AMP progress

bigbird4120

08Bullitt0572
....or will start breaking expensive cars and get fixed.

Probably this. It looks like there are a lot of high dollar cars owned by AMP club members.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• n80

• 08Bullitt0572

• Drumrboy

• Jim P.

TeamEvolutionMS

It isn't that hard of a compression zone..fyi If you break something going over that then that car shouldn't be on a track lol.

It isn't that hard of a compression zone..fyi If you break something going over that then that car shouldn't be on a track lol.

I dunno, It's a pretty hard hit near the apex. I was hitting the rear bump stops of the Z06 I drove there yesterday in that turn. I think there is some type of drainage grate in that area that makes the dip more severe. I heard some say that if you move over about half a car width you can cruise right past it. I did not try it, as I only got to run one session .

TeamEvolutionMS

I dunno, It's a pretty hard hit near the apex. I was hitting the rear bump stops of the Z06 I drove there yesterday in that turn. I think there is some type of drainage grate in that area that makes the dip more severe. I heard some say that if you move over about half a car width you can cruise right past it. I did not try it, as I only got to run one session .

You should have begged for more time!!! All kidding aside, if you stay about 1-2 ft off the curbing it really isn't even a bump. If you try to plant all 4 corners of the car on the curb then yea....it hurts. Once people actually get going out there with good tires and all you'll find you don't really need that extra 2 feet of room.

PushinTheLimit

I wonder how brakes are going to fair on that track? Doesn't look like you get much time to cool them at all out there.

I wonder how brakes are going to fair on that track? Doesn't look like you get much time to cool them at all out there.

I drove an Impala out there on Saturday. So street car, not set up for track time. The stock from the factory pads were fading right at the 20 min mark in a session. so not too bad. Better than CMP by far.

Really only a couple of heavy braking zones, most everywhere else its scrub a little speed or settle the car type braking.

I love it, I'll get some video up so ya'll can rag on me for goin slow.

Now I have to decide on AMP or Road Atl for fathers day weekend

I'm curious about the passing zones for HPDE1,2. There is a long straight from 16 to 1. I don't know about 1-2, 6-7-8, 10-11, 11-12. There may be some trains. I will be there next week.

How about getting back to us after you run AMP and let us know your impressions from a DE perspective.

After spending Friday at AMP, I would highly recommend this track. It is just plain fun. I still prefer Barber and Road Atlanta, but will add this track to my list of can't miss sessions.

From a DE 1-2 perspective, I would anticipate a lot of trains unless the number of entrants is limited. I may be wrong, but I don't see how this course could handle the number of entrants that Road Atlanta can handle.

As for passing, the front straight section consists of a left sweeper followed by a right. Depending on your speed, there is not a lot of room to pass before the braking zone. On Friday, the only passing zone for the DE1 group was set up toward the end of the left sweeper. Perhaps someone in that group could give their perspective. In my video, you can see the green cones that specify the start of the passing zone. Passing in other small straights would depend on the power of your car and how much the driver being passed eases off the throttle. I was fortunate to be in a group that allowed full course passing. I enjoyed passing someone in the middle of the carousel. This was my first pass in a turn. I was passed a couple of times at the beginning of the front 'straight', which was interesting. I would pull far to the right, give a point by and then wait. I could not see the car until it was beside me.

For me, there were two hard braking zones where I had downshift to 2nd. The other turns were not too bad. The top speed for me was 105 coming into turn one. I usually hit about 125-130 at Road Atlanta coming into 10a. But downshifting into second gear for a sharp left was definitely more exciting. I'm glad my brakes did not fade.

I had a hard time finding visual markers other than the cones. I'm sure this will change as the course continues development and I get more experience on the track.

Here is a video of a few laps in one of the afternoon sessions. The voice of a girl cheering in the video is coming from my passenger, not me.

that is my 2 cents.

Looks like a fun track for DE and TT. We'll have to see what the racers think about it. Wonder if they have had any actual races there? Hope to get there for the NASA event in October.

A few off topic questions:

What tires where you on? I could hear a lot of feedback from them.

Who was in the car with you?

Where did you mount your microphone? The audio was pretty good.

Looks like a fun track for DE and TT. We'll have to see what the racers think about it. Wonder if they have had any actual races there? Hope to get there for the NASA event in October.

A few off topic questions:

What tires where you on? I could hear a lot of feedback from them.

I'm running on Star Specs. They have been great. I have used them at Roebling, Barber, RA and now AMP.

Who was in the car with you?

