchros

OS Giken SuperLock LSD

if anyone is interested, let me know!

JMeris

Trans #1: (used for 6 race weekends)

JDM Y21 SIR II Transmission

(same 1-5 ratios are Type R)

GEAR X 4.92 Final Drive

Gearspeed Carbon Synchros

CUSCO (clutch type) LSD

Trans #2: (used for only 1 race weekend)

JDM '96 Integra Type R transmission

Gear X STRAIGHT CUT 4.92 Final Drive

SynchroTech 1-5 Carbon Synchros

OS Giken SuperLock LSD

if anyone is interested, let me know!

JMeris

WOW! Either one of these would be GREAT!

PS - I <3 my SynchroTech Carbon Synchros and cable GSR 5th

Thanks for the info, guys. Good stuff.

So where's a good place to source strong class-legal B16 engines? Is there a shop that builds Honda motors like the Spec Miata folks have with Race Engineering or Rossini?

Or maybe I should just try to find one at HMotorsonline or the local Pull-A-Part?

Thanks for the info, guys. Good stuff.

So where's a good place to source strong class-legal B16 engines? Is there a shop that builds Honda motors like the Spec Miata folks have with Race Engineering or Rossini?

Or maybe I should just try to find one at HMotorsonline or the local Pull-A-Part?

I'd say I build strong class-legal B16 engines. Not only that, but national championship winning engines! Just ask around, they'll tell 'ya And while you're at it, also ask what was the catalyst for having the H2 national championship HP cap rule

In all seriousness, I'm in nor cal and build winning, strong, reliable, legal Honda Challenge engines. email or pm me and we can discuss what you may be looking for. Even if you decide NOT to have me build an engine for you, I'll still offer some suggestions

jmeris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...