interesting thread on bimmerforums.com

beaner

Great thread. I tried to get an log-on so I could add to the discussion but so far nothing. Maybe I needed to claim a BMW in my garage

What I love about what's posted there is that it pretty much sums up what I love about GTS. Even though it initially went through a discussion of how people with piles of money could control it all, pretty soon the talk evolved into theory. Which is more important? Power? Aero? Brakes? Low weight/low hp? High horsepower/high weight? Driver skills above all?

The thing that's so interesting about this series is that you can build a car which follows your particular philosphy and then test it against cars built by others against their own philosophies.

I, for instance, am a light weight/lower power/lots of aero kind of guy. I'm GTS car-less right now but what I keep thinking about building is a topless fly-weight Porsche 914/6 with less than 200 horsepower and a big GOODAero wing for GTS4. You can be sure there's somebody else out there thinking the hot tip would be a new 911 Cup Car with a ton of ballast so that it fits into the same power to weight ratio.

Which of us is right? That, as they say, is why they run the races. This ability to work on your car, to improve it as you can afford and see fit is, to me, what makes GTS, GTS.

(But I'm right. Lighter wins.)

I started that thread, and it stemmed from the thread we have hear about attracting more GTS drivers. It isn't always about the checkbook with GTS, it's also about creative thinking, and trying something that hasn't been done (like Scott's crazy 914 idea!).

Granted, laptimes in all classes have decreased over the last few years, and with faster laptimes comes the budget creep to try and keep up.

Personally I'm kind of bummed this year, since the regional GTS-4 numbers are looking low. I'm hoping I can find a way to run in other classes (GTS or ST), and always have someone to race. The new Hoosier contingency also disappointed a lot of people, but it was too good to last forever...

MaxxFish - What's your data point indicating GTS4 will be down? ...early last year it was a little light in April. I think 4 or 5 cars. ...but in July and Aug there were 10.

If someone was worried about whether either GTS3 or GTS4 had enough cars in a given week-end, he/she could buy my M3 (see the "1997 M3 widebody" thread) and then pick GTS3 (full cell, lower of the two existing tunes) or GTS4 (8 gallons of fuel and the higher of the two existing tunes) as needed. And then fill the cell, switch over to the higher tune, and go run the 25-hour...

Just sayin'.

MaxxFish - What's your data point indicating GTS4 will be down? ...early last year it was a little light in April. I think 4 or 5 cars. ...but in July and Aug there were 10.

Joe, sorry to be unclear, this is the Mid-Atlantic region that I'm talking about. Hoping it changes for the better!

Another big problem recently is the down economy. I know we've seen lower numbers across all fields here in the SE. Its halted my build and forced me to try and sell my stake in another car.

• Members

Many GTS4s are not legal in ST2 due to the cage penetrating the firewall, etc., meanwhile, if you fit the bimmer's roundel on the Vett's hood - it may work well for GTS4.

Michael G.

NE GTS Dir.

Why are cage bars through the firewall ok in GTS4, but not in ST? Seems like a poor reason for not allowing the cars to play together.

Roll cage extension through the firewall is generally allowed in the GTS rules (additional rollcage bracing and construction) and specifically allowed in the ST rules. GTS and ST classes are very much interchangable.

Gotcha... I thought that was STR only. I guess it's PT that can't have the bars through the firewall. I know when I had my cage done we didn't do it.

Roll cage extension through the firewall is generally allowed in the GTS rules (additional rollcage bracing and construction) and specifically allowed in the ST rules. GTS and ST classes are very much interchangable.

Chris - I'd read through the rules again. A lot of the higher end GTS4/5 cars don't cross over that well. Many have side exit exhaust, modified floor pan or subframe, Cup cars get a penalty.

Now if everybody is running STR on a specific weekend than it's a different story.