bigbird4120

AMP progress

PushinTheLimit

Very cool Jim

drivinhardz06

I hope to break 78

Drumrboy
If you can post the dB's of the cars that are over 98 it'd be helpful. If you're 99, its one thing, if you're 104 you gots a lot more work to do.......

That's our plan to post every car that we can identify and the dB.

Grazzi, that's awesome. If you can do it for several sessions, we can try different stuff (like turn downs etc) to see what kind of difference they make.

.....and we'll get Mark a recording and some high watt cabs to broadcast enough V8 mojo to break the 98 dB limit

King Tut

What about cars with rules that don't allow modifications to the spec exhaust?

kbrew8991

Seems like a one-time / only for this event exception written into the supps for the event would fly just fine

SpecE30s and SMs should be able to get below 98 dB without extra stuff I would expect though....

Falcon

Would it be possible to post that list here on the forum so that we who can't make it to Atlanta can estimate where our cars would fit? Many of us know people who have cars similar to ours so we match ours up to the cars on the list.

jimbow

Hey cheap guy, go to the Radio Shack just down the road from the trailer park.

Pick up a sound meter (I heard something like $70 will get you a duplicate of the ones used at AMP)

Have someone stand about 30' behing your exhaust outlet.

Hold your engine at WOT for a little while.

Check your sound reading.

Once its in the zone (95 - 98db) pack the meter in its original packaging and return it

Falcon

Once its in the zone (95 - 98db) pack the meter in its original packaging and return it

Red Tornado

Jim as usual your awesome!!!

Am so curious to see what my boss does with it's stock headers. I never think its to loud but who knows

Also if amp is like RRR you can just aim exhaust tips towards infield and be fine even w car loud as he!! In infield

Jim P.
Would it be possible to post that list here on the forum so that we who can't make it to Atlanta can estimate where our cars would fit? Many of us know people who have cars similar to ours so we match ours up to the cars on the list.

It is our plan to take the meter to every event up to the AMP one so that folks can get readings at many tracks/situations.

jimbow
Jim as usual your awesome!!!

Am so curious to see what my boss does with it's stock headers. I never think its to loud but who knows

Also if amp is like RRR you can just aim exhaust tips towards infield and be fine even w car loud as he!! In infield

Nope, turn downs and turn aways won't help you at AMP. a sound meter at every corner (inside, outside)

And a couple other places that change as required.

n80

I've never run anywhere but CMP but looking at other tracks I see there is a differene in price depending on which track the event is at. AMP appears to be one of the more expensive tracks. More than places like VIR. Its no big deal but as a noob I'm curious about what drives the cost. Is it purely the rental fee set by the track? If so, why would AMP be so expensive compared to other large tracks? (From this thread it sounds like the paddock area at AMP is not finished).

Jim P.
I've never run anywhere but CMP but looking at other tracks I see there is a differene in price depending on which track the event is at. AMP appears to be one of the more expensive tracks. More than places like VIR. Its no big deal but as a noob I'm curious about what drives the cost. Is it purely the rental fee set by the track? If so, why would AMP be so expensive compared to other large tracks? (From this thread it sounds like the paddock area at AMP is not finished).

That's a good question, the primary cost is the track rental, there are many more variables though.

Length of track - we can only put so many cars per mile of asphalt

hotels/concessions/restaurants - we have to feed and house the workers and staff

EV/Tow Trucks/corner workers - we have to rent what we don't staff

Insurance - some tracks require special insurance

Attendance - if we think turnout is low we have to cover all of these costs with higher fees

and lastly...

Other Groups - we compare our rates with other groups to see if we can even afford to host an event at the track, we have dropped Rockingham, NCCAR and hillclimbs because we couldn't charge enough to cover all of our expenses.

n80

Makes sense. Thanks.

timz06

you can download a free android soundmeter app which I have used at industrial plants, it is pretty accurate.

Tim

Lemming
you can download a free android soundmeter app which I have used at industrial plants, it is pretty accurate.

Tim

snakebit

Tim

So I downloaded an app for my Droid and conducted a very "unscientific" test today. I started the car and let it warm up for a few minutes then had my Daughter hold the phone 12.5' away from my side exit exhaust. I reved the motor several times to 4-5k. I think there are some anomalies going on with the SPL when I lift the throttle with no load on the engine. I think full throttle acceleration under load would yield different results.

Anyway, I was 140.5 db @12.5'. which should translate to 128.5 db @50'.

This is a stock 4.6 2v with long tube headers, x-pipe and side exit exhaust (no mufflers)

John

Drumrboy

Seems pretty high. If dB is a log scale, that means you'd be an order of magnitude louder than folks who run in the low 100's. I'm sure its loud but, 128 @ 50 feet seems high to me.

140 Deafening Artillery fire

130 Deafening Threshold of pain, decibels at or above 130 cause immediate ear damage. Hydraulic press, pneumatic rock drill

120 Deafening Riveter, chipper, thunder, diesel engine room, fireworks display

110 Deafening Punch press, close to a train, ball mill

robbodleimages

i was at AMP this weekend for the SCCA event there. the sound situation seems to be very tenuous. very nervous. the SCCA supps said to prepare for a 95db limit. even with that the track did not seem to be comfortable with the sound numbers coming from SCCA meter and they set up their own gear at another spot on the track. As you might guess there was little agreement between the two sound meters.

i imagine this will be a fluid situation for a while. worth monitoring

n80

Where do the sound restrictions for AMP come from? Is it a hearing/safety issue? Is it a zoning issue? Or is it a comfort issue?

I guess the corollary to this question is, do the cars that race/TT in NASA need to be so loud as to represent a hearing risk in order to achieve peak performance?

Firebird Man

I'm beginning to think the cards Ed puts in his bicycle spokes will be over the limit there.

heavychevy
Where do the sound restrictions for AMP come from? Is it a hearing/safety issue? Is it a zoning issue? Or is it a comfort issue?

I guess the corollary to this question is, do the cars that race/TT in NASA need to be so loud as to represent a hearing risk in order to achieve peak performance?

A nimby issue, their horsies might not reproduce anymore with a little noise.

bigbird4120

I believe this http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/18644077/court-dismisses-appeals-over-motorsports-park put an end to the immediate nimby issues. My recollection of the news and conversations with Don and Jeremy ( Do not hold them responsible for my memory) were that these were the only neighbors who were upset. The others were a bit more distant from the track and from reality, on occasion. One posted a blog (moveAMP.blogspot.com) complete with crashed racing motorcycle pics, no recent posts, and a total of eleven (11) members. The author, in his profile states "Location is unjust, the county/city steamrolled over constituents in the "rezoned" area and the rezoing process by the city and county was good ole' boy politics at its finest." (KJ fm blog). Look at googleMaps or the like for overheads to show exactly how many people actually COULD be upset. A lot of trees would have to complain....

My thought is that as the people to whom the sound level issue is important get used to the track, the sound level may be relaxed somewhat. This is of course contingent upon Jeremy being personally OK with louder cars.

snakebit
I'm sure its loud but, 128 @ 50 feet seems high to me.

The car is loud but not that loud. I don't think just revving the motor is going to give accurate results. There also could have been some bounce from the other side of the car, off my house.

I'm planning on a motor build this summer, that would be a good time to add mufflers. Any suggestions?

John