You can almost hear crickets...

Red Tornado

I take it as motivation...

to get the F off the computer and go work on my race car.

Because that must be what everyone else is doing!

i'll admit a little surprised that wil and landon ran consistant 1:35's at road atlanta with the new rules package and nobody has noticed and commented one way or the other. personally i was rather stunned.

I wasn't.Look at the times put down in December they're 4/10ths quicker.Now we get more hp and less weight.Hoosiers to Toyo's in a 40 minute race doesn't make that much difference.I ran my best time 137.4 in a car that wouldn't turn for $hit.I know there's a couple more seconds in it when I can get it to turn.

Robert

well...that would make for an interesting conversation. toyos are no disadvantage against hoosiers and so forth.

how much of an advantage was ABS supposed to be again?

In the rain I think the new abs is an advantage in the dry not as much.Removing the abs from my car was the best thing I did.The new rules give me an excuse to ditch it plus got afew more hp and alittle less weight.

With the tire change I think you can beat up a toyo more and it comes back quicker than a hoosier.From running TT for two years we alway's ran faster on hoosier by far than toyo's but we never ran as many laps.That's why it's seems there is less advantage on the long runs.

Robert

i agree that the hp changes makes keeping the ABS a silly move.

i disagree that toyos are not a racing disadvantage to sticky tires.

what i have to deal with is that i need to spend $2k-$3k to get the wing/splitter

i need to keep up.

i agree that the hp changes makes keeping the ABS a silly move.

what i have to deal with is that i need to spend $2k-$3k to get the wing/splitter

i need to keep up.

You don't have to spend $2-3K for aero. I've got a $200 used nascar wing on my car. I made my splitter for under $300. They can be made cheaper than mine too. Landons is 1/4" plywood and works just as well as my carbon one. 3/8" ABS sheet seems to work well for splitters too.

Keep an eye on ebay for used wings. They're out there.

landon has the $2k g stream wing on his car. the splitter is not an issue. but the wing i need.

give me a some more seat time in the new ride and i will at least be in your way soon enough, though.

Too busy doing fab work. Thanks to the new rules package, I have to find 160lbs to lose. 20lbs down, 140lbs to go.

Anyone got a good source for titanium or a free LS1?

With slicks yes but with the R6 with a couple of heat cycles not so much.

Robert

Too busy doing fab work. Thanks to the new rules package, I have to find 160lbs to lose. 20lbs down, 140lbs to go.

LS1 that thing TJ, you can double dip, more HP and 70lb of that wieght your looking for

LS1 that thing TJ, you can double dip, more HP and 70lb of that wieght your looking for

Or a 5.3L aluminum truck motor...

Will be curious how other regions run. My AI record was suppose to be this insane almost impossible crazy feat and two folks beat it by over 1/2 a second (yes same toyo tires). Will be curious as season comes along how new rules play out.

No taking anything away from anyone but I still think ABS is immaterial benefit in dry when runnning these toyo's but hey lets see how it plays.

Like I said will be interesting mid season if S197 cars come back to run after tires used or not...

Personally enjoying running AIX and not worrying about tires or rules at all. Nice to finally let the beast run..

Oh and tested AI restrictor and unrestricted 40rwhp increase. 1 - 1.2 seconds difference. So figure tires and power should have me running my old AI times s my guess is 1/2 second or so off new pace.. But would love to test and be totally open if someone wants to truly compare tires and AI w new car ability. Dont have ford race abs but still should be good test.

my new car rolled of the transporter at 9.15 to 1. maybe i dont use the abs the right way, but i dont engage it unless i have an emergency. meaning it doesnt happen on a good lap. i am on the new goodyears and the tires i ran at road atlanta were heat cycled on friday.

it was a new car to me and i still have some time left in it, but i really didnt expect to have the two camaros go from hoosier to toyo from december to march and put another second or second and a half on me. i was also surprised to see that wil was only 1.5 seconds off chris's unrestricted times on sticky tires.

i think this will be very interesting to see how this all evolves.

Or a 5.3L aluminum truck motor...

