What's it take to prep a C5 Z06?

docwyte

What's the recipe to prep a C5 Z06 for TTA?

What safety equipment are you using for a rollbar, seats, etc? Is it easy to delete the airbags and wire past the light to run a Momo steering wheel?

Thinking about picking up a stock one, so it'd need the basic safety gear (seats, harnesses, rollbar) plus wheels/tires and whatever other items to improve performance within the TTA rules...

TIA!

Is it worth the extra cash to get a 2002 405hp car? I'm finding good fairly cheap 2001 385hp cars...

It depends, remember we aren't drag racing. A well setup car can carve the turns better than a non-set up car.

And then there are all the "free" mods.

No... at the end of the day they make about the same power. Not enough to make a material difference. My 2001 has 122,000 miles on it and makes 365 rwhp with an Halltech filter and the cats cut out of the OEM h-pipe.

2001 vs 2002-2004

Depends on what minimum weight you want to run. And what tires you want to run (for adjusted power allowances). I run my 03 Z06 close to the minimum competition weight of 3118lbs and I had to remove hp to get the weight that low. I am only at 366rwhp with a bone stock setup and a detune.

One of the bad things about using the 01 is you are going to potentially use modification points to bump the hp to where it needs to be.

What are the "free" mods?

you should read the ruleset and understand it better before you start writing 5-figure checks for a car to compete within said ruleset.

No offense...

You can take a bone stock C5Z and run it competitively in TTA. Most of the TT people are moving towards fully race prep cars so they can do W2W if they want to. It is still one of the best bang for the buck you can buy.

Just asked a simple question. If you don't have the answer, why bother posting?

I have no experience with C5 corvettes, so I feel my question is reasonable. I've read the TT rules, so far I haven't seen a page in it that says "Free C5 Corvette Mods!".

Just checking to see if you even tried to read the rules. Way too many people don't. Happy to answer more specific stuff like that now that we know you at least half-assed tried

Anywho right after the big list of points mods that apply to EVERY car are the list of points-free mods that also apply to EVERY car. That's what they're referring to.

C5 guys - what's the hot tire setup now that the 255/18 Hoosier A is out? 275 As and less points mods elsewhere?

Clue me in! Just because I read them doesn't mean I didn't miss something. I confess I'm not the best at understanding and bending within the rule set...

I set the TTA record at VIR in February on 245s... Mr. Drivinhard has yet to make a trip back up to attempt to reclaim the record.

Free mods = Poly bushings, light weight clutch, etc.

Clue me in! Just because I read them doesn't mean I didn't miss something. I confess I'm not the best at understanding and bending within the rule set...

Free = meaning allowed without points assessment. Typical are small clutch, tons of weight loss, bushings, brake cooling mods, rear gear, yada yada. Figure $10k worth of parts for the free mods, before you get to the creative/expensive free mods

T1 bars, 04Z shocks, and 275 A's is a proven C5Z set-up. and pretty low cost

Not if you run smaller tires. On my current tires I could run 387 rwhp with my 3101 min comp weight. However, I don't have the points for the LT headers it'd take to make that much power.

What's the ratio for smaller tire size and weight loss? So you can run 295's and your comp weight is 3250, but instead you run 275's, etc

Read the "adjusted weight" section in the back of the rules.

In Time Trials, the softest tire is going to win. Period. A smaller Hoosier A is faster than a larger Hoosier R. Anything with a treadwear greater than a Hoosier R is not even in the same ballpark (ie NT01 or RA1). So you have to build your car around the softest, widest tire you can run while staying under 19 modification points. Since the C5Z06 starts with +7pts, you only have 12 to play with. The common, proven formula that has been covered a hundred times is:

+7 -- C5Z06

+13 -- Hoosier A6

-4 -- 275 versus the TTA class tire of 295 (minus four points for being 20mm narrower)

+2 -- aftermarket sway bars (T1, Pfadt, etc)

+18 modification points. Gives you another +1pt to play with if you have an 01 that needs a bump in power that an air intake will give you.

Immediate free mods that help without spending very much money: tune/detune for more torque under the curve and increased rev limiter, max camber, slight rake to the stance, and start removing as much weight as you can in order to put ballast in the rear to improve the f:r weight ratio.

Proper seats and harnesses (and rollbar but let’s not start that debate) will plant you behind the wheel and allow you to drive better as well.

Or you can run min weight, the mods from the point free list and 295 A Hoosier tires on a stock C5Z. Min weight and free mods are the key.

What's the ratio for smaller tire size and weight loss? So you can run 295's and your comp weight is 3250, but instead you run 275's, etc

min comp weight is 3118, not 3250.

you can have fun (and do well) in a dual street/track car, but there will be limits on how far you can take the development if it's still on the street. compromises everywhere, but you can do it.

275 tire gets you a .4 bump in power to weight (you can run more power/less weight) 245 gives you a .8 bump

275 tire gets you a .4 bump in power to weight (you can run more power/less weight) 245 gives you a .8 bump

that bump plus the fact it gives you extra points for other stuff seems to be the way to go, at least down to 275s. Waiting to see more people try the 245s though, might be "too far", might not be. Or could very well be course-dependent.

Got it. Appreciate the help. I know the car won't be totally prepped, but at the same time I need it to be a little civilized still since I won't be trailering it to events.

that bump plus the fact it gives you extra points for other stuff seems to be the way to go, at least down to 275s. Waiting to see more people try the 245s though, might be "too far", might not be. Or could very well be course-dependent.

245s are way too small... waste of time IMO.

Waiting to see more people try the 245s though, might be "too far", might not be. Or could very well be course-dependent.

track-dependent has my vote

if I had an unlimited budget I'd have a different pts sheet, tire/wheel, trans, shock, sway bar, and rear gear combo for every track

Or you can run min weight, the mods from the point free list and 295 A Hoosier tires on a stock C5Z. Min weight and free mods are the key.

Jeff,

Why are you making me do this? Are you testing us? You know we revere anything and everything you normally say.

You cannot run 295 Hoosier A6s on a C5Z06 and stay in TTA. The A6 is +13 and the C5Z is +7, so that puts you at +20 mod points and straight to the bottom of TTS.

-Kevin