My fiancee's daughter. I started at the back of the grid. Since this is a new track and I had a passenger, I tried to not drive too hard.

Where did you mount your microphone? The audio was pretty good.

I have a GoPro mounted on my windshield. I am using the internal microphone. It is mounted to the right of my mirror where it does not affect visibility. It is mounted inverted. I flip the view back to normal on my pc.

08Bullitt0572
I'm curious about the passing zones for HPDE1,2. There is a long straight from 16 to 1. I don't know about 1-2, 6-7-8, 10-11, 11-12. There may be some trains. I will be there next week.

How about getting back to us after you run AMP and let us know your impressions from a DE perspective.

After spending Friday at AMP, I would highly recommend this track. It is just plain fun. I still prefer Barber and Road Atlanta, but will add this track to my list of can't miss sessions.

From a DE 1-2 perspective, I would anticipate a lot of trains unless the number of entrants is limited. I may be wrong, but I don't see how this course could handle the number of entrants that Road Atlanta can handle.

As for passing, the front straight section consists of a left sweeper followed by a right. Depending on your speed, there is not a lot of room to pass before the braking zone. On Friday, the only passing zone for the DE1 group was set up toward the end of the left sweeper. Perhaps someone in that group could give their perspective. In my video, you can see the green cones that specify the start of the passing zone. Passing in other small straights would depend on the power of your car and how much the driver being passed eases off the throttle. I was fortunate to be in a group that allowed full course passing. I enjoyed passing someone in the middle of the carousel. This was my first pass in a turn. I was passed a couple of times at the beginning of the front 'straight', which was interesting. I would pull far to the right, give a point by and then wait. I could not see the car until it was beside me.

For me, there were two hard braking zones where I had downshift to 2nd. The other turns were not too bad. The top speed for me was 105 coming into turn one. I usually hit about 125-130 at Road Atlanta coming into 10a. But downshifting into second gear for a sharp left was definitely more exciting. I'm glad my brakes did not fade.

I had a hard time finding visual markers other than the cones. I'm sure this will change as the course continues development and I get more experience on the track.

Here is a video of a few laps in one of the afternoon sessions. The voice of a girl cheering in the video is coming from my passenger, not me.

that is my 2 cents.

I was there on Friday in the A group, in the goldish-yellow Mustang. Very technical and fun track. I took it easy and did the whole course in 3rd gear. I could probably drop to 2nd in the future in a couple of spots, but didn't really need it (gotta love the new 5.0 Mustang torque). I topped out around 80ish MPH at 7K RPM down the straight, but next time I will feel comfortable getting into 4th gear and going faster. My coach was great and was impressed that I had the line down so well by the end of the day- he signed me off for the B solo group for the next one. I am glad that we only had that one passing zone. Passing anywhere else is going to be tricky and will invite disaster except for the most experienced drivers. During my last run a Porsche passed me on the straight and went in too hot into turn 1 and went 4 wheels off and took out the apex cone. One thing I noticed is that one turn sets you up for the next one or two turns in most parts of the track, so if you get off line getting back on line will take you a turn or two.

I'm sure the markers will get better once the track is finished off. They are still landscaping and have to paint the gators. I was a little taken aback by the state of the paddock area when I got there in the morning. I expected it to at least be fully paved and larger. The track was ready, which is what counted. After a couple of runs and that nice lunch everything else didn't matter anymore. Once this place is finished it is going to rock. I agree with your point about the capacity- I did not see enough paddock real estate to handle an all-out NASA weekend. Seeing how long pit lane was, maybe there was more area available than we were able to see. Jim & Julie are going to have to look into that before opening registration. I think they said we had 55 cars registered, and just NASA-SE DE alone is often triple that.

Here is a video of my next to last session in the afternoon:

heavychevy

You should have begged for more time!!! All kidding aside, if you stay about 1-2 ft off the curbing it really isn't even a bump. If you try to plant all 4 corners of the car on the curb then yea....it hurts. Once people actually get going out there with good tires and all you'll find you don't really need that extra 2 feet of room.

That is not true, there is a serious pronounced dip exactly two feet off the curb, anyone with a low extended front lip that actually corners hard will scrape. Especially when the track rubbers in and people are running stickers. I would bet any car that scrapes going into the hot pits at Road Atlanta will scrape there, and that's quite a few cars.