The car is too light for stock 5.3L. I'm still trying to figure out how to choke one down enough and get it to turn the RPM I want without spending a fortune.

my new car rolled of the transporter at 9.15 to 1. maybe i dont use the abs the right way, but i dont engage it unless i have an emergency. meaning it doesnt happen on a good lap. i am on the new goodyears and the tires i ran at road atlanta were heat cycled on friday.

it was a new car to me and i still have some time left in it, but i really didnt expect to have the two camaros go from hoosier to toyo from december to march and put another second or second and a half on me. i was also surprised to see that wil was only 1.5 seconds off chris's unrestricted times on sticky tires.

Almost no one, especially at this level, runs an entire race of good laps. ABS is there to save you when you don't.

As far as the Camaros, it's silly to think that the off-season went by and no one did any upgrades or R&D.

30lbs off, 130lbs to go...

tj...ive run two races on the new car. i havent engaged the abs yet. like i said, maybe i am not using it correctly. maybe i'd be getting lapped if i didnt have it.

i think what we will find is that steve poe's pov that the non abs bump overshot the mark enough as to make the hp the ticket and effectively kill abs. maybe that was the point.

good luck on your 130lbs. i hear a protein based diet can help there.

In the MidAtlantic region, Chris Cobetto set a new lap record at VIR at our Feb event. He drives a S197 w/ FR-ABS, and was running old Toyos after racing all last year on the R6. I don't think he made any changes to the car during the break.

Me on the other hand, I tweaked things all winter (88 fox body w/o ABS). Still couldn't get close to Cobetto.

Last year we (those who stayed on RA1's) blamed it on the tires... This year we (I) don't have that excuse.

I'm going to say the quality of the driver has 99% to do with the race results, and records falling....

Congrats to those who got it done

chris is running a professional level program with high level research and developement. i am not surprised by anything they might accomplish. my understanding was that the hp to weight bump for the non abs cars was to allow them to catchup to the abs car and eliminate that advantage. was that the wrong impression? was the hp to weight change supposed to be enough to effectively make the abs uncompetitive?

Agree completely with your assessment of the Cobetto/Performance Autosport Team. PAS dyno'ed my car 2 weeks before the Feb event, Cobetto's car was sitting in the corner under a nice layer of dust. They said it hadn't been touched since last year, didn't know if the car would be ready for VIR due to a wiring harness issue. So when they said it hadn't been touched (setup wise), I believe them. Cobetto is a hell of a driver, was the rabbit out front most of last year. He's not the only fast guy in the MA region either. It's up to me to catch him/them. I like seeing his name on the driver list, means you better be on your game if you want to challenge.

The ABS/HP adjustment was just a shot in the dark, an attempt to level the field a bit, and lessen the "bitchin' factor" from those of us w/o ABS. I think it was a good thing, and I'm not complaining about the current rules at all. I think it was a move in the right direction, a great compromise, and look forward to how the rest of the year works out. The rules aren't set in stone, so I think mgmt will revisit the HP allowance after this year. Those camaro guys in the SE, they drove their a$$es off. If non-abs cars win the top spots in nationals, then maybe the rules went to far. In my case I know the deficiency lies with who's in the drivers seat. Only when I'm a good enough driver to consistently put my car up front can I weigh in on the rules....

one race weekend. one track. maybe it shakes out differently as the season settles in and colder weather regions start to put some lap times down. we will see. its what makes it fun, right?

Robert Miller was just a tenth or two of the track record at CMP last month in his Coyote powered 98 Cobra. He was dialed in and the Camaro's couldn't keep up. The competition in the SE has elevated things to an awesome level. It's great to see these guys out there trying to top each other! Each building what they have to the new rules package.

It will be interesting to see what transpires at Roebling next month...Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger!

John

While the extra power (or weight loss in my case) never hurts, it is not the only reason my car is faster this year. I worked my butt off over the off season and did a complete overhaul of the car. Last year was the Camaro's (and my) first year of racing. The car (and driver )had lots of flaws, many of which were addressed during the season, and some of which had to wait for winter. During the off season some pretty big changes were made to the car, and I did not even get to it all...

Point being - the non-ABS HP/weight boost helps, but it's not the only thing making us faster this year.

Robert Miller was just a tenth or two of the track record at CMP last month in his Coyote powered 98 Cobra. He was dialed in and the Camaro's couldn't keep up. The competition in the SE has elevated things to an awesome level. It's great to see these guys out there trying to top each other! Each building what they have to the new rules package.

It will be interesting to see what transpires at Roebling next month...Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger!

John

No doubt! Robert was on rails on Sunday!