Race Seats

Wingnut

Well, I looked though the forums and through the rule book but I can't find any useful info on race seat installs.

Question #1: What do I need to have as far as seats, supports, and harnesses?

Question #2: Who has the best prices?

Nothing to do with the question...

...but I saw your car at VIR recently. I just now noticed the decimal point in 5.56 and the USMC logo in your sig. It all makes sense now!

You can do many different seat variations. I believe you need a back brace with non-FIA seat, and if I still remember correctly you need either a halo seat or side net.

I run the newer Kirkey halo roadrace seat with a back brace AND side net. Safety first! Kirkey seemed to be the only one with a tall but not wide seat and a suitable halo (which is adjustable). I bought mine from Piper Motorsport (OG Racing also have them last I checked) and had them fit it with a custom bracket so that I'd get low enough. I also looked at Racetech (Bimmerworld) and Cobra seats, though very nice, they were either too short or too wide.

You will be doing some major workouts as well as fine and quick thinking in this chair. My advice is to spend money to get comfortable and safe. In terms that will also make you faster.

^ I sat in his seat when I was looking, and wound up buying the same seat from OG. I made my own seat mount from steel bar stock, as my corbeau slider mount was too high. I already had an IOPort seat back brace. I also have a right side net that will be reinstalled this season, even with the halo seat.

Unless the plan is to get it before Summit, I suggest sitting in a few before you buy one. The track is the best place to find just about every seat. Just look for somebody with your praportions and ask them about their seat.

Unless the plan is to get it before Summit, I suggest sitting in a few before you buy one. The track is the best place to find just about every seat. Just look for somebody with your praportions and ask them about their seat.

Agreed. Check out OG's Closeout specials. They're getting rid of some out of date stuff. These will be legal with the back brace installed. I'd hop over there and sit in a few. Make sure you skip the Sprint 5 or similar tube based seats....shell only.

• Members

Agreed. Check out OG's Closeout specials. They're getting rid of some out of date stuff. These will be legal with the back brace installed. I'd hop over there and sit in a few. Make sure you skip the Sprint 5 or similar tube based seats....shell only.

100% agree with Will. You will not find a better selection of seats to sit in than OG. Plus they are only 30-40 mins from your location (right near Dulles Airport).

Nothing to do with the question...

...but I saw your car at VIR recently. I just now noticed the decimal point in 5.56 and the USMC logo in your sig. It all makes sense now!

Thanks all for the replies. I have infact, sat in all the seats over at OG Racing. The typical problem I'm running into is too may choices and limited budget.

What exactly is a "halo?"

And jcsperson: I read through the NASA and Spec 3 specific rules. I didn't find anywhere specifying that you had to use positive whole only. So I immagine you could not only use decimals but also fractions, negative integers, and possibly even immaginary numbers (i) !

I just called OG Racing and they have a dispay closeout available for a Sparco 2000.

Question: Is it allowable to install the Sparco on the pax side and install a Kirky on the driver side? Or do they both have to be the same. FYI, the Sparco doesn't have a halo.

Also, I noticed on the OG site that the Kirky seats show no padding. What's up with that?

I just called OG Racing and they have a dispay closeout available for a Sparco 2000.

Question: Is it allowable to install the Sparco on the pax side and install a Kirky on the driver side? Or do they both have to be the same. FYI, the Sparco doesn't have a halo.

Also, I noticed on the OG site that the Kirky seats show no padding. What's up with that?

As an instructor, I think that would be fine, as long as there was a real harness (i'd wear the hans, too)

The cover on the Kirkey is sold separately, and the padding is part of the cover. To expand on what I did, I used the Kirkey mounting brackets bolted to my constructed steel supports. The brackets give you 3 holes each for front and rear seat-mounting points, allowing for a good amount of adjustability of seat position after the brackets are bolted down.

George (my dad) likes his lumbar support, too.

http://www.ogracing.com/kirkey-lumbar-support

Brackets like these, only actually designed for the full containment seat.

I had to ask for them - Brian was a big help, I think I called him about 5 or 6 times when discussing mounting options.

http://www.ogracing.com/kirkey-aluminum-side-mount

George is a bit shorter than me and was able to mount them to his sliders, but I don't recall if he retained the 'slider' portion or just the base.

• Members

I would expect Halo seats to be a requirement in the next 3-5 years. So it would make sense to buy on now for many reasons, your personal safety being the most imporant.

Also, make sure you have a center net properly installed in addition to the Halo. The center net helps to not only contain the person, but also control the movement/flex of the seat in an impact.