TeamEvolutionMS

That is not true, there is a serious pronounced dip exactly two feet off the curb, anyone with a low extended front lip that actually corners hard will scrape. Especially when the track rubbers in and people are running stickers. I would bet any car that scrapes going into the hot pits at Road Atlanta will scrape there, and that's quite a few cars.

The bump is actually touching (underneath) the apex curbing, and gets progressively smaller the more you move to the left and as you move uphill. A Ferrari 458, Porsche 911 GT3 and GT3 RS, C6 Z06, Audi R8, BMW M3, Mercedes C63, and numerous others have not had issues with the front lip/splitter coming in contact with the ground. I was taking that turn at the limit in all of the cars listed, and was using the curbing just like you would in a fully race prep'd vehicle. Again it all depends on car setup. With a few of the cars I was hitting the rear bump-stops. When it's time for AMP to hold the NASA weekend walk the track before the event and measure the incline if you think you might have a problem, or ask for a track map showing the elevation changes. If you take the right line the entire car is sliding up the hill at the same progressive incline. Picture hitting an apex curb with your wheel at turn in, vs hitting an apex curb while sliding through the grass back onto the track. Big difference.

Just curious. Why defend a track feature that needs defending? Unless it adds to the driving experience or safety why does it need to be there? If it has a purpose then so be it. If it has no purpose and has to be avoided then why not fix it?

(I'm not trying to make a point or question your knowledge, I'm genuinely curious and no offense whatsoever is intended.)

TeamEvolutionMS
Just curious. Why defend a track feature that needs defending? Unless it adds to the driving experience or safety why does it need to be there? If it has a purpose then so be it. If it has no purpose and has to be avoided then why not fix it?

(I'm not trying to make a point or question your knowledge, I'm genuinely curious and no offense whatsoever is intended.)

all good . There is a drain underneath the track in that area that cannot be moved. The track designers (Tilke GmbH) knew about the drain and made an adjustment to the track based on the projected size of the drain. I don't personally know the dimensions. As a result, it creates a compression zone which has a huge effect on the car that is passing over it. More compression = more grip and an increased cornering speed. That is something that the track wanted to have there. Could it be fixed somehow? Probably, I'm not a track designer so I don't know how, but it probably could be done. I'm "defending" the track for a number of reasons; It's a brand new facility, having just opened there are always room for improvements, It is in no way shape or form dangerous or something that will destroy your car, and the minor little detail that I work for AMP .

08Bullitt0572

The only thing that gave me a bit of a problem was when I turned into turn 1; if I apexed too close to the gator I could feel my solid rear axle lift my left rear wheel off the track a little. It might unsettle your car depending on how fast you are going (like the guy that passed me):

Thanks Kevin. I personally will probably not have anything to worry about. Still on factory suspension and still pretty slow. Hoping to get to AMP in October.

heavychevy

The bump is actually touching (underneath) the apex curbing, and gets progressively smaller the more you move to the left and as you move uphill. A Ferrari 458, Porsche 911 GT3 and GT3 RS, C6 Z06, Audi R8, BMW M3, Mercedes C63, and numerous others have not had issues with the front lip/splitter coming in contact with the ground. I was taking that turn at the limit in all of the cars listed, and was using the curbing just like you would in a fully race prep'd vehicle. Again it all depends on car setup. With a few of the cars I was hitting the rear bump-stops. When it's time for AMP to hold the NASA weekend walk the track before the event and measure the incline if you think you might have a problem, or ask for a track map showing the elevation changes. If you take the right line the entire car is sliding up the hill at the same progressive incline. Picture hitting an apex curb with your wheel at turn in, vs hitting an apex curb while sliding through the grass back onto the track. Big difference.

If you move too far left, you will be off line and not able to carry any speed and stay on the track. Sliding isn't fast IMO, especially uphill. Furthermore we are not talking about going up the hill, the divot is at the bottom of the hill. And the right line is the one that is the fastest and rest assured were it smooth down there, the fastest line would be the one using as much curb as possible (and some grass if need be). It's much like a inverted turn 3 at Road Atlanta. And I have to assume none of the cars you were driving were on real race tires at race ride heights since those haven't really been allowed yet.

