6 speed clarification question

Marcel D.

it is commonly known in autox that extra shifting doesn't always produce faster lap times. for example lot of noobie ax'ers like to down shift to 2nd while an experienced guy will just leave it in 3rd and let it pull through the rev. by being able to get on the gas early and let the momentum do the work you'd be surprised at how effective the 5 speed is over 6 speed. extra up/down shifts waste time and additional risk for mis-shifting increases. this doesn't concern me much but i would vote for 50 lbs to be removed.

In relations to the data that JimmyC is commenting on, while driving on Thunderhill Raceway, Bob told me that it accounted for something like an additional 12-15 shifts for the 6 speed over the 5 speed. I was led to believe that similar data was found for Sears Point. While being able to get into the "sweet spot" for certain corners, the advantage was lost due to the requirement of the additional shifting throughout the course.

To lazy, and have no real idea where the videos are...

But I remember watching in car from Bob and me, and the amount of shifts he does compared to me was nuts (esp at sears point).

But it's not surprising the RC didn't/doesn't listen to any data of this nature.

There was a similar situation with another 2 H2 motors, and people(person maybe only one was really vocal about it), where the belief/stance they took was that the shortest geared transmission is always the best option, and always fast. No matter the power band of the motor.

I don't think some simulation is going to sway any decision, we need rock hard evidence from a video and a data logger with the same car/driver/hp/chassis using both transmissions.

Any volunteers?

• 2 weeks later...

I like the 50 pounds for the six speed for the following reason. One can have a six speed with shorter overall gearing first through fith and still have a taller overall sixth gear than a five speed. This only seems to make a difference to me on our standing starts. I believe the extra weight might slow down the six speeds enough in qualifing to make up for the two or more positions they can make up on the start. I doubt the extra weight makes enough of a difference in the race to alter finishing position at our level of racing. So as long as we have standing starts, I support the extra weight.

Also, I agree that shorter final drive equals faster lap times 95% of the time.

And if anyone has a ITR transmission with a 4.9 or shorter final drive with a clutch type diff and stock gears for sale for a good price, let me know.

And if anyone has a ITR transmission with a 4.9 or shorter final drive with a clutch type diff and stock gears for sale for a good price, let me know.

I DO!! pm me for details phone #