Let's say you're going to compete in TTC-TTA, which car?

docwyte

My friend is currently waving a stack of cash under my nose to buy my LS1 converted Porsche 944. That leaves me with the problem of replacing it if I take his offer.

I'd like to compete in TTB/TTA, maybe TTC with an E36 M3.

Are the C5 vette's the car to have in TTB/TTA? What about the boost buggies like the STI's and Evo's? Are they reliable?

I need to drive the car to the track, as I don't have a truck or trailer to tow it, so the car needs to stay streetable/licensed and somewhat comfortable with A/C, radio, etc.

Thoughts?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Rob S.

• drivinhardz06

• speedengineer

TTA: It's hard to argue with the C5 Mafia.

TTB: A 100% bone stock C5 with only 255mm Hoosier A6s won the Championships at Mid-Ohio last September. This is probably as cheap as it gets, although the body roll was epic.

If it helps, take the cost of engine replacement into consideration. You can probably find a used LSx for quite a bit cheaper than a Scooby flat 4. Plus, you have already tinkered with an LS1 engine, so it's not like you will have to learn about something new. Check prices for consumables (pads, rotors, wheel bearings, etc.) as well.

Just my 2 cents...

Mark

C5 Corvette or 00-05 Honda S2000

An M3, STI, or EVO will all also be very competative.

The driver mod allways has a little to with it and what class you decide you want to run in. (AorB)

There is a at least one TTB C5 car newly built for the class running 245 tires (and no body roll) that will be interesting to watch compete. I think it will be class defining.

E46 M3 will be a fierce TTB car also.

Wish I could magically squeak another 35whp out of my 4cyl. If so I think I could give the TTB C5 a run for it's money at Mid-OH. Given I can't I would say the top runners would be:

TTA: C5 Z06

TTB: C5 base

TTC: S2000 or E36 M3

Don't forget about the Mini Cooper for TTC.

What...SRSLY

Did you see what Cattaneo did in PTC at Mid-O?

She ran a 38:3 in PTC and a 38.0 in TTC, which was DQ'd for not having 5 TT qualifying events. In TTC, DJ ran a 36.9 (1st) and Aaron ran a 37.3 (2nd). If her time wasn't DQ'd she would have been 5th out of seven. My bet is still on the S2000 or E36 M3.

Don't forget about the Mini Cooper for TTC.

What...SRSLY

Did you see what Cattaneo did in PTC at Mid-O?

I heard in another forum thread a couple days ago that her car was down maybe 50 hp at nats. Dunno how true it is, but perhaps she could have been even faster...

from s2ki

Just talked To Sarah's engine builder. Sarah's car overheated the week before in testing, They had to put a stock head and cam on it and they never retuned it. So it was down 50 or so HP when it ran at NASA Nationals.

I was working PT/TT tech at the 2011 Championships, and I was at the dyno when Sarah's car was being tested on Sunday afternoon. I don't recall the exact numbers that it made, but I do remember that the car could have made a lot more power to reach the weight/power ratio limit of PTC.

Mark

My humble opinions. And every car I've listed has mounted up wins in it's respective classes - most at Nats but not all had the right build (or right driver/car) at the right time.

TTC: S2000 or BMW E36

TTB: BMW E46 or CT9A Evo

TTA: C5 Z06

I think a 2002-03 Subaru WRX could be a very strong TTC car if build right. With mine, I'm about 1.5 secs away from the TTD track record at CMP (on street tires). I'll be shooting for the record in May (hopefully).

I talked to Dan Walters some time ago about the WRX and he feels the same just as long as it's done right.

I think a 2002-03 Subaru WRX could be a very strong TTC car if build right. With mine, I'm about 1.5 secs away from the TTD track record at CMP (on street tires). I'll be shooting for the record in May (hopefully).

I talked to Dan Walters some time ago about the WRX and he feels the same just as long as it's done right.

Id have to agree. While the M3 is limited to making power (this is Dj), I only made 229whp at 3176 minimum weight, nowhere even close to TTC power/weight, in fact closer to TTD. The WRX would have huge gains there and powering out of corners, although that wasnt really an issue with my car.

Can't say i would recommend any WRX for long term tracking unless your budget is big. 02-03 have the weakest transmissions, and depending on power level and how efficient the setup you'll go through an engine or two.

I think you will have a hard time beating a C5Z in cost and reliability per level of competitiveness.
there are no standing starts in TT, and you can blow up anything if you're dumb

Well... most of the C5 mafia is running around on 100,000+ mile motors and I don't know of anyone who's had a catastrophic failure. Shit... Mr. Perkins won Nats on 7 cylinders then went home and fixed it.

Vs.

Mr. Justin Matthews who's on engine number 76 in his Scooby. When it works the car is awesome, but the thing eats motors way more than I'd have the stomach or budget for.

there are no standing starts in TT, and you can blow up anything if you're dumb

if you're ever looking for a good birthday or christmas present for scott, he can always use more pushrods

Can't say i would recommend any WRX for long term tracking unless your budget is big. 02-03 have the weakest transmissions, and depending on power level and how efficient the setup you'll go through an engine or two.

Another nay-sayer (no offense).

I was beating the snot out of mine for over 2 yrs with 300awhp and NEVER had an issue with the engine OR transmission. The reason people thing the transmissions are weak is because they modify the crap out of the 2.0 and then go out and do 7k RPM clutch dumps. Even the RA gearset can't hold up to this. Neither can the 06-07 transmissions (which are supposed to be as strong as the STi transmission)

Another thing is TUNING. As long as you're around 11:1 A/F and no more than 25psi, you're golden. My A/F was around 11:1 - 11.5:1 and I was at 24psi on a VF43 with STOCK INTERNALS.

Mods list:

VF43

STi top mount

3" turbo back exhaust

MLT 750cc injectors

-and a DAMN GOOD tune from Todd at Motion Lab Tuning

Zeal Function V6 coilovers

So, don't do clutch dumps and tune, tune, tune!!!

I'll be working with Jeff and Greg in the near future for a good, solid TTC car (my WRX).

I'll be working with Jeff and Greg in the near future for a good, solid TTC car (my WRX).

See you in the paddock (not on track ). Just playing.

Seriously though, there is a reason people say these things. I use to track turbo awd cars. You either have a huge budget, or the car is going to be broke all the time. There is a reason people say Keep it Simple Stupid with track cars. The more complexity, the more its going to be a POS. And racing even makes a miata look unreliable comparatively.

I come across so many wrx, evo, dsm owners that "think" oh well they are dead reliable in my HPDE for 2 seasons, ill prove you wrong! (I went through that stage too). Once they get into any sort of competitive environment the car just has constant issues and they lie to themselves that its reliable, it was "just that". People are telling you, because they either went through the experience themselves or know someone that did; we have heard this argument a million times.

The single best move I made in my "track career" was to go to a much slower, simpler setup. I ended up rwd, NA with a bone-stock motor. And I am loving how reliable it is. Can't win a championship if your always working on the car in the paddock, no matter how fast you are.

All that said, sorry for all of that, I did it, most likely youll still refuse to listen, so I wish you the best of luck. An AWD turbo car is definitely a good car to have for a class, but not necessarily good for your state of mind or driving.