Use ABS or Not

vbspec

Hey guys quick question for those who have run with and with out abs...

After converting to H1 I upgraded to all brand new ITR 5 lugs and StopTechs big brake kit. Last year while getting used to the car I was running Hoosire R6's and BFG R1's. Now on the Toyo tire I have sucessfully distroied 3 tires in the last weekend. I switched from Raybestos ST43 pads to Hawk Blues as I really wasnt getting enough heat in the rotors (84deg od temp with brake ducts closed no higher than 545 max temp). I love the initial braking feel but if I am in a pinch when over taking or being over taken that last little squeeze seemed to lock up the tires really quick. So I'm thinking about adding an ITR ABS setup. My thought is that all my braking feel will remain the same but in situations where I need to give it that last hard squeeze "lock up" wouldnt happen.

Any thought? Good idea? Bad idea? Anything is welcome

Play with different pads compounds and get it to modulate better.

When I went to wilwood 6piston a while ago, they would lock up just barely touching them and I tried so many different pads. Now I have some raybestos that I am very happy with and can modulate very easily.. like if I need more bite just press harder!

I ran Time Trial for 5 years with ABS on my Elise. I loved that I did not have to worry about flat spots. I ran an H4 CRX for 4 races and managed to flat spot two tires pretty bad on my 4th day as I was getting used to running witout ABS. Then I sold the CRX and picked up my current car. My '97 Type R has ABS. I ran my first pair of races without ABS and it was OK. My car has good brake bias so it was no big deal. I had some lockup but did not flat spot any tires. I ran my next three races with ABS and I liked the confidence it provided. My 6th race my ABS failed halfway through the race. I ran my best time with the ABS working but managed two laps 0.5 off my best lap without ABS. I have since ran 2 more races without ABS and I plan on fixing it but I am not too woried about it. Be prepared to pay big bucks for an ITR ABS controller. Think $300 to $600 compared to a $30 GSR controller.

And keep in mind I am not a very fast driver.

• Members

Blues have felt terrible on every setup I've driven on. They're completely on/off, and IMO, don't give you the chance to "feel" the brake torque progressively increase. You may want to try switching compounds to something in the Hawk DTC series lineup or the Cobalt XR2/XR3. You may find that you still want to add the ABS after you switch, which is fine, since I think a compound switch will yield more effective braking when you're not activating the ABS.

+1 for a Cobalt XR2 front and XR5 rear setup. I've ran this on everything from an EK sedan to a CRX and had great bias and brake feel on every car. Can really feel thru the brake pedal and have ZERO lock up issues.

Just my humble $.02.

Regards,

Sam

• 1 month later...