It's not make or break, but could be addressed as it will cause some setup problems for some people. However since this track is not aero dependent, a few mm ride height should not hurt people too much.

jymontoya

I was there on Friday in the A group, in the goldish-yellow Mustang. Very technical and fun track. I took it easy and did the whole course in 3rd gear. I could probably drop to 2nd in the future in a couple of spots, but didn't really need it (gotta love the new 5.0 Mustang torque). I topped out around 80ish MPH at 7K RPM down the straight, but next time I will feel comfortable getting into 4th gear and going faster. My coach was great and was impressed that I had the line down so well by the end of the day- he signed me off for the B solo group for the next one. I am glad that we only had that one passing zone. Passing anywhere else is going to be tricky and will invite disaster except for the most experienced drivers. During my last run a Porsche passed me on the straight and went in too hot into turn 1 and went 4 wheels off and took out the apex cone. One thing I noticed is that one turn sets you up for the next one or two turns in most parts of the track, so if you get off line getting back on line will take you a turn or two.

I'm sure the markers will get better once the track is finished off. They are still landscaping and have to paint the gators. I was a little taken aback by the state of the paddock area when I got there in the morning. I expected it to at least be fully paved and larger. The track was ready, which is what counted. After a couple of runs and that nice lunch everything else didn't matter anymore. Once this place is finished it is going to rock. I agree with your point about the capacity- I did not see enough paddock real estate to handle an all-out NASA weekend. Seeing how long pit lane was, maybe there was more area available than we were able to see. Jim & Julie are going to have to look into that before opening registration. I think they said we had 55 cars registered, and just NASA-SE DE alone is often triple that.

Here is a video of my next to last session in the afternoon:

Ken-

It was good to see you out there! Thanks for sharing the video...

I really like AMP. I've only got Road Atlanta to compare it to so far, but it was very technically challenging, and an exciting new way to drive the car. I ran in the Intermediate group B, and after the second session, everyone was tearing it up! We didn't have any trains to speak of, as all of the drivers in this group did an excellent job of pointing and passing ALL OVER THE TRACK. If you are not comfortable doing that, you need to stay in the beginner group on this track. You'll end up getting complained about and black flagged if you're not giving point bys as necessary, even in the corners. There just simply isn't enough straight away here to get by with only passing on the straight. By the end of the day I was hitting ~110mph on the front straight, and I really don't expect see more than 115-120mph, even when they start allowing slicks. Relatively slow speeds around several corners meant downshifting to 2nd and enjoying some nice light drifting on corner exit as you help it rotate through Turn 1 and Turn 6. GREAT FUN! Will share some video shortly.

Speaking of the T11 area... It's like a 'Gravity Bowl' through those parts, accelerating down hill then braking down hill, then accelerating and braking going up! Very Exciting! It's right after my favorite turn there, 10!!! I also felt the dip at the bottom of T11 was a bit overly harsh when taking an aggressive line. Hitting the curbing there was as bad as hitting the outside gators on 10b at RA (DEEP!). However, if you just barely put 1 tire on them, it's not so bad, and actually felt faster as you could get back on the throttle sooner. I suspect once grass grows there that people will end up hitting it like T3 at RA, with 2 tires completely off the tarmac, missing the ugly bumps all together. The current mud everywhere didn't really allow us to try this last weekend...

Once they get the grass growing all around, this is going to be just beautiful. I'm also excited to see where they put the stands, because if you get about 10' off the ground on the front straight, you can see a HUGE portion of the track. Very cool for those of us with extremely supportive wives!

They need to pave the parking lots, PRONTO. Even if its temporary, and will be torn up as the construction expands. Track cars, sticky tires, and grass, mud and gravel don't mix at all. Just put down the cheapest layer of asphalt you can... I don't see how they can expect to host an event as large as NASA without CONSIDERABLE improvements to the paddock area. I would rather see them keep the porta-potties and get some sort of paving in the parking areas than to put in the fancy bathrooms with 'granite countertops' they told us were coming next. Everyone at this event had street tires, so we were able to deal with the gravel a bit. But I can't imagine them trying to host NASA with all the race cars and tires and asking that everyone park on gravel, grass and dirt. I want AMP to succeed, so I'm just going to cough this up to teething issues, and will be rectified in the coming weeks. When they do, I'll be back for sure!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Folks,

We have obtained a sound meter and will have it at various locations at the June Jam at Road Atlanta. We will take down car #'s and group info for folks who break the 98 db limit - we will post that info at the NASA hauler over the weekend if you want to know if you need to quiet your car down for the AMP event in October.

Drumrboy

If you can post the dB's of the cars that are over 98 it'd be helpful. If you're 99, its one thing, if you're 104 you gots a lot more work to do.......

• Members
If you can post the dB's of the cars that are over 98 it'd be helpful. If you're 99, its one thing, if you're 104 you gots a lot more work to do.......

That's our plan to post every car that we can identify and the dB.