Spec Toybaru

RockLobster

So forgive me if this has been discussed, a quick search didn't turn up anything. If it hasn't id be shocked...

But has it not struck anyone else that the Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S is just about the best platform for a new spec series that has come from the manufacturers possibly...ever?

Affordable, light, just the right amount of power for a spec series IMO. Looks to be a great, balanced chassis for road racing....etc etc

Two nameplates add an interesting twist...

When do we form this series!?!

new Spec series were *supposed* to get their start as part of Performance Touring until there were enough cars to break off into their own series. This was all part of the deal when alot of older spec / semi-spec classes were shut down / folded into PT around the time of the first couple NASA Nationals. I don't know why the 350Z people got to bypass that, but it seems like they've got alot of momentum already and that getting split off from PT would be inevitable.

The first Toyobaru hasn't even gotten into the hands of its owner here in the states yet, but I do love how much enthusiasim there is for this car

That makes sense...i figured there was method to it...the thing that keeps going through my head is how did modern Toyota (great yet boring cars for years) and subaru (the turbo AWD folks) out "Mazda".......Mazda?

What makes it most attractive for me is the weight, it's really what both the RX-8 and the Genesis SHOULD have weighed. If it by some miracle ends up mechanically being bullet proof for use on race rubber out of the box...i bet they start crawling all over tracks...if only toyota had a weekend racer program like mazda...

Toyota has provided support in some form or fashion for quite a while, but it hasn't been widely publicized since like you said they haven't really made anything sporty in a while. Right now they still offer an autoxer/racer/etc discounted parts program fwiw. Maybe that will expand when this car is out and kicking some ass

And this car will raise the bar for other mfgs to beat. Should be exciting now and in the future.

It's not going to be a Toyota. You will likely need to wait a few years before people will be willing to commit $35,000 dollars or so to buy, and build a racecar out of one.

So forgive me if this has been discussed, a quick search didn't turn up anything. If it hasn't id be shocked...

But has it not struck anyone else that the Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S is just about the best platform for a new spec series that has come from the manufacturers possibly...ever?

Affordable, light, just the right amount of power for a spec series IMO. Looks to be a great, balanced chassis for road racing....etc etc

Two nameplates add an interesting twist...

When do we form this series!?!

Holy fanboy batman!

The best spec car EVER?

exactly how is it better than say,... the miata?

keep in mind there are currently spec miata classes in nasa and scca, for a reason. I agree it could make a very very good spec series, but its pretty bold of you to claim its the best ever. Theres way too much hype over that car in my opinion. Its filled a void that definately needed filling, but its nothing novel or unique.

the point I was trying to make is that what makes any class good is the number of participants, so until a ton of people who are mature enough and can afford to road race them buy them (aka not 16 year olds whos mommy and daddy bought it for them) its not a good platform. That day will most likely come sooner rather than later, but until then its not a good platform. On paper 911's make horrible track day cars for inexperienced racers, yet there are a TON of those out there racing and its successful because a lot of people own them, and of those people a lot of them want to road race and can afford it.

If tons of people wanted to race pintos all of the sudden, thats what nasa would support because nasa doesn't care WHAT people are driving, just that they are in fact driving.

and sorry if I came off rude, I'm just extremely tired of a car that hasn't started being sold yet getting praise from everyone and their mother as the best thing since sliced bread.

Was more just meant for a fun discussion. How can you hate a car that isn't even on the road yet? Give it a chance to beat you first!

Please understand that is a joke..

might want to stay off the internet for the next few months then

I know, I've basically given up on jnc....

Was more just meant for a fun discussion. How can you hate a car that isn't even on the road yet? Give it a chance to beat you first!

Please understand that is a joke..

Never sad a single bad word about the car. Its the people who have never driven them but say they are the best car ever made that bothers me.

All fun and games lol. I just look at a 150 ft lb powered car and think it wont be that great.

The 2.0 liter s2000 has more torque than the toybaru and can rev nearly 2000 rpms higher.

The newer rx-7's and rx-8 have more torque and can rev higher.

The older rx-7's weigh almost 400-500 lbs less than the toybaru.

Also, while all of those cars are "fun to drive", were talking about,

"the Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S is just about the best platform for a new spec series that has come from the manufacturers possibly...ever?"

Which is entirely what I've been disagreeing with this whole time. I don't understand why everyone is thinking I'm bashing the car, I'm not. I'm saying its not as good as everyone says it is. Jeremy Lin isn't all that he's cracked up to be and neither is the toybaru. Does that mean they aren't good? Ones in the NBA for good reason and ones made by a company (subaru) who is fairly good at making cars, so I'd expect them both to perform well. Well is completely different than BEST EVER. IT JUST IS.

It should be a fun track car. I'd like to lease one just to try it out and see what it's like...only on the